RN looking to share trials and tribulations!

13»

Replies

• kateabusse
    kateabusse Posts: 13 Member
    FlattRN wrote: »
    kateabusse wrote: »
    granola bars, fruit bars, oatmeal bars etc..seem to be my struggle, so easy to throw in my purse and take on the go and delicious, but its all processed and my goal is to nix the processed food in my diet.. thats a toughy!

Having food ready and available is hard when trying to forgo processed foods, believe me I understand. I love cutie clementines, I've been trying to use those as my throw in the purse snack. I'd love more ideas!

Just saw your response! This is a great idea! I just ended up buying more granola bars cuz I was hungry at the grocery store! EEK bad idea! Now they will be in my cabinet for months lol, or in my tummy in days! I like fruit a lot, but I hate adding more sugars even if they are natural sugars.
  • kateabusse
    kateabusse Posts: 13 Member
    Hi! I'm not an RN but I just wanted to say thank you for all you do <3

Aww!!! That is sweet of you!! Thank you for the appreciation to this career! What do you do?
  • txrn123
    txrn123 Posts: 47 Member
    I'm an RN on a med surg floor. I do 8 and 12 hr shifts. Going by my fitbit, I average between 5 and 7 miles depending on if it's an 8 or 12 hr day. On my off days I make sure I walk enough to get up to 5 miles just so my calories burned stays around the same each day. Started MFP in January and added fitbit use in February. Have gone from 240 lbs to 214. I was hesitant to eat back the extra cals I burn at work but it has been a successful journey so far. I usually eat back 1/2 of them with an after work (midnight) snack.
  • FlattRN
    FlattRN Posts: 19 Member
    Kcinnamon wrote: »
    I'm graduating with my BSN next week. Feel free to add me too. I've lost 40 pounds during nursing school because I didn't think it fair to ask my patients to eat well and exercise if I couldn't do the same. I log everything, even the bad days. As for working out, it's too hard for me after a 12, but doing some yoga in the morning isn't impossible. The thing that amazes me is how much junk food is always available in the nurses breakroom. I pack everything for my day, including pocket snacks like soy nuts or homemade granola. That helps cause if I'm tempted I just eat what's in my pocket.

No joke about the junk food at work! Great job losing during Nursing school, that was almost one of the most stressful times in my life!
  • FlattRN

So kind if you, thank you!
  • FlattRN
    FlattRN wrote: »

So kind of you, thank you!

• liz4440
    liz4440 Posts: 15 Member
    Hey All,

OP, I also work neuro as an RN, I work nights, usually 4 in a row. For me it goes week by week and also when I work. I Actually love to try and get my shifts done earlier in the week, for some reason it help sets me up for better workouts later in the week. My main thing is I have to work out in the morning right after my shift. I find that is the best time for me. If i go home at all, its over! I cant tell you how many days I have set my alarm for 2pm in the afternoon with every intention of getting up for a run, and I dont. Nights have just destroyed any sort of normalcy I have ever had, and that includes exercising. Im lucky if i can find the energy to work out 3 days a week. I find that pre-planing my meals for the week works best. I dont bring my wallet into the hospital, that way I dont have any tempataion to eat anything that isnt healthy. and WATER WATER WATER... I probably drink 1 gallon of water during a night shift. All are welcomed to friend me, I would love having some support from other RNs
  • jmiller1028
    jmiller1028 Posts: 17 Member
    healthcare is rough. I think the worst stress eating can happen there. People end up bring in snacks all the time, drug reps bring in lunches...I started my weight gain while working inpatient psych and now that I work in a psychiatrists office I struggle because everyone has unhealthy eating habits.
  • Brynne1234
    Brynne1234 Posts: 52 Member
    MICU nurse here. I work 12 hour night shifts so having healthy food is key or else I hit the vending machines like crazy. I try to do the stairs during my shift (on 7th floor) if able. Otherwise workout on my days off. Anyone can feel free to add me!
  • mbbreckner
    mbbreckner Posts: 1 Member
    Hey everyone! Glad I came across this thread :D I'm a critical care RN and I work in the pediatric ER. I have been on maternity leave since June and will be going back to work in July. Trying to figure out the best routine and avoid the "junk food corner" at work. We do walk a ton in a 12 hour shift but nights tend to be a lot less. I do the 21 day fix DVD work outs at home right now and run but hoping to get back in the gym once I'm back to work.
    I agree that preparing meals and snacks ahead of time is the best thing you can do to keep yourself on track. And granola bars are a killer for me! So easy to grab and snack on. I did start making my own which is better since at least I control what goes into them.
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,148 Member
    Night nurse 7PM-7A in Labor and Delivery. It can be choaotic or very calm, not always a meal break in my cards. I've done lots of three in a rows but am cutting back because it gets hard. We self schedule. I do gym classes in the mornings and early afternoons. I check the schedule weekly against my own. I do lots of walking and/or running in the afternoons. My rest days are the second or third day in a row. It's never the same week to week but I just do what I can. Would love more n
  • lavrn03
    lavrn03 Posts: 235 Member
    Wow a lot of people on night! Bless you all! My body didn't like the night shift luckily I was able To switch to evenings after a few years.
    I find as long as I keep working out I feel good and want to eat better so it all works out at the end.
    I think we ALL want to live healthier because of our knowledge and what we see at work.
    I've done small obtainable goals and they keep adding up. I'm 2 months from my year when I started and down 46 lbs. I'm 9 lbs from goal!!!
    A lot of ups and downs this past year. Many things I could of used as excuses to stop or get off track. But I kept with it and treated everyday as a new day to start. And I am more proud that I've maintained that mindset then I am of the total weight loss.
    I found Im not being selfish if I want to take care of myself first. I've actually been able to take care of those around me better and with a more grateful attitude.
  • FlattRN
    Great suggestions here everyone! Thank you so much. Just worked two days with literally 5 ICU patients, our ICU was full and step down as well but they still assign me five pts with diagnoses like BL subdural bleed, pt full code can't get bp above 60/30 with stage 4 lung CA, AAA rupture, etc. It's been a rough week.
  • dano90
    dano90 Posts: 1 Member
    edited April 2015
    YAY!!! I'm excited about this RN thread!! :)

I'm a new RN working on a Med Surg Floor. I thought with being on my feet all the time the pounds would just fall off, but it is more difficult than I thought! I pack my lunch so I know exactly what I'm going to eat for breakfast and lunch, but the biggest thing I struggle with is EASY and HEALTHY options for supper after coming off a 12 hour shift (it is so much easier, not healthier, to go through drive through)

I'm 24, married and mother of a 1.5 year old; I have lost 20lbs using my fitness pal and am working on 10 more! I log on every day, love to comment on posts, work out, and sharing healthy recipes; so feel free to add me if you need a friend to motivate you on your weight loss journey and lifestyle change!
  • FlattRN
    dano90 wrote: »
    YAY!!! I'm excited about this RN thread!! :)

I'm a new RN working on a Med Surg Floor. I thought with being on my feet all the time the pounds would just fall off, but it is more difficult than I thought! I pack my lunch so I know exactly what I'm going to eat for breakfast and lunch, but the biggest thing I struggle with is EASY and HEALTHY options for supper after coming off a 12 hour shift (it is so much easier, not healthier, to go through drive through)

I'm 24, married and mother of a 1.5 year old; I have lost 20lbs using my fitness pal and am working on 10 more! I log on every day, love to comment on posts, work out, and sharing healthy recipes; so feel free to add me if you need a friend to motivate you on your weight loss journey and lifestyle change!

Nice to have you on here! I need tons of motivation! I had McDonald's tonight, bleh! Welcome!