UK vs. US portions and nutrition

1235»

Replies

• samgamgee
    samgamgee Posts: 398 Member
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    I've heard our food is a bit richer than american food, I'm surprised we don't all have gout to be honest...

Hah, yeah suet puddings, toad in the hole, dumplings, roast potatoes... 'Traditional' English food is a delicious nightmare.
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    aimeerace wrote: »
    I've heard our food is a bit richer than american food, I'm surprised we don't all have gout to be honest...

I always wanted to BE Henry VIII but never wanted his gout. Pahahahaha

Ha ha ha he is the only reason I know about gout. I would like to try swan pie...

I have visions of this massive pie with a swans head stuck out of it hahaha
    samgamgee wrote: »

Hah, yeah suet puddings, toad in the hole, dumplings, roast potatoes... 'Traditional' English food is a delicious nightmare.

Ah man. Toad in the hole with lashings of onion gravy. Sigh.
  • samgamgee

Haven't had a proper toad in the hole for ages, really want one now! This thread is going to be so bad for making me crave stodgy food haha. Must wait til dinner, cheesy potato bake tonight...

Haven't had a proper toad in the hole for ages, really want one now! This thread is going to be so bad for making me crave stodgy food haha. Must wait til dinner, cheesy potato bake tonight...

I made one a few months ago... It was like return of the Triffids... Was massive hahahaha!
  • samgamgee

I made one a few months ago... It was like return of the Triffids... Was massive hahahaha!

Lmao! I never learned how to make a decent batter, probably a good thing. I swear I put on half a stone when I learned how to cook good roast potatoes!
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    I got fat in uni in England. Eating out is expensive so the portions in question were what I was cooking for myself. Mainly pasta! If I could go back in time to my 18 year old self the main advice I would give is "weigh your pasta" and "pasta is not a snack".

I walked a lot as I had no car and we lived 40 minutes walk from one subject (I was joint honours), 30 minutes to work, 30 minutes to my other subject and 45 minutes to the student union. I still got big. 2 stone bigger. 28lb. So if you're mindful of your weight please sign up to the uni gym or join a sports team or use the pool or anything! Walking doesn't always cut it.

I read your no-alcohol rule. Sucks to be you! But seriously, that will make a big difference. I did weightwatchers in 3rd year and wow, I was blown away by realising how many calories I was taking on in the form of cider (mmm cider), wine, gin and tonic, snakebite, mojitos, shots, cheap lager in cans on clubs on boats etc... Basically - booze in general. Not all students drink but there is a massive drinking culture and although you can buy from age 18, everyone I knew had been drinking through sixth form. (The IDing rules have changed massively in the last decade though - I get asked for ID now as I look under 25 but I'm 32!)

If you're in halls don't go up for seconds as I did. Like any cafeteria style food, make sensible choices.

I hope you have an awesome time and make some great friends. My uni housemates are friends for life.

Also, on a non-food/exercise note: while you're in the UK, make the most of it. An American guy in my halls would go on trips with other US students around the country and one day he was working in the halls bar with me and said they'd been to the Museum of Welsh Life in St Fagans (which is near where I'm from) and I was asking him what he thought, had he done this thing or seen that thing and he said they'd sat in the café and didn't look around and I was like "whaaat?!" I just felt it was such a missed opportunity! I used to go there every school holiday and now I take my own kids. Anyway, Cardiff isn't too far from Cheltenham and cheap to get to from London so you could go see for yourself!

#longestpostever
  • Leyshinka
    Leyshinka Posts: 54 Member
    shannonbun wrote: »
    I've been making my tea the "proper English way" the boyfriend taught me, but I found out I put way too much sugar into it--gotta change that.

This sounds weird, but are there things like Splenda over there? Just no-calorie sweetners in general?

Oh my goodness... we aren't a third world country you know.
    Yes, we are civilised enough to have sweeteners. I really don't know how else to respond to this

Some of the so called "third world countries"do have sweeteners.
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,406 Member

I can't make toad in the hole to save my life. I end up burning the outside and raw batter with the sausages. Apparently its genetic, my mum can't make it either. lol
  • Lois_1989

Lmao! I never learned how to make a decent batter, probably a good thing. I swear I put on half a stone when I learned how to cook good roast potatoes!

Yes! And the ONLY time we make it with goose/duck fat is at Christmas and they are the BEST things in the world. I made cottage pie the yesterday and I admit it did make the mash with butter :naughty:
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    edited April 2015

I can't make toad in the hole to save my life. I end up burning the outside and raw batter with the sausages. Apparently its genetic, my mum can't make it either. lol

Do you heat the oil in the pan before you pour in the batter? My granny makes the best toad in the hole, and she heats the oil up really hot before adding the batter and the sausages (which she grills for like 5-10 minutes beforehand) then turns the oven down to a middling temperature to cook everything through. Then the outside goes golden brown and crispy, and the middle more fluffy.

If you're already doing all that, I think you have to accept you are just cursed :)
  • Lois_1989
    edited April 2015
    yesimpson wrote: »

Do you heat the oil in the pan before you pour in the batter? My granny makes the best toad in the hole, and she heats the oil up really hot before adding the batter and the sausages (which she grills for like 5-10 minutes beforehand) then turns the oven down to a middling temperature to cook everything through. Then the outside goes golden brown and crispy, and the middle more fluffy.

If you're already doing all that, I think you have to accept you are just cursed :)

Uh, I oven bake the sausages (full fat sausages) so the fat from the sausages lines the pan and then add the batter. I may have to try it your way, maybe I can break the curse. :smiley:
  • mollyyy125
    mollyyy125 Posts: 9 Member
    I went on exchange to France when I was in university. I left Canada at the heaviest weight of my life. While I was there I didn't have access to a scale OR a full length mirror. When I got home I weighed myself for the first time in 4 months to find I had lost 25lbs.

I wasn't eating WELL while I was there, but ultimately I was eating LESS. I also walked more than I have ever walked before.

Add me if you have any questions about exchange experiences in general, or ways to keep yourself active while away! I'll be happy to help in any way I can.

Good luck and have fun!