A Calorie REALLY ISN'T a Calorie

Replies

• SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    psssst....it's libel not slander with the written word.

And I would say the same to you that I said to Jonnythan. Slander can actually be spoken or written. See the link I provided.
  • SanteMulberry
    the 1,200 calories that every adult needs to keep all bodily systems operating well.

This is a completely nonsensical statement, and it says volumes about what you actually know about human nutrition.

Many here repeatedly refer to the minimum number of calories needed to maintain health as being 1,200--are you going to argue with them too? Trying to make out your opponent as ignorant is a very poor form of argumentation--but I suspect you know that and do it anyway. Why the desperation--why stoop to insulting others who disagree with you? What are your nutritional credentials, by the way?
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    forums are, in nature, a spoken communication because it involves a back and forth.

I see you understand law about as well as you understand nutrition.

That, in itself is another accusation that is unfounded. I was not discussing "the law"--I was discussing the rules here.

No, you were discussing the definition of "slander."

This is not spoken communication, even if there's "back and forth." There's back and forth in letters, newspaper articles, etc. They are, however, printed and not spoken. Nothing on MFP can be "slanderous" because there's literally no spoken word on MFP.

I have a journalism degree--and I took a course in journalism law. I'm well aware of the legal definition of both slander and libel. For a fuller view of both, read here: http://crime.about.com/blslander.htm

I was actually speaking in a more colloquial sense in my original complaint of "slander"--it is doubtful that anyone can or should make a claim of "libel" here. You can pick at my words all you want, but it is really off the OP--are you trying to derail the topic?

You claimed to have a psychology degree as well in the past. You seem to come up with having a degree in situations that benefit you to have such degree. I just find this interesting.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    the 1,200 calories that every adult needs to keep all bodily systems operating well.

This is a completely nonsensical statement, and it says volumes about what you actually know about human nutrition.

Many here repeatedly refer to the minimum number of calories needed to maintain health as being 1,200--are you going to argue with them too? Trying to make out your opponent as ignorant is a very poor form of argumentation--but I suspect you know that and do it anyway. Why the desperation--why stoop to insulting others who disagree with you? What are your nutritional credentials, by the way?

Yeah, I do argue with them. A lot of people on MFP say a lot of stupid things.

I'm not making you out to be ignorant. I'm just pointing out the nonsensical and wrong things you're saying.
  • SanteMulberry
    forums are, in nature, a spoken communication because it involves a back and forth.

That, in itself is another accusation that is unfounded. I was not discussing "the law"--I was discussing the rules here.

This is not spoken communication, even if there's "back and forth." There's back and forth in letters, newspaper articles, etc. They are, however, printed and not spoken. Nothing on MFP can be "slanderous" because there's literally no spoken word on MFP.

I have a journalism degree--and I took a course in journalism law. I'm well aware of the legal definition of both slander and libel. For a fuller view of both, read here: http://crime.about.com/blslander.htm

I was actually speaking in a more colloquial sense in my original complaint of "slander"--it is doubtful that anyone can or should make a claim of "libel" here. You can pick at my words all you want, but it is really off the OP--are you trying to derail the topic?

You claimed to have a psychology degree as well in the past. You seem to come up with having a degree in situations that benefit you to have such degree. I just find this interesting.

I have an undergraduate major in journalism from a widely respected school of journalism (The E. W. Scripps School of Journalism at Ohio University, if you must know.) I also have an M.S. in Counseling Psychology from another university in Ohio. In addition to those two degrees, I have a seminary degree from another institution. I do not lie. if that is what you are implying. Anything else you'd like to know?
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member

I have an undergraduate major in journalism from a widely respected school of journalism (The E. W. Scripps School of Journalism at Ohio University, if you must know.) I also have an M.S. in Counseling Psychology from another university in Ohio. In addition to those two degrees, I have a seminary degree from another institution. I do not lie. if that is what you are implying. Anything else you'd like to know?

Not at all, I just found it interesting. The seminary degree actually explains a lot.
  • SanteMulberry

I'm not making you out to be ignorant. I'm just pointing out the nonsensical and wrong things you're saying.

Based on what? You have yet to post a link to any scientific article in this discussion.
  • jonnythan

Based on what? You have yet to post a link to any scientific article in this discussion.

You're the one who said that said people need 1200 calories "to keep all bodily systems operating well." If you want to back up that ridiculous claim, you are more than welcome.
  • SanteMulberry

Not at all, I just found it interesting. The seminary degree actually explains a lot.

Was that meant as an insult too? I have never made any secret of my faith.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Still waiting on that study that some foods burn fat faster than others.
  • SanteMulberry

You're the one who said that said people need 1200 calories "to keep all bodily systems operating well." If you want to back up that ridiculous claim, you are more than welcome.

"...A diet based on 1200 calories daily is the recommended minimum for safe and healthy weight loss. This is because 1200 calories will generally provide an adequate nutritional intake for most individuals, yet still allows the reduction of calories to the level that most dieters require in order to lose weight. Many diet plans for weight loss that are developed by nutritionists and health professionals are based on 1200 calories daily..."

You can read the rest of the article here: http://www.everydiet.org/diet/1200-calorie-diet

It was merely the first article that I pulled up---I'm sure there are many, many more.
  • SanteMulberry

Go look it up yourself---there are many studies on the subject. I have to go.
  • jonnythan

Go look it up yourself---there are many studies on the subject. I have to go.

I don't recall you ever posting a link to an actual study.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member

And I would say the same to you that I said to Jonnythan. Slander can actually be spoken or written. See the link I provided.

Where do you get that from that link?

"Libel is committed when defamatory matter is published in permanent form or in a form which is deemed to be permanent. Defamation published by spoken word or in some other transitory form is slander."

In Pollard v Lyon, Mr. Lyon accused Ms Pollard of "being in bed with Captain Denty".

Them thar fightin' words!

The US Supreme Court defined slander as:

"... slander ... may be divided into five classes, as follows: (1.) Words falsely spoken of a person which impute to the party the commission of some criminal offence involving moral turpitude, for which the party, if the charge is true, may be indicted and punished. (2.) Words falsely spoken of a person which impute that the party is infected with some contagious disease, where, if the charge is true, it would exclude the party from society; or (3.) Defamatory words falsely spoken of a person, which impute to the party unfitness to perform the duties of an office or employment of profit, or the want of integrity in the discharge of the duties of such an office or employment. (4.) Defamatory words falsely spoken of a party which prejudice such party in his or her profession or trade. (5.) Defamatory words falsely spoken of a person, which, though not in themselves actionable, occasion the party special damage.

Historically, the common law used the word to capture both libel and slander, which lawyers today prefer to use the word defamation in that context.

The common law described what we now call slander as verbal or oral slander and libel as written or printed slander.

Unless I am reading it wrong - the context when it was used was historically - i.e. *was* in common law.
  • SanteMulberry
    "...A diet based on 1200 calories daily is the recommended minimum for safe and healthy weight loss. This is because 1200 calories will generally provide an adequate nutritional intake for most individuals, yet still allows the reduction of calories to the level that most dieters require in order to lose weight. Many diet plans for weight loss that are developed by nutritionists and health professionals are based on 1200 calories daily..."

You can read the rest of the article here: http://www.everydiet.org/diet/1200-calorie-diet

It was merely the first article that I pulled up---I'm sure there are many, many more.

You talk about "a link to any scientific article" and then give us a link to an unsourced anonymous blog article.

Well done. For all that time you spent in school....

And another insult? It is widely accepted by health professionals that 1,200 calories are the minimum needed for health maintenance. I explained that it was merely the first article that I pulled up but I am pressed for time and must go. You're quite welcome to have a go at it yourself. Have a good night.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    :huh:
  • kitka82
    kitka82 Posts: 350 Member
    In for the gif war... wrong thread? Aww :(
  • jonnythan
    It is widely accepted by health professionals that 1,200 calories are the minimum needed for health maintenance.

citation-needed.jpg?w=272
  • SanteMulberry

"Libel is committed when defamatory matter is published in permanent form or in a form which is deemed to be permanent. Defamation published by spoken word or in some other transitory form is slander."

In Pollard v Lyon, Mr. Lyon accused Ms Pollard of "being in bed with Captain Denty".

"... slander ... may be divided into five classes, as follows: (1.) Words falsely spoken of a person which impute to the party the commission of some criminal offence involving moral turpitude, for which the party, if the charge is true, may be indicted and punished. (2.) Words falsely spoken of a person which impute that the party is infected with some contagious disease, where, if the charge is true, it would exclude the party from society; or (3.) Defamatory words falsely spoken of a person, which impute to the party unfitness to perform the duties of an office or employment of profit, or the want of integrity in the discharge of the duties of such an office or employment. (4.) Defamatory words falsely spoken of a party which prejudice such party in his or her profession or trade. (5.) Defamatory words falsely spoken of a person, which, though not in themselves actionable, occasion the party special damage.

Historically, the common law used the word to capture both libel and slander, which lawyers today prefer to use the word defamation in that context.

The common law described what we now call slander as verbal or oral slander and libel as written or printed slander.

Unless I am reading it wrong - the context when it was used was historically - i.e. *was* in common law.

Are we discussing the law or are we discussing nutrition or are you merely interested in defaming me?
  • jonnythan

Are we discussing the law or are we discussing nutrition or are you merely interested in defaming me?

She is disputing your [incorrect] definition of slander.

Look, you used the wrong term. Your attempts at justifying it instead of just saying "oops, I goofed" are astonishing.