Paleo anyone?

13»

Replies

• jorinya
    jorinya Posts: 933 Member
    Hornsby wrote: »
    "Healthy" is subjective. It's fine. There is nothing magical about it though. I think it makes food taste icky so I stick with olive oil or butter.
    Each to their own. Olive oil is fab. Have you tried groungnut oil?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    jorinya wrote: »
    My friend uses coconut oil to fry but it actually is very healthy, its the only oil that doesn't burn and has zero cholesterol, that's what she said anyway. It leaves a nice taste.

She's wrong. Coconut oil is not the only oil without cholesterol.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Hornsby wrote: »
    "Healthy" is subjective. It's fine. There is nothing magical about it though. I think it makes food taste icky so I stick with olive oil or butter.
    Each to their own. Olive oil is fab. Have you tried groungnut oil?

Did you mean groundnut oil? As in peanut oil? As in oil made from the Paleo-frowned-upon legume? Yes, I use it for stir fry and popcorn.
  • jorinya
    jorinya Posts: 933 Member

Did you mean groundnut oil? As in peanut oil? As in oil made from the Paleo-frowned-upon legume? Yes, I use it for stir fry and popcorn.

Yes, the one and only. Once I have reached my target weight I might try the Paleo diet, very easy to follow where I am living. But, I love wheat, so I don't know. This comes from someone raised on potatoes. That's one food I could never do without. If I eat more potatoes I wouldn't be where I am today.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    My friend uses coconut oil to fry but it actually is very healthy, its the only oil that doesn't burn and has zero cholesterol, that's what she said anyway. It leaves a nice taste.

It's not healthier than other oils and all plant oils have zero cholesterol. It does burn, but smoke point is high (200 C I think?). Many other oils have a smoke point just as high or even higher like high oleic and refined oils, avocado oil, cotton seed oil, sesame oil, most nut oils...etc. Bottom line: there is nothing wrong with coconut oil if you like it, and there is nothing wrong with paleo either, but if you expect anything special from either you may be disappointed