I've put on weight since dieting and working out

2»

Replies

• SandraJayneP
    SandraJayneP Posts: 5 Member
    Ok.. I weight everything, down to the last piece of sweetcorn. I don't go above 1300 cals max Although I try to stick to 1200. I've used my fitness pal for 2 years and was losing weight. I have been working out every week for 2 years, but only doing zumba, lbt and pilates. Since the last week of March (more accuratly), I joined a new gym with more varied classes. I've been doing at least 6 classes a week and I've not lost anything. Oh, that's not accurate, I've lost 6% body fat since the start of the month.. so, I've lost body fat, increased weight and tighter jeans.
    Anyway, thank you all again for your comments. I'm sorry I wasn't more accurate with my initial post.. Sandra
  • deannaaaaaaaaa
    deannaaaaaaaaa Posts: 238 Member
    A huge change in workout routine (such as new classes etc), can stall weight loss. :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    It's water retention from the new exercise routine and totally normal.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Ok.. I weight everything, down to the last piece of sweetcorn. I don't go above 1300 cals max Although I try to stick to 1200. I've used my fitness pal for 2 years and was losing weight. I have been working out every week for 2 years, but only doing zumba, lbt and pilates. Since the last week of March (more accuratly), I joined a new gym with more varied classes. I've been doing at least 6 classes a week and I've not lost anything. Oh, that's not accurate, I've lost 6% body fat since the start of the month.. so, I've lost body fat, increased weight and tighter jeans.
    Anyway, thank you all again for your comments. I'm sorry I wasn't more accurate with my initial post.. Sandra

How are you calculating this? It makes no sense that you would have lost body fat% and yet gained weight and experienced tighter clothes.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    r0bb068 wrote: »
    Think of your body as a fire.To make it burn more you need to add fuel. So if your intake isn't matching your calories you burn during exercise and general day to day going on's ,you won't benefit. Eating more protein or taking supplements will help with the lack of energy during your workouts. Better workouts will equal extra calories burned. When I started to exercise regularly I increased my intake to match my calories burned and have had great results.

If she's gaining weight, adding more food won't help.
  • SandraJayneP
    SandraJayneP Posts: 5 Member
    The way I calculate my food is to put a plate on the scales, zero the scales, then as I add food I note down how much I put on the plate, and zero between each food. Then I enter it all into the app. Sorry if that sounds a bit condescending but how else would you calculate the amount you're eating if everything is being weighed out?!
    I've decided to increase my cals to 1400 and will see how it pans out for the next few months. I don't eat extra when I add exercises. I still stick to my target so over the last 4 weeks I've been 1000, 1500 and 800 cals under per week. One week I was 500 over but figured over 4 weeks my average is under the weekly target.
    Once again, thanks for the supportive comments.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    The way I calculate my food is to put a plate on the scales, zero the scales, then as I add food I note down how much I put on the plate, and zero between each food. Then I enter it all into the app. Sorry if that sounds a bit condescending but how else would you calculate the amount you're eating if everything is being weighed out?!
    I've decided to increase my cals to 1400 and will see how it pans out for the next few months. I don't eat extra when I add exercises. I still stick to my target so over the last 4 weeks I've been 1000, 1500 and 800 cals under per week. One week I was 500 over but figured over 4 weeks my average is under the weekly target.
    Once again, thanks for the supportive comments.

I think the question was specifically how you measured losing 6% body fat in the last month.
  • phitnessjunky
    phitnessjunky Posts: 22 Member
    I know a couple of people, who's strted insanity and all of them have told me that, their weight have increased?? On the scales. But the instructor, told them it was normal, and if they carried on till the end of the month , they will all see thier body getting tighter and smaller. I actually read somewhere, why some gain on scales whilst doing an intense, plyometric cardio. But I can't remember why.
  • r0bb068
    r0bb068 Posts: 8 Member
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    r0bb068 wrote: »
    Think of your body as a fire.To make it burn more you need to add fuel. So if your intake isn't matching your calories you burn during exercise and general day to day going on's ,you won't benefit. Eating more protein or taking supplements will help with the lack of energy during your workouts. Better workouts will equal extra calories burned. When I started to exercise regularly I increased my intake to match my calories burned and have had great results.

If she's gaining weight, adding more food won't help.

• r0bb068
    r0bb068 Posts: 8 Member
    Wrong way of thinking. If you add more calories, she will have more energy which will produce better workouts which inturn will mean more calories burned. Use MFP to track calories plus add calories tracked from workouts .