Calorie Counter

Message Boards MFP Suggestions/Feedback
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

You asked, you got - kind of. MFP Premium

Replies

• LolBroScienceLolBroScience Member Posts: 4,564 Member Member Posts: 4,564 Member
    minizebu wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    For those that aren't aware, here is how you can set your macros by gram:

http://karoshiethos.com/2013/08/13/javascript-bookmarklet-for-enhanced-macro-goals-in-myfitnesspal/

Nope. This does not work anymore if they have rolled out the premium offer to you. I had been happily using karoshiethos's bookmarklet for over a year, but yesterday I was prompted to switch to the premium online service (I have not switched), and this morning when I went to update my macros by the gram, the bookmarklet was no longer functional.

I am bummed, but I will just work around it by getting my numbers to the closest 5% and then writing down my actual gram by gram goals in my food diary notes. It's not a perfect work around, but it is better than paying $39.99/year. (I am not sure why everyone keeps quoting $50. That's not what I was offered for the online premium service.)

Set goals to 0 and makes notes for macro numbers? Profit.
  • maidentlmaidentl Member Posts: 3,231 Member Member Posts: 3,231 Member
    (I am not sure why everyone keeps quoting $50. That's not what I was offered for the online premium service.)

10171668_10206323078986992_3353799713563833891_n.jpg?oh=b2365cafaf0f64c024d59d93061f354f&oe=55A3BBD6

edited April 2015
  • PAV8888PAV8888 Member Posts: 7,255 Member Member Posts: 7,255 Member
    Am I the only one who thinks we should enter like we measure and the database should convert automatically?

194 grams of yogurt. Database value 100Cal per 175g. I break the calculator to figure out it is 1.10857. That should be a gimme.

Much harder, but if I can find the values, why can't MFP: Conversion tables for grams to ml, or cups to weight for when you're desperate.
    For example. I weighted my olive oil and it is 11g. Now what? I have to find on-line that it is about 0.92g/ml and convert. Possibly then do a second conversion from ml to tbsp.

etc
  • minizebuminizebu Member Posts: 2,478 Member Member Posts: 2,478 Member

I'm not sure I understand your comment. (In the above screen shots, all the percentage goals went back to the MFP defaults, by the way.)

What I mean is that if, say, I want my goal to be Xg of protein (based on a multiple of my weight in kg), then I'll have to set my percentage to the closest Y% (in MFP's default 5% increments). Then, I will make notes about my actual gram goal in my food diary notes.

For example (not my actual goals): Total calorie target 1710 kcal. Example desired protein target 125g. 125g x 4 = 500 kcal = .29239%. Using karoshiethos's bookmarklet I would have been able to actually set 125g as my protein goal, but now I have to settle for setting my protein goal to 30% which results in MFP generating a goal of 128g. Then I'll note in my food diary that my real protein goal is 125g. Yes, they are close. It doesn't make that much of a difference, but it was a convenience thing.

Does that make sense?

maidentl wrote: »
    (I am not sure why everyone keeps quoting $50. That's not what I was offered for the online premium service.)

10171668_10206323078986992_3353799713563833891_n.jpg?oh=b2365cafaf0f64c024d59d93061f354f&oe=55A3BBD6

Interesting that they are charging less for the online version.
  • JPW1990JPW1990 Member Posts: 2,427 Member Member Posts: 2,427 Member
    Do any of them actually allow for food logging in grams? That's the only reason I still log my food here. I signed up for Spark People at one point (when the new recipe builder launched) and realized everything was available to log in volume measurements only.

SP has grams, but it has the same database problem that MFP has - users who enter "1 medium banana" and share it with the world. Their real entries have all measurements, and anything you enter yourself, you decide what measurements to use.
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks we should enter like we measure and the database should convert automatically?

194 grams of yogurt. Database value 100Cal per 175g. I break the calculator to figure out it is 1.10857. That should be a gimme.

Much harder, but if I can find the values, why can't MFP: Conversion tables for grams to ml, or cups to weight for when you're desperate.
    For example. I weighted my olive oil and it is 11g. Now what? I have to find on-line that it is about 0.92g/ml and convert. Possibly then do a second conversion from ml to tbsp.

etc

On the online version for some food entries that have a gram weight like that there is a drop down menu and you can change the serving size to 1g and then enter 175 servings of 1g. (Not all entries are like this, but many are.) I guess that doesn't work in the app?

Edit: Here's a screen shot. I think if someone entered the serving size in grams in the first place, then the drop down menu is available in 1g increments in the online version.

fugmclr04dv1.png
    edited April 2015
  • NaaerNaaer Member Posts: 208 Member Member Posts: 208 Member
    I really don't want to pay...This was the main appeal of this site...I paid for WW for a year and stopped paying and gained all the weight back...I knew that this was too good to last...

Naaer
  • janejellyrolljanejellyroll Member Posts: 23,093 Member Member Posts: 23,093 Member
    Naaer wrote: »
    I really don't want to pay...This was the main appeal of this site...I paid for WW for a year and stopped paying and gained all the weight back...I knew that this was too good to last...

Naaer

There is no indication that anyone will have to pay. The free/premium split is pretty common for apps.
  • SweetiepiestefSweetiepiestef Member Posts: 343 Member Member Posts: 343 Member
    Yeah.... No thanks!
    _SKIM_ wrote: »
    Clash of the Calories...

Now THAT I would pay for. Like Zombies, Run, but instead, everything you do makes, to quote @itcphotog, the calories scream while you burn them.
  • LolBroScienceLolBroScience Member Posts: 4,564 Member Member Posts: 4,564 Member

I'm not sure I understand your comment. (In the above screen shots, all the percentage goals went back to the MFP defaults, by the way.)

What I mean is that if, say, I want my goal to be Xg of protein (based on a multiple of my weight in kg), then I'll have to set my percentage to the closest Y% (in MFP's default 5% increments). Then, I will make notes about my actual gram goal in my food diary notes.

For example (not my actual goals): Total calorie target 1710 kcal. Example desired protein target 125g. 125g x 4 = 500 kcal = .29239%. Using karoshiethos's bookmarklet I would have been able to actually set 125g as my protein goal, but now I have to settle for setting my protein goal to 30% which results in MFP generating a goal of 128g. Then I'll note in my food diary that my real protein goal is 125g. Yes, they are close. It doesn't make that much of a difference, but it was a convenience thing.

Does that make sense?

I'm aware, I use Karo.

I'm saying as a work around... set each macro goal to 0.
  • StampingJenStampingJen Member Posts: 38 Member Member Posts: 38 Member
    will you have to pay for premium if you want fitbit feeds to work properly?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylicsILiftHeavyAcrylics Member Posts: 28,132 Member Member Posts: 28,132 Member
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    Do any of them actually allow for food logging in grams? That's the only reason I still log my food here. I signed up for Spark People at one point (when the new recipe builder launched) and realized everything was available to log in volume measurements only.

SP has grams, but it has the same database problem that MFP has - users who enter "1 medium banana" and share it with the world. Their real entries have all measurements, and anything you enter yourself, you decide what measurements to use.

Maybe I ought to go have another look. I'll stick with MFP as long as it's even remotely functional though. I have 30 pages of recipes I don't really want to have to recreate.

eta: Thanks for the info :)
    edited April 2015
  • mizzzcmizzzc Member Posts: 347 Member Member Posts: 347 Member
    MireyGal76 wrote: »
    The price is ridiculous. This site has a million users? Make it a $10 a year, and more would bite. Make the premium version ridiculously better, and then after a year or two bump it to $20 a YEAR. They'd probably rake in the dough and all the people who got duped into the $10 will feel like they have to do $20, cuz they can't live without it now.

Somebody hire her
  • wizzybethwizzybeth Member Posts: 3,530 Member Member Posts: 3,530 Member
    I'm not jumping ship unless I have to. That could be a looooong way down the road. I like the app as it is now, and if it continues to work as it is , even with no upgrades, that's cool with me. Unless I get a new phone and it's not compatible, then I'll be sad.

Does that make sense?

I'm aware, I use Karo.

It doesn't let you. If the calories per gram don't add up to the total calories it complains. Unless they're changing it with these other changes to break all the userscripts?

Hopefully the script gets updated to accommodate the changes, because that and the net carbs script are the only reason I switched from SP in the first place. Even then, I still use SP's recipe builder and transcribe here, because the one here is such crap.
    JPW1990 wrote: »

Does that make sense?

I'm aware, I use Karo.

It doesn't let you. If the calories per gram don't add up to the total calories it complains. Unless they're changing it with these other changes to break all the userscripts?

Hopefully the script gets updated to accommodate the changes, because that and the net carbs script are the only reason I switched from SP in the first place. Even then, I still use SP's recipe builder and transcribe here, because the one here is such crap.

That's what I was anticipating will happen.

Setting it to 0 used to work, maybe they're corrected that as well then I suppose.
  • CooCooPuffCooCooPuff Member Posts: 4,374 Member Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    screen.png
    Fatsecret allows for you to enter multiple serving sizes and allows you to add notes to the entry. Some people add links to where they got the nutritional information from.

Does that make sense?

I'm aware, I use Karo.

Perhaps that would have worked before the rollout, but now it won't let me save the goals unless all three macros total 100%.

Enjoy the bookmarklet while you can until they roll out premium to your region.
This discussion has been closed.