Calorie Counter

Message Boards MFP Suggestions/Feedback
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

You asked, you got - kind of. MFP Premium

Replies

• LolBroScienceLolBroScience Member Posts: 4,564 Member Member Posts: 4,564 Member
    OR, we should get a free Underarmour shirt if we pay.
  • chivalryderchivalryder Member Posts: 4,430 Member Member Posts: 4,430 Member

A free under armour shirt every month.
  • EvgeniZyntxEvgeniZyntx Member Posts: 24,424 Member Member Posts: 24,424 Member
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Maybe they should have a separate forum for the people that pay. No more love potion spam and mutli account trolls.

it would be very very quite.
  • LolBroScienceLolBroScience Member Posts: 4,564 Member Member Posts: 4,564 Member

A free under armour shirt every month.

I'm on board
  • chivalryderchivalryder Member Posts: 4,430 Member Member Posts: 4,430 Member
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Maybe they should have a separate forum for the people that pay. No more love potion spam and mutli account trolls.

it would be very very quite.

Quite right.
  • TwibblyTwibbly Member Posts: 1,065 Member Member Posts: 1,065 Member

Or do like Evernote does, where they offer a free __-month subscription with various PostIt Note products.
  • tomatoeytomatoey Member Posts: 5,459 Member Member Posts: 5,459 Member
    jimmmer wrote: »
    If they eventually cripple the free version more and more, what other halfway competent free tools/apps/sites would people consider jumping to?

I see sparkpeople has already been mentioned - any others? I've never used anything other than MFP.

cronometer is a seriously good tracking website. By far the best I've ever seen. HOWEVER, there is no social content and that's why I actually use MFP.

I've seen a Lifehacker article that mentioned that site. There's certainly nothing wrong with simple and useful (as opposed to bloated and buggy).

I guess at the end of the day I need an accurate UK database, an app to access it and log on the go, ability to save my recipes (and probably a barcode scanner would be helpful - but not a dealbreaker).

The cool thing about cronometer is they do not have their own database.

They search the internet for legitimate databased on food. You just start typing in what you're entering and it'll populate a drop down list like Google Search does.

If you can't find what you're looking for, you enter it yourself.

That's the only reason I don't like cronometer. The database here can be wrong, but it takes less time to check another user's entry than it does to fill in complete nutritional info ten times a day. I did something similar on another site for years before I realized how annoying it was (when I came over here).

And most other sites don't have Canadian (and other international) brands - that's why I said no to LoseIt.

The prepopulated database of foods I eat that are available in my country is why I come here. And that only exists because of MFP's popularity.
    edited April 2015
  • belgerianbelgerian Member Posts: 1,057 Member Member Posts: 1,057 Member
    If they eventually cripple the free version more and more, what other halfway competent free tools/apps/sites would people consider jumping to?

I see sparkpeople has already been mentioned - any others? I've never used anything other than MFP.

I used to use

https://www.caloriecount.com

Only reason I switched was becouse they did a upgrade and made everything miserable for a couple weeks if not for that I would have never found this site.

There is a one time fee of 2.99 to remove the ads from the mobile version.
    edited April 2015
  • rowlandswrowlandsw Member Posts: 1,187 Member Member Posts: 1,187 Member
    Now that this site has gotten all over the various media outlets they're trying to make a ton of cash off it if they can. I agree I doubt they'll get rid of the free forums but i bet it's going to just get worse as less updates are done and fewer features are added. If it comes down to it i can always just track my calories on a piece of paper for free.
  • lemurcat12lemurcat12 Member Posts: 30,886 Member Member Posts: 30,886 Member
    tomatoey wrote: »

cronometer is a seriously good tracking website. By far the best I've ever seen. HOWEVER, there is no social content and that's why I actually use MFP.

I've seen a Lifehacker article that mentioned that site. There's certainly nothing wrong with simple and useful (as opposed to bloated and buggy).

I guess at the end of the day I need an accurate UK database, an app to access it and log on the go, ability to save my recipes (and probably a barcode scanner would be helpful - but not a dealbreaker).

They search the internet for legitimate databased on food. You just start typing in what you're entering and it'll populate a drop down list like Google Search does.

That's the only reason I don't like cronometer. The database here can be wrong, but it takes less time to check another user's entry than it does to fill in complete nutritional info ten times a day. I did something similar on another site for years before I realized how annoying it was (when I came over here).

I'm with you. When I first heard about Cronometer I thought it might be worth trying, but I'm way too lazy. I can check the entries here and am confident in the ones I use. I just wish the search feature were better or there were a way to focus on the non-asterisk entries in searching.
  • wizzybethwizzybeth Member Posts: 3,530 Member Member Posts: 3,530 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I'm with you. When I first heard about Cronometer I thought it might be worth trying, but I'm way too lazy. I can check the entries here and am confident in the ones I use. I just wish the search feature were better or there were a way to focus on the non-asterisk entries in searching.

That's the most frustrating part of searching for food esp. with the app....I think they are deliberately letting the database be "messy" so that a "clean" one will be bait to pay for the premium service. I would not be surprised if that were the case.

• ILiftHeavyAcrylicsILiftHeavyAcrylics Member Posts: 28,132 Member Member Posts: 28,132 Member
    wizzybeth wrote: »

That's the most frustrating part of searching for food esp. with the app....I think they are deliberately letting the database be "messy" so that a "clean" one will be bait to pay for the premium service. I would not be surprised if that were the case.

I think that's giving them too much credit. I think of MFP more in terms of Hanlon's razor.
  • JPW1990JPW1990 Member Posts: 2,427 Member Member Posts: 2,427 Member

I'm not sure how they could maintain 2 databases and make their premium customers happy. Imagine if you paid the fee to upgrade and found 90% of the foods on your recent list are no longer available?
  • isulo_kuraisulo_kura Member Posts: 835 Member Member Posts: 835 Member
    From the original statement when UA bought MFP
    MyFitnessPal will still be free to use

https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/myfitnesspal-joins-forces-with-under-armour/

'All MFP users are equal but some MFP users are more equal than others' ;)
  • belgerianbelgerian Member Posts: 1,057 Member Member Posts: 1,057 Member
    Theres also Livestrong.com they also have a premium subscription available for ad free and various other services.
    edited April 2015
  • BRaye325BRaye325 Member Posts: 1,383 Member Member Posts: 1,383 Member
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    Imagine if you paid the fee to upgrade and found 90% of the foods on your recent list are no longer available?

Knowing these programmers, it will be best to let others be the guinea pigs and pay in to de-bug it for the first year.
    It really bothers me that they have a feature to 'Move to the front of the line for technical support & feedback'. Won't it be even more frustrating to be at the front of a line that never moves???
  • wizzybethwizzybeth Member Posts: 3,530 Member Member Posts: 3,530 Member

I'm not sure how they could maintain 2 databases and make their premium customers happy. Imagine if you paid the fee to upgrade and found 90% of the foods on your recent list are no longer available?

There wouldn't be two databases, I was thinking that one would have the sort features to be able to sort them by asterisk or not, number of confirmations or not, and the free one is...well the hot mess we have now. That was what I was thinking anyway.

• AllonsYtotheTardisAllonsYtotheTardis Member Posts: 17,210 Member Member Posts: 17,210 Member

There wouldn't be two databases, I was thinking that one would have the sort features to be able to sort them by asterisk or not, number of confirmations or not, and the free one is...well the hot mess we have now. That was what I was thinking anyway.

You mean the premium database would work like it used to here, before they borked it?
  • JPW1990JPW1990 Member Posts: 2,427 Member Member Posts: 2,427 Member

I suspect that's what they'll do, but then it's kind of false advertising. There are plenty of entries in there with 100+ confirmations, but they're still wrong. They might have been right 3 or 4 years ago, but the product has changed since then, or they're for something that's sold in more than one country with different formulas, so it's right in Michigan, but wrong in Ontario.
This discussion has been closed.