Myfitnesspal

Message Boards MFP Suggestions/Feedback
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

You asked, you got - kind of. MFP Premium

Replies

• snikkinssnikkins Member Posts: 1,282 Member Member Posts: 1,282 Member
    I'm honestly most surprised by the price on it. It is cheaper than WW, as many have pointed out, but calorie counting is not glamorous, and a good portion of people on this site decry it anyway.

I am most concerned that all of the knowledgeable "meanies" are going to end up leaving the forums because they will now also be competing with, "Well, the app TOLD me it was bad!" comments as well. The point made earlier about the "advice" not being relevant to many based on eating preferences is also spot on.

I was talking to my husband about this, and we agreed we wouldn't pay for it in its current status. Endomondo did this awhile ago, as well, even before being bought by UA. They had a "pro" version for a one-time $4.99(ish) fee that got replaced by a monthly/yearly subscription. I was hoping for a "pro" version of MFP, so I could give them $5 or so and make the ads and some of the other annoying features go away. I'm not really sold on the idea of a subscription.
  • MelodyandBarbellsMelodyandBarbells Member Posts: 7,250 Member Member Posts: 7,250 Member
    BRaye325 wrote: »
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    Imagine if you paid the fee to upgrade and found 90% of the foods on your recent list are no longer available?

Knowing these programmers, it will be best to let others be the guinea pigs and pay in to de-bug it for the first year.
    It really bothers me that they have a feature to 'Move to the front of the line for technical support & feedback'. Won't it be even more frustrating to be at the front of a line that never moves???

They'll send you the form responses a lot faster ;)

Aww that's not really fair - they've helped me resolve some issues and have really worked hard to educate me on others

• Mr_KnightMr_Knight Member Posts: 9,535 Member Member Posts: 9,535 Member
    The site is free, so I can't find the justification to complain too too vigorously about the obvious defects. But...the nature of the defects makes me dubious about their ability to do things "right" so I'll keep using my subscription budget on Netflix instead. :smile:
    edited April 2015
  • maidentlmaidentl Member Posts: 3,231 Member Member Posts: 3,231 Member
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    The site is free, so I can't find the justification to complain too too vigorously about the obvious defects. But...the nature of the defects makes me dubious about their ability to do things "right" so I'll keep using my subscription budget on Netflix instead. :smile:

Right, I'm not going to complain too much when it's free. But if they're not going to fix any of it first, where's my incentive to pay?
  • awesomewastakenawesomewastaken Member Posts: 92 Member Member Posts: 92 Member
    $50 seems like a very silly amount to pay for something that can essentially be done for free. Sure, MFP is convenient to use, but there are many others just like it so I really don't see how they can justify the price tag.
    But on the other hand, I'm sure there are people more than willing to pay, so what does my opinion matter anyway.
  • CALIECATCALIECAT Member Posts: 12,620 Member Member Posts: 12,620 Member
    Are they still going to have a free version?
  • ogmomma2012ogmomma2012 Member Posts: 1,568 Member Member Posts: 1,568 Member
    I would only pay money if the app yelled at me in the mornings to go exercise and wouldn't let up until my phone senses continuous movement.
  • isulo_kuraisulo_kura Member Posts: 835 Member Member Posts: 835 Member
    Actually it's not free. We pay for it with allowing them to advertise to us and the use of certain bits of data. So we may not be giving them cash at the moment but its certainly not free
  • MelodyandBarbellsMelodyandBarbells Member Posts: 7,250 Member Member Posts: 7,250 Member
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    Actually it's not free. We pay for it with allowing them to advertise to us and the use of certain bits of data. So we may not be giving them cash at the moment but its certainly not free

Yeeaaaaaah... I'm pretty sure free or not involves the exchange of actual money
    Hey neat! MFP updated and now I can't see anyone's profile pictures when they post!

This is the kind of thing I mean.

Full disclaimer: Phone did just update to lollipop as well.
  • bclarke1990bclarke1990 Member Posts: 288 Member Member Posts: 288 Member
    Tons of people are using a free and valuable resource; god forbid they allow you to continue using it for free while making the premium version an option.
    Tons of people are using a free and valuable resource; god forbid they allow you to continue using it for free while making the premium version an option.

If you had been following the discussion, you'd know that it has been focused on whether or not it is worth the price they want for it. No one seems to care they're making a paid version.

• 3dogsrunning3dogsrunning Member Posts: 27,179 Member Member Posts: 27,179 Member
    snikkins wrote: »

If you had been following the discussion, you'd know that it has been focused on whether or not it is worth the price they want for it. No one seems to care they're making a paid version.

This.

I suspect a lot expected it anyway. There have been a number of posts in the website feedback asking for it.
    I don't care whether they have a paid version or not. I'm not interested in what they have to offer, particularly at that price. I am concerned how the free version is going to work.
  • Alatariel75Alatariel75 Member Posts: 17,638 Member Member Posts: 17,638 Member

Someone didn't read the thread, where lots of people said they were happy to pay as long as the Premium version isn't plagued with similar issues to the free.
  • WalkingAlongWalkingAlong Member Posts: 4,926 Member Member Posts: 4,926 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    tomatoey wrote: »
    jimmmer wrote: »
    jimmmer wrote: »
    If they eventually cripple the free version more and more, what other halfway competent free tools/apps/sites would people consider jumping to?

I see sparkpeople has already been mentioned - any others? I've never used anything other than MFP.

cronometer is a seriously good tracking website. By far the best I've ever seen. HOWEVER, there is no social content and that's why I actually use MFP.

I've seen a Lifehacker article that mentioned that site. There's certainly nothing wrong with simple and useful (as opposed to bloated and buggy).

I guess at the end of the day I need an accurate UK database, an app to access it and log on the go, ability to save my recipes (and probably a barcode scanner would be helpful - but not a dealbreaker).

The cool thing about cronometer is they do not have their own database.

They search the internet for legitimate databased on food. You just start typing in what you're entering and it'll populate a drop down list like Google Search does.

If you can't find what you're looking for, you enter it yourself.

That's the only reason I don't like cronometer. The database here can be wrong, but it takes less time to check another user's entry than it does to fill in complete nutritional info ten times a day. I did something similar on another site for years before I realized how annoying it was (when I came over here).

I'm with you. When I first heard about Cronometer I thought it might be worth trying, but I'm way too lazy. I can check the entries here and am confident in the ones I use. I just wish the search feature were better or there were a way to focus on the non-asterisk entries in searching.
    There is a Chrome extension that gives you that ability. It's called MyFitnessPal Search Filters.

• PaulaWallaDingDongPaulaWallaDingDong Member Posts: 4,631 Member Member Posts: 4,631 Member
    I thought it was strange that today's update had something in the permissions about in-app purchases (seriously, has that always been there?), when I hadn't come across anything to pay for yet. This answers that question.
  • DonM46DonM46 Member Posts: 770 Member Member Posts: 770 Member
    Sorry, MFP. Not interested in paying $50 a year for what I can do free on XL.
    Plot twist: With the updated version of MFP that I have now, foods are verified. It looks like USDA entries and some other entries get a green check mark next to it and says, "This food has been verified. Learn more." Except, there isn't a link to help me learn more?

I have not paid for anything.

h8rnop1xppqh.png
    edited April 2015
    snikkins wrote: »
    Plot twist: With the updated version of MFP that I have now, foods are verified. It looks like USDA entries and some other entries get a green check mark next to it and says, "This food has been verified. Learn more." Except, there isn't a link to help me learn more?

I have not paid for anything.

h8rnop1xppqh.png
    Wow, people have wanted to see that on the app for a while. I wonder if anything with even one verification gets that, or if it means that you're using an MFP official entry
  • wick3tgirlwick3tgirl Member Posts: 47 Member Member Posts: 47 Member
    checked it out and apparently I got it as well. but the learn more worked for me (I think I actually tapped the this food is verified text instead of learn more).
    ejzp4ejgob6m.png
    yeah, this explanation does not make me trust the verified symbol. :#
This discussion has been closed.