Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

You asked, you got - kind of. MFP Premium

Replies

• IvanOcampoIvanOcampo Posts: 226Member Member Posts: 226Member Member
    IvanOcampo wrote: »

Indeed
    Lets play a game of "swap the currency character" like most subscription based sites.
    $7.99/month
    £7.99/month (or if they are feeling generous, it may be knocked down to 6.99 just to make us brits feel better, but probably not)

which would be $12/month for brits.
    Nope.

By following your argument, we'd be paying AU$7.99 per month..

No.. I'm sure they'll adapt the price structure accordingly.

In any case, US$50 a year?
    Let's call it AU$80?

I'm sure $7-$8 per month is not going to break my bank.

Also, Verified Food Filter, and macronutrient track per gram (instead of percentage) would be massive improvements.

No idea what they tend to do with aussie currencies, but fairly often this is what happens with sterling/euros with online subscriptions.

Netflix: US - 8.99, Euro - 8.99 ($9.72), UK - 6.99 ($10.52)
    Spotify: US - $9.99, Euro - 9.99 ($10.76), UK - 9.99 ($15.04)
    Office 365 US - $9.99, Euro - 10.00 ($10.81), UK - 7.99 ($12.03)

As you can see, some companies are less scrupulous than others :P
    We'll see.

I think you'll find that it's not the companies being scrupulous and charging other countries more for the sake of it, but delivering their products to said country costs them more.

Granted, I'm sure everyone will try to drain every last penny from their consumers, but it's in mfp's best interest to keep prices low to entice its users to subscribe to an app that most people are happy using the free version of.

• Alatariel75Alatariel75 Posts: 17,806Member Member Posts: 17,806Member Member

Indeed
    Lets play a game of "swap the currency character" like most subscription based sites.
    $7.99/month
    £7.99/month (or if they are feeling generous, it may be knocked down to 6.99 just to make us brits feel better, but probably not)

Nope.

Let's call it AU$80?

Also, Verified Food Filter, and macronutrient track per gram (instead of percentage) would be massive improvements.

No idea what they tend to do with aussie currencies, but fairly often this is what happens with sterling/euros with online subscriptions.

We'll see.

I think you'll find that it's not the companies being scrupulous and charging other countries more for the sake of it, but delivering their products to said country costs them more.

Granted, I'm sure everyone will try to drain every last penny from their consumers, but it's in mfp's best interest to keep prices low to entice its users to subscribe to an app that most people are happy using the free version of.

I guess that will depend on how happy people stay using the free version. Judging by the features they have put in the paid version, the free version isn't getting any upgrades soon. They may plan to push people over to the paid version, or be stuck with an ever-more outdated, unstable version.
  • MonsoonStormMonsoonStorm Posts: 371Member Member Posts: 371Member Member

Indeed
    $7.99/month

Nope.

Let's call it AU$80?

We'll see.

For a physical product, sure I agree. But these are subscriptions for virtual products. It makes no difference whatsoever whether the person is in the US or Timbuktu
  • Sued0nimSued0nim Posts: 17,504Member Member Posts: 17,504Member Member

Indeed
    $7.99/month

Nope.

Let's call it AU$80?

We'll see.

Explain how for an internet company based in the USA there are additional costs to manage online memberships?
  • KarenJanineKarenJanine Posts: 3,529Member Member Posts: 3,529Member Member
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    Not surprised. I knew when Under Armor purchased the site that it wouldn't be long before they thought up ways to charge.

This.

It's only a matter of time before the free version is run into the ground.

• zyxstzyxst Posts: 9,143Member Member Posts: 9,143Member Member
    Not surprised. I knew when Under Armor purchased the site that it wouldn't be long before they thought up ways to charge.

This.

What do you mean "a matter of time"?

I'm not paying for it. Does explain that thread where only the OP could see an option to enter exercise and not have it affect her/his calorie count.

This.

I disagree

I think the only way to survive is to have an entry level useful basic service that new people will continually come to - the site itself is fairly beset with basic technology errors but we use it because it provides a service ... as soon as that stops then alternative sites will be used

If I were the investors though I'd be pretty peeved at the current state of site and issues .. I'd have expected that part to work... although I'm sure they bought it for the membership and footfall rather than the tech side
  • zyxstzyxst Posts: 9,143Member Member Posts: 9,143Member Member
    Aside from the lack of a way to ignore posters other than closing my eyes and singing "LALALALA", I'd pay to be able to see which of my posts got flagged.
  • KarenJanineKarenJanine Posts: 3,529Member Member Posts: 3,529Member Member
    zyxst wrote: »

This.

What do you mean "a matter of time"?

I'm not paying for it. Does explain that thread where only the OP could see an option to enter exercise and not have it affect her/his calorie count.

It just feels like the beginning of the end. I imagine that only the most basic tools will eventually remain free. I won't pay for 'extras' though, and I sure a lot of other long term users will not either.
  • DemoraFairyDemoraFairy Posts: 1,815Member Member Posts: 1,815Member Member
    I'd happily pay that much if the premium version had features I was interested in, but I'm not interested in any of those features mentioned. I'd pay for things like:

1. The option for it to automatically carry calories over to the next day. So if you're 400 calories over it deducts 400 calories from the next day, or if you're 400 calories under it adds 400 to the next day. With the option to remove or reduce those calories the next day if you want.
    2. Notifications on the forum when someone's quoted you (similar to when someone tags you).
    3. The ability to view all the threads you've bookmarked, so they'll all show up in a list like a customised forum or something.
    4. The option to turn off images on the forums (so if I'm browsing at work I don't need to worry about sudden, unexpected underwear pictures), or put them all in spoiler tags or something similar so I can click to view them if I want.
    5. As @zyxst said, knowing when your post has been flagged would be cool!
    I'd happily pay that much if the premium version had features I was interested in, but I'm not interested in any of those features mentioned. I'd pay for things like:

1. The option for it to automatically carry calories over to the next day. So if you're 400 calories over it deducts 400 calories from the next day, or if you're 400 calories under it adds 400 to the next day. With the option to remove or reduce those calories the next day if you want.
    2. Notifications on the forum when someone's quoted you (similar to when someone tags you).
    3. The ability to view all the threads you've bookmarked, so they'll all show up in a list like a customised forum or something.
    4. The option to turn off images on the forums (so if I'm browsing at work I don't need to worry about sudden, unexpected underwear pictures), or put them all in spoiler tags or something similar so I can click to view them if I want.

and knowing who by too ;)

I have a flagging stalker :bigsmile: .. every day another flag or two, but it's never on my most recent posts so I don't know what is being flagged... it would be nice to know who is so entranced by me that they follow me round so carefully ..*chuckle*
  • Alatariel75Alatariel75 Posts: 17,806Member Member Posts: 17,806Member Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »

I have a flagging stalker :bigsmile: .. every day another flag or two, but it's never on my most recent posts so I don't know what is being flagged... it would be nice to know who is so entranced by me that they follow me round so carefully ..*chuckle*

I read this and my first instinct was to flag it xx :kissing_heart:
  • lemonsnowdroplemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,299Member Member Posts: 1,299Member Member
    I might be tempted to pay if the newsfeed got upgraded.

I read this and my first instinct was to flag it xx :kissing_heart:

LOL .. and that's why I luvs ya
  • MelodyandBarbellsMelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,637Member Member Posts: 7,637Member Member

1. Weekly view on the apps more or less accomplished this carry over idea

3. Click "All Bookmarks" at the bottom of your six or so bookmarked posts when you click the star at the top right of the forum. Should see a list of all your bookmarked topics
  • MelodyandBarbellsMelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,637Member Member Posts: 7,637Member Member

This.

I disagree

I think the only way to survive is to have an entry level useful basic service that new people will continually come to - the site itself is fairly beset with basic technology errors but we use it because it provides a service ... as soon as that stops then alternative sites will be used

If I were the investors though I'd be pretty peeved at the current state of site and issues .. I'd have expected that part to work... although I'm sure they bought it for the membership and footfall rather than the tech side

I suspect it was the investors that drove the changes. Like "let's get a more professional looking recipe tool" (even though it don't work), but "so long as it has the ability to import recipes from our partners", that sort of thing. Just a guess though

• wizzybethwizzybeth Posts: 3,527Member Member Posts: 3,527Member Member
    I can live with the free app. As annoying as the database is it isn't worth $50 a year to me. A one time fee of $25 or $30 maybe...but not $8 a month. But hey its still wayyyyy cheaper than Weight Watchers.
  • DemoraFairyDemoraFairy Posts: 1,815Member Member Posts: 1,815Member Member
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

3. Click "All Bookmarks" at the bottom of your six or so bookmarked posts when you click the star at the top right of the forum. Should see a list of all your bookmarked topics

1. Where is that? I literally never use the app. I only downloaded it to put the widget on my home screen and that doesn't even work.
    2. OMG YOU'RE AMAZING. Now I need to actually remember to bookmark threads, I just refresh the forum page and look for the yellow new post notifications at the moment.
  • wizzybethwizzybeth Posts: 3,527Member Member Posts: 3,527Member Member
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

1. Where is that? I literally never use the app. I only downloaded it to put the widget on my home screen and that doesn't even work.
    2. OMG YOU'RE AMAZING. Now I need to actually remember to bookmark threads, I just refresh the forum page and look for the yellow new post notifications at the moment.

On the app it's under "Nutrition " on the left hand menu.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylicsILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 28,132Member Member Posts: 28,132Member Member
    I wouldn't mind paying for the premium version if it worked pretty much perfectly. No glitches, no "site down for maintenance," no beta testing live without members' consent, no random disappearing database foods. The macros by gram would be nice but mostly I'd be interested in the verified food filter. I have adblock so I don't care about the ads. I'm also not keen on MFP judging my food choices but from that screen shot it looks like you can turn the individual features on or off.

I suspect though that it'll be just as buggy as the free version, and until there's evidence to the contrary I won't be paying for the privilege. I suspect most people will have the same reasoning.