Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

You asked, you got - kind of. MFP Premium

Replies

• wizzybethwizzybeth Posts: 3,532Member Member Posts: 3,532Member Member
    Yeah the verified food filter is about the only "premium feature" that interests me. Ads don't bother me. I don't care about exclusive articles and tips. Judging my food choices would irritate me...I turned off the option on the app where it scolded me if I had too much sugar or high fived me for picking something high in calcium...not a feature I'd pay for Fer sure.
  • yarwellyarwell Posts: 10,573Member Member Posts: 10,573Member Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Explain how for an internet company based in the USA there are additional costs to manage online memberships?

Multiple cost elements - provide UK phone support numbers, staff these at UK time zone office hours, distribution channel, payment processing in foreign currency, tax / VAT, software versioning for different nutritional labels, RDI, spellings etc.
    I have said I'd pay for an ad free version of the app but I was thinking like $2.99 like other apps are lol
  • Alatariel75Alatariel75 Posts: 17,806Member Member Posts: 17,806Member Member
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    Yeah the verified food filter is about the only "premium feature" that interests me. Ads don't bother me. I don't care about exclusive articles and tips. Judging my food choices would irritate me...I turned off the option on the app where it scolded me if I had too much sugar or high fived me for picking something high in calcium...not a feature I'd pay for Fer sure.

Pretty much agree. Which is why it makes me sad that it seems that every good suggestion or desire MFP users have expressed in the last couple years has been adopted into the paid version, and the freebie users can languish.
  • DemoraFairyDemoraFairy Posts: 1,815Member Member Posts: 1,815Member Member
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    I'd happily pay that much if the premium version had features I was interested in, but I'm not interested in any of those features mentioned. I'd pay for things like:

1. The option for it to automatically carry calories over to the next day. So if you're 400 calories over it deducts 400 calories from the next day, or if you're 400 calories under it adds 400 to the next day. With the option to remove or reduce those calories the next day if you want.
    2. Notifications on the forum when someone's quoted you (similar to when someone tags you).
    3. The ability to view all the threads you've bookmarked, so they'll all show up in a list like a customised forum or something.
    4. The option to turn off images on the forums (so if I'm browsing at work I don't need to worry about sudden, unexpected underwear pictures), or put them all in spoiler tags or something similar so I can click to view them if I want.
    5. As @zyxst said, knowing when your post has been flagged would be cool!

1. Weekly view on the apps more or less accomplished this carry over idea

3. Click "All Bookmarks" at the bottom of your six or so bookmarked posts when you click the star at the top right of the forum. Should see a list of all your bookmarked topics

1. Where is that? I literally never use the app. I only downloaded it to put the widget on my home screen and that doesn't even work.
    2. OMG YOU'RE AMAZING. Now I need to actually remember to bookmark threads, I just refresh the forum page and look for the yellow new post notifications at the moment.

On the app it's under "Nutrition " on the left hand menu.

Oh so it's the same as looking at the reports on the website. Using that to work out calories each day would be about the same as just going through the diary entries for the last few days and manually adding up the difference in calories, I think. It's just a suggestion to make things easier and quicker. I mean I bought a Fitbit partially so that it would just add calories automatically so I didn't have to add them manually through the menu, and that's a lot easier than looking at the reports lol
    No its different and better than the Web version. It's all at a glance on one page and you also have the option of looking at the charts graphs if you want.
    edited April 2015
  • MelodyandBarbellsMelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,637Member Member Posts: 7,637Member Member
    I'd happily pay that much if the premium version had features I was interested in, but I'm not interested in any of those features mentioned. I'd pay for things like:

1. The option for it to automatically carry calories over to the next day. So if you're 400 calories over it deducts 400 calories from the next day, or if you're 400 calories under it adds 400 to the next day. With the option to remove or reduce those calories the next day if you want.
    2. Notifications on the forum when someone's quoted you (similar to when someone tags you).
    3. The ability to view all the threads you've bookmarked, so they'll all show up in a list like a customised forum or something.
    4. The option to turn off images on the forums (so if I'm browsing at work I don't need to worry about sudden, unexpected underwear pictures), or put them all in spoiler tags or something similar so I can click to view them if I want.

3. Click "All Bookmarks" at the bottom of your six or so bookmarked posts when you click the star at the top right of the forum. Should see a list of all your bookmarked topics

1. Where is that? I literally never use the app. I only downloaded it to put the widget on my home screen and that doesn't even work.
    2. OMG YOU'RE AMAZING. Now I need to actually remember to bookmark threads, I just refresh the forum page and look for the yellow new post notifications at the moment.

Oh so it's the same as looking at the reports on the website. Using that to work out calories each day would be about the same as just going through the diary entries for the last few days and manually adding up the difference in calories, I think. It's just a suggestion to make things easier and quicker. I mean I bought a Fitbit partially so that it would just add calories automatically so I didn't have to add them manually through the menu, and that's a lot easier than looking at the reports lol

I suppose that's true. But I did use the heck out of the app feature during my weight loss phase. You can also lock down which day is the start of the week, so you can see how many calories you have left each week. I suspect even if it did carry over the excess calories to the very next day, it would just be a start as some might still want to distribute the excess over the next three days, etc

edited April 2015
    I just saw that the whole thing at a glance is now only available daily not weekly anymore. :(
  • MonsoonStormMonsoonStorm Posts: 371Member Member Posts: 371Member Member
    yarwell wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Explain how for an internet company based in the USA there are additional costs to manage online memberships?

Multiple cost elements - provide UK phone support numbers, staff these at UK time zone office hours, distribution channel, payment processing in foreign currency, tax / VAT, software versioning for different nutritional labels, RDI, spellings etc.

Doesn't everyone use India for that anyway? Distribution channel, for what? Payment processing in foreign currency... they get you on conversion rates regardless and payment channels such as paypal do that for you. They don't have "British" versions of the website/software. Tax/VAT... very few international companies pay that here due to imaginative accounting ;) just ask Amazon/Starbucks/whoever.

But you can still see the calorie intake via bar graphs for the week at a glance. :)
  • DemoraFairyDemoraFairy Posts: 1,815Member Member Posts: 1,815Member Member
    But you can still see the calorie intake via bar graphs for the week at a glance. :)

Yeah, it still requires working it all out, though, which is what I currently do (but with the diary rather than the graph). I'm just saying I'd pay for a feature that did that for me.

I suppose that's true. But I did use the heck out of the app feature during my weight loss phase. You can also lock down which day is the start of the week, so you can see how many calories you have left each week. I suspect even if it did carry over the excess calories to the very next day, it would just be a start as some might still want to distribute the excess over the next three days, etc

Spreading it over a given amount of days would be cool. I think I'd rather have it just keep going than reset each week, but have the option to reset it whenever I wanted to.
  • jimmmerjimmmer Posts: 3,535Member Member Posts: 3,535Member Member
    A lot of the apps I use I've paid for a couple of extra features and to lose the ads.

But the list of features from the link isn't really make or break, and I'm not paying a subscription. One off purchase of premium app? Yes. Continually gouged on a month-by-month basis? No.

As long as the free app continues to have a basic food logging diary and database, I'll keep using it. If they start removing existing functionality, I'm gone.
  • EvgeniZyntxEvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,424Member Member Posts: 24,424Member Member
    50 bucks a year?
    Nope.

If they actually managed to fix things around here (oh, the bug excuse thread is a joke) and have a proper database I'd pay a few bucks a year. But at the current state? No way. It's an insult and an invitation to go look around.
    I'd be interested in real functional pluses.

"Ad free" isn't a functional improvement
    Their blog articles (oh, God) aren't a plus at the current state of affairs

Etc...
    And who knows what they'd gouge UK, etc users. We always seem to end up paying double what people in the US do for stuff.... 50 bucks turns into 50 quid and on it goes...
    edited April 2015
    jimmmer wrote: »
    And who knows what they'd gouge UK, etc users. We always seem to end up paying double what people in the US do for stuff.... 50 bucks turns into 50 quid and on it goes...

Well, if you are buying via the channels they've chosen - applestore and google play you shouldn't really see an increase.

Or you can work around it easily.
    edited April 2015

Well, if you are buying via the channels they've chosen - applestore and google play you shouldn't really see an increase.

Sure, but then I'd still be paying 50 bucks a year. Which is about 49 bucks more than I'd like!
  • malibu927malibu927 Posts: 17,648Member Member Posts: 17,648Member Member
    Yeah, those features aren't relevant for me. I'll keep my $50.

Sure, but then I'd still be paying 50 bucks a year. Which is about 49 bucks more than I'd like!

Fo sure.
    And my trust level with development of Mfp and what I'd get for my money is pretty low right now. I mean it's been 6 months - to get this done promised and forgotten:

http://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1710649-planned-features-for-future-forum-updates
    edited April 2015
  • JPW1990JPW1990 Posts: 2,427Member Member Posts: 2,427Member Member
    So pay extra to do what sparkpeople already does for free? The only thing I'd be remotely interested in there is the database filter, but that's only if they fix the database, first. I suspect it's just going to give priority to entries that have a lot of "'yes" votes, regardless of the fact the entry may be 2 years old and the ingredients have changed twice since it was put in.