Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

You asked, you got - kind of. MFP Premium

Replies

• Francl27Francl27 Posts: 26,391Member Member Posts: 26,391Member Member
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    There are a lot of problems with MFP right now, in its free state. If paying fixes the problems, then its like any other consumer decision - it's either worth it to you or its not.

Personally I'm not paying for **** until the database is cleaned up, here or anywhere else.

This sums up my opinion as well. I'd pay the $50 to have a nice clean database. I'm definitely NOT paying $50 to be told what is 'good for me' to eat or have their broscience 'tips'.

The verified food filter I honestly don't care about... A lot of foods I use only have non verified entries anyway, and even if it's verified it doesn't mean it's always accurate (like Graze or Trader Joe's stuff which apparently changes all the time). And it only takes a minute to make my own entry if needed anyway...
  • kristydikristydi Posts: 781Member Member Posts: 781Member Member
    $50 a year? They have got to be kidding.

Ad-Free
    I might pay a one time fee to lose the ads, if it was a fairly small fee. Nowhere near $50.

Exclusive Content
    I don't care about this at all. I've never read a single blog post or recipe from MFP and don't feel the need to.

Macronutrients by Gram
    Might be nice, but not something I'd pay for.

Food Analysis
    I'd be more likely to pay MFP not to do this (not really, but this would be a deterrent, not an enticement to paying)

Quick Add Macronutrients
    I don't care.

Different Goals by Day
    I don't care.

Exercise Calorie Settings
    I don't care.

Home Screen Dashboard
    Might be kinda nice. Not worth paying for.

Priority Customer Support
    Wasn't real impressed with customer support in my only dealing with them.
    edited April 2015
  • crazyjerseygirlcrazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252Member Member Posts: 1,252Member Member
    Meh, good on them. Companies are allowed to make money. As for me, I'm in it for the weight loss so I only need calorie counts TYVM. I'm bright enough to do simple math and know what's good for me and what isn't

If they nuke the free site I'll just get another free calorie counting app. I'd have paid for this app, but I make it a point not to subscribe to anything.
    I paid $2.99 for an app that lets me track macros, cycle different goals on different days, and has a local database (with some questionable default entries) that no one but me can mess up.

I might consider a one-time $7.99 upgrade for MFP, but no way I'd pay that forever.

Which app is that? I'm gonna start keeping an eye out for a replacement for MFP in case they start handicapping the free stuff trying to drive us to pay. I like the social stuff, but all I really need is food logging capability.
  • DeguelloTexDeguelloTex Posts: 6,658Member Member Posts: 6,658Member Member
    kristydi wrote: »
    I paid $2.99 for an app that lets me track macros, cycle different goals on different days, and has a local database (with some questionable default entries) that no one but me can mess up.

I might consider a one-time $7.99 upgrade for MFP, but no way I'd pay that forever.

Which app is that? I'm gonna start keeping an eye out for a replacement for MFP in case they start handicapping the free stuff trying to drive us to pay. I like the social stuff, but all I really need is food logging capability.
    MyMacros+. It's iOS only, afaik.
  • jimmmerjimmmer Posts: 3,535Member Member Posts: 3,535Member Member
    jimmmer wrote: »
    jimmmer wrote: »
    If they eventually cripple the free version more and more, what other halfway competent free tools/apps/sites would people consider jumping to?

I see sparkpeople has already been mentioned - any others? I've never used anything other than MFP.

cronometer is a seriously good tracking website. By far the best I've ever seen. HOWEVER, there is no social content and that's why I actually use MFP.

I've seen a Lifehacker article that mentioned that site. There's certainly nothing wrong with simple and useful (as opposed to bloated and buggy).

I guess at the end of the day I need an accurate UK database, an app to access it and log on the go, ability to save my recipes (and probably a barcode scanner would be helpful - but not a dealbreaker).

The cool thing about cronometer is they do not have their own database.

They search the internet for legitimate databased on food. You just start typing in what you're entering and it'll populate a drop down list like Google Search does.

If you can't find what you're looking for, you enter it yourself.

Ah, the site's free, but the apps a pay only deal?

Also, I'm not really that social, but even I like the social part of this site (albeit limited though my interaction is). Sparkpeople has the social, but not the grams. Cron has the grams, but a paid app and no social. S-health is free but uses weird sizing. There must be a free MFP-clone out there?

Bummer, I'm on android. Thanks though.
  • DeguelloTexDeguelloTex Posts: 6,658Member Member Posts: 6,658Member Member

I can't imagine that there isn't something similar on Android.

• jimmmerjimmmer Posts: 3,535Member Member Posts: 3,535Member Member

My situation, as well.

It really does seem that MFP is the best of the bunch currently. But as of today, I'm cultivating alternatives because.... WE'RE DOOMED!!!, THE END IS NIGH!!!, etc, etc.
  • almondbutterbayalmondbutterbay Posts: 221Member Member Posts: 221Member Member
    I would prob just get a Fitbit or something if the free side of mfp goes down.

Also I would not pay for premium because I feel like the whole analyzing my food part would make me anxious even if I had the option to turn it off. I could be convinced to maybe pay like 20$ a year but not 50$ and only if I was garenteed that the database would be fixed and the site wouldn't be down for maintaining
  • yarwellyarwell Posts: 10,573Member Member Posts: 10,573Member Member
    They don't have "British" versions of the website/software. Tax/VAT... very few international companies pay that here due to imaginative accounting ;) just ask Amazon/Starbucks/whoever.

A paid for version would need to be localised, surely ?

You have to do all the tax crap regardless, even if the net paid is zero - which it is unlikley to be with VAT.

edited April 2015
  • PeachyCarolPeachyCarol Posts: 8,040Member Member Posts: 8,040Member Member
    Yeah... no. None of what they are offering on Premium matters to me in the slightest.
  • QskimQskim Posts: 1,148Member Member Posts: 1,148Member Member
    I'll just got back to "Allan Borushek's Calorie, Fat and Carbohydrate Counter" latest ed. Under $10.
    zh5gi4puxsh9.jpg

And the local for "support" :D

• ndj1979ndj1979 Posts: 29,021Member Member Posts: 29,021Member Member
    man, i really wanted a grams or percent option for macros ..but I don't think its worth 50.00 a year….
  • rjmudlax13rjmudlax13 Posts: 909Member Member Posts: 909Member Member
    Meh....not really getting much. Only thing that really an "upgrade" to me is being able to set macros by grams. Not worth it.
  • LolBroScienceLolBroScience Posts: 4,564Member Member Posts: 4,564Member Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    man, i really wanted a grams or percent option for macros ..but I don't think its worth 50.00 a year….

There are ways for that
  • echmainfit619echmainfit619 Posts: 333Member Member Posts: 333Member Member
    Under Armour (who now owns MFP) are doing the same thing with Map My Ride (et al).

If they were to offer a single subscription so you could use them with all their apps, I might consider it. Doubt that's going to happen.
  • LolBroScienceLolBroScience Posts: 4,564Member Member Posts: 4,564Member Member
    • Priority Customer Support - lol
    • Advertisements removal - adblock
    • Quick Add Macronutrients - already can
    • Nutrient Dashboard - lol
    • Verified Food Filter - create own entries
    • Macronutrients by Gram - already can
    • Exercise Calorie Settings - pretty sure already can
    • Food Analysis - lol
    • Premium Graphs - lol
  • chivalryderchivalryder Posts: 4,430Member Member Posts: 4,430Member Member
    Under Armour (who now owns MFP) are doing the same thing with Map My Ride (et al).

If they were to offer a single subscription so you could use them with all their apps, I might consider it. Doubt that's going to happen.

Map My Ride is the worst GPS app I have ever used.

Endomondo, Ride with GPS, Strava, just to name a few, are vastly better performing apps tham MMR.
  • MelodyandBarbellsMelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,637Member Member Posts: 7,637Member Member

Lol yes of course you're right! That has been the case ever since I've been using MapMyRun. We just looked at the underwhelming list of premium features and have ignored them ever since.

Yeah you guys are really scaring me that the only way to get people paying an arm and a leg for premium features is to mess with the base product - start deleting *kitten*