Hate running but want to run

Options
13»

Replies

• pinkshoelaces
    pinkshoelaces Posts: 111 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I used to hate running as well and I was convinced I'd never be a good runner, but in the past couple months alone I've been making great improvements with my running. I've been able to run more than I ever have in my life. I started using this app called "Zombies!Run 5k" which is like couch25k but with a zombie apocalypse story line which I find more interesting.

I think the biggest thing I did that helped me run more, though, was I lost weight first and built up endurance by doing a lot of intense incline walking on the treadmill. It helped strengthen my leg muscles, and I think that combined with dropping weight first significantly contributed to my new ability to run better.

When I hit those walls where I just feel like I want to stop and that it's too hard, I push myself through. I remind myself that I can still breathe, I'm still able to move, it's not as bad as I think it is and so I keep going and it clicks "hey! I can do this" and I make it to the end. The most important thing is to listen to your body though, know the difference between moments when you're able to push a little farther and actually needing to stop. Don't ever put your body at risk for injury, so if something feels seriously wrong, then of course always slow down and take it easy.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i really was on the fence about running for a while. and then i read this.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/running
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Are you comfortable walking at a brisk pace? Do you love walking? I think if you love walking, then you can learn to love running, if you train for it properly. Don't try to go too fast. Personally, I believe that at least to start out… you should be able to carry on a conversation. If you are gasping for air… you are going too fast. Save your HIIT workouts for another day. If you can't breathe and are in pain… of course you are going to hate it. Couch to 5k is a great program to get you started. I used the app by zenlabs. Works great for me!
  • lngrunert
    lngrunert Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend the C25K app/program. When I first started, just running for 90 seconds at a time was killing me. Now I can complete a 5K run in under 40 minutes without walking or stopping, and am participating in my first 5K event in less than a month. I think it does a great job of easing your mind and body into running.
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I hated running with a passion. I'd literally not run a mile since middle school. But i really wanted to give it a try. I used the couch to five k app and it worked really well for me. Don't get discouraged about having to repeat weeks. Many of us had to. I've kept my interest in it up by setting goals for pace and distance. Constantly working towards an accomplishment really helps.
  • gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Agree with the comments above. Nobody likes wheezing, being out of breath, side stitch cramps or sore legs/back/feet.

But you can avoid a lot of those things by easing in with a C25k program and getting the right shoes. Once you build some lung capacity you'll be amazed at how quickly you can push further and further. And then at some point (spoiler alert you'll think the app is crazy that day), you'll go further than you thought possible.

But ultimately it's about why you want to run. I imagine for most of us, it started off as an efficient way to get some cardio in (and gain some daily calories back) then grew into something we enjoyed.
  • melodyis4reals
    melodyis4reals Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    hapa11 wrote: »
    I use the Zombies, Run! app. It turns your runs into "missions" and is kind of fun.

I wholeheartedly agree
  • kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    gabbo34 wrote: »
    But you can avoid a lot of those things by easing in with a C25k program and getting the right shoe.

This. So much this! I finally broke down and bought new shoes at a specialty store and after one run today I feel a major difference. My feet would hurt so bad after my runs that I sometimes didn't want to run. Today my feet are sore but not in pain. Huge difference. And I love c26k. I started without it and recently went back to pick it up. I feel like my pace and breathing are improving.

If you honestly hate it after a solid try, then don't do it. I hated running until I signed up for my first 5k and weirdly, I started to enjoy it.
  • MichelleB69
    MichelleB69 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I really think the key to learning to run successfully is starting slow. I never enjoyed running, but wanted to start after I lost 30 lbs through strength training and diet. I started out walking for 2 minutes, running for 30 seconds…repeating for 30 minute sessions. It wasn't difficult and built my confidence as I realized I could run longer than 30 seconds fairly quickly. Then I would increase my run time to 5 minutes, walk for 1, etc etc. I am now training for my first 1/2 and at age 46, I ran for 10 miles for the first time in my life 3 weeks ago!! I can't say I LOVE those long runs and I may end up being more of a 10K max kind of woman, but I am going to complete my half! I never would've believe I could run 13 miles EVER. So, my advice would be: 1) Start slow and steady, be patient with yourself 2) Have a goal, know that you are capable of great things! 3) Good fitting shoes are a necessity!! 4) Keep us posted! I have found that runners LOVE newbies; it's like being welcomed into a secret club…we love to hear about your progress & successes!
  • galaxyeyed
    galaxyeyed Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Everyone's given really great advice, so I guess I'll just reiterate a few things that I found really important:

- C25k is great, the app tells you when to run/walk, it's nice and easy.
    - Go slow. No, really, SLOW. I was barely able to "run" for 90 seconds straight and my boyfriend told me to try to slow down. I thought this was ridiculous, because I felt like I was barely moving already, but sure enough the next time I was out I tried going even slower (while still going faster than walking) and BAM was able to go for 5 minutes straight! You're aiming for more of a jog than a run, I'd say.
    - Learn to breathe. A year ago when I tried to get into running, my lungs always gave out before the rest of me. At first I attributed this to my mom's secondhand smoke, but then I googled and found an article or something that said focus on breathing in & out through your nose only. I'd been huffing and puffing and barely getting any air in, but once I really tried to breathe only through my nose, it helped tremendously! This might help with your lung/stitches issue.
    - Do NOT focus on running. It may be hard your first few times to think of anything other than "I'm going to die this is awful how do people do this for miles I can't even run 1 oh man UGH", but it's mostly mental. Listening to music is helpful!

I never liked running and I always rolled my eyes at people who said "it only takes a couple weeks to get into it, really!" Turns out...they were right! You may as well try it out, you may like it too :smile:
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    only ran at night so no one would see me.

Been there, done that!

Of course it's crazy to think this way. Hardly anyone even notices runners and I like to think that those who do notice us, no matter our size, shape, or speed, are applauding our effort.

But... like I said, been there done that.

I much prefer not being afraid of being seen now.