WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2015

Replies

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Good evening ladies! We got very disappointing news last night. The people backed out on the house we were going to buy! Needing some place to live in a month we decided to look at houses today. We are going to put an offer in on one tomorrow. Prayers and good thoughts will be much appreciated. We figure God has something better for us.

Have a great night everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,057 Member
    Good luck fancy- things are meant to b I think, u weren't supposed to get it. U will get the right one
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,695 Member
    Joyce – I am sorry I “ruined” Nemo for you… I am sorry to hear about DH; it is so sad to hear about someone being so depressed –

Katla – I am so glad you figured out what the issue was with the saddle… your instructor sounds so good that I am sure she will work with you.

Sharon – I am sorry to hear that DH’s behavior has not improved. How old is DS? I thought he was an adult and should be able to understand, but I must have him confused with someone else’s DS.

I worked hard today in my yard, I am glad to have made some progress on my front yard project. So the way my yard is there is a the yard, then a sidewalk, then a 2.5 foot deep area which has been planted with shrubs, and then the street. The shrubs have never done well, no irrigation and when cars park and open the doors the break the branches and make a mess… So I have been planning on taking out the bushes then digging out some dirt and filling it in with gravel and flagstone; I have the gravel and flagstone, just needed the time – so I got one 7 x 2.5 foot section done. The section I did had not had real plants but just weeds. The rest of the sections have plants that I would like to “save” but in the current water issues, I am not willing to soak the area so the plants could be dug out successfully. So I am thinking I will put the other sections off until we have rain (probably in October) The drag about that is I have a bunch of gravel on the side of the driveway to use; but I don’t want to leave it there. I will figure out something else to use it for, maybe part of the small patio I am planning… I will need to rake it level, maybe make it a bit low and fill it in with the gravel and then put something on it, I would like it to be flagstone also, but don’t have enough – I will have to purchase some. Anyway 3 hours of digging dirt, gravel and moving of heavy stone earned me a hard cider!

The end result of all this labor will be a front yard with no grass, but lots of low water plants, many bulbs (daffodils, blue bells, snowdrops, and naked ladies), and some wild flowers. And I am putting in a drip irrigation system that right now I am running off of the city water, but plan to re-route to run off of a collection system I am building on the side yard which will gather rain water in the winter and store for summer watering. A huge project in time and cash, but as I look at some of the things my neighbors have done, I know I’ll be happier with this, I love gardens and with some work I can do this with very little water and not have just rock or concrete or dirt.

So far the plants I have in are lavender, rosemary, culinary sage, then the non-edibles are monkey flower, hot lips salvia (red and white), Indian Hawthorne, purple potato vine (Solanum macranthum) which is not a vine or related to potatoes!, Mexican sage, bird of paradise and a red Camilla…. Due to the lack of water everything is smaller than they tell me it will be but that is ok as I can have a huge variety.

OH my I rambled along… sorry!

May goals:
    Walk every day
    Log everyday
    Eat slower
    Plan and do a fun thing every week
    Week 1 – had a friend visit for a couple of days – went to our big second hand store (Savers) and for $23 got 3 pair of walking shoes and a pair of hiking boots – all very gently used. Score!

Week 2 – had Mom for a 4 day visit, tried some new recipes, salmon, shrimp and clams…. Yummy. Did a new walk with the dog that had a long tough hill, and we made it!

Week 3 – reconnected with my hiking friends and hiked Brushy Peak. Also made divinity as a test run for a candy class I am teaching this summer, excellent, and even better gave most of it away.

Week 4 – finished one more portion of my front yard “re-model”

Kim from N. California
    58855297.png
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Happy Saturday folks. Made a nice pot of pinto bean soup, and DH ate some! Well hush my mouth, and call me surprised! I just saute'd about 3 ozs of beef kelbasa with some cayenne pepper, allspice, and regular pepper, then added it to some chicken broth, and two cans of pinto beans. Simmered on med, until the beans are soft and you can squish them against the inside of the pot with a large spoon... Yummy, but a meal that has a fair amount of sodium. A meal that if I added more stuff to it, and made it for 4 people I think the numbers would be lower.
    The concert last night was wonderful. Went to see an 80's band, "Quarterflash".
    Need to hunker down with this program. Need to get serious and lose some of this weight. Need to realize that if I really want this, I will make it happen. If I don't I will just make excuses. I am done with making excuses.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,131 Member
    :/ Kim, we are facing drought here and we live next door to a man who runs his sprinklers for an hour at a time in spite of being asked repeatedly by the neighborhood manger to moderate.....your plans for your yard sound like some of the suggestions that we heard at the neighborhood water meeting this week. Jake is trying to decide where we can put a rain barrel.

1056287i3zmwzup2m.gif19,000 steps today--three hours of dog walking. and 60 minutes on the exercise bike 194904olsgis3xqe.gif

smiley-sleep012.gif Jake and the dogs and cat are already in bed so I'm just checking in and then finishing my lengthy tooth care routine and heading for bed, too.

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful NW Washington smiley-happy020.gif
  • Annr
    oooh @barbiecat I would turn your neighbor in and call the "water-wasters hotline". I did that when I lived in California. My neighor used to wet his sidewalk every morning just because.
  • GodMomKim
    Barbie, the neat thing is that you can put it anywhere within about 100 feet of a downspout and then route your downspout to it with hosing available from home depot.... My challenge has been that rain barrels only hold about 50 gallons... gone in NO time, So I have found a 150 gallon container and I'll be getting at least 2.

Kim
  • GodMomKim
    I really hate the idea of tattling on neighbors - I have family that made it out germany safely because no one told on them, and while this issue is super different I just bristle at the government using us as tattle tails. In my area the water company does tier pricing which hits the abuser in the pocket book, they also can tell what time and for how long water was used so it can be monitored pretty closely by the water company without us.

probably an unreasonable reaction on my part, but certain buttons are easily pushed.

Kim
  • Annr
    Yep @GodMomKim most water companies have color coded radar grid thingy's (I am lame when I have to tech talk) so then they can see on their computer, who the water wasters are. I know in California there is alot of politicians being bought out by the rich so they can have their green lawns, while farmers can't water their crops. Its really a sad situation.
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,081 Member
    Re-entry back to work and home life has been tough this time. I’m really in a funk and find myself frequently bored and edgy. Yesterday I resigned my volunteer board position because I just couldn't face another meeting or another fundraiser. I have a huge itch to go out and buy a new car (where that is coming from, I’m not sure). Everything DH does gets on my last good nerve. Pro basketball playoffs are going on and this is usually my favorite time of year for sports. Right now, I could care less. Working out? Pfffft! Not really into it this week. I hope this is just a case of post vacation blues. My half-sister just had half her colon removed and then found that there is also cancer in her lymph nodes. She just commemorated one year of losing her husband to pancreatic cancer. What do I have to complain about? (Yes, I need you all to give me a good slap across the head.)

Sylvia: Welcome home. Loved the photos of the Gaudi Museum. I hadn’t heard of it, so did a Wikipedia search of it. Fascinating!

Katla: I think it’s so cool how you are progressing with your riding. Glad the back pain has eased up.

Lisa: I’m drooling over your quilted handbags. Wish I had more time to craft. We actually have a ‘hobby room’ in our condo, but due to other priorities, it’s now become the Mars Cave (Mars being our bossy cat who sits in the window watching the birds, squirrels and the world go by.)

Grandmallie: Sounds like you and DH are making a lot of progress on the home improvements. Hope you enjoy the results.

Carey: Kudos on the dinner party. All sounds delish, and the game time must have been super fun.

Cindy: I love diving. What a great motivator. Keep up your great progress.

Meg: No cavities! Lucky you! I probably got enough for both of us. Like you, we’ve got downpours all weekend. Bleh. Wishing I had stayed in Hawaii.

Heather: What a wonderful family weekend you’ve helped to provide to your dear ones.

Toni: Enjoy the rest. Tomorrow is another day.

Maryanne: Whew! Lots going on in your world. Will you be in LV same time as Pip? Vegas is an easy destination for me to hop to from Denver, so if there is any kind of meet up, I’m game!

Carol: I’m excited for you going to Dallas. Have fun! Travel is so good for the soul.

Mary: Oh nooooo! What a bummer about the house, but you are probably right about a better one in the plans. Prayers going up.

Kim: Cheers. You’ve more than earned that hard cider. Your gravel project brings back memories of Michelle’s pool rocks. The garden mix sounds beautiful. Got any pictures for us?

I got in a Costco run between rain showers today. Picked up my first green melon of the season and have slices of it steeping with fresh mint in my water infuser. I can drink gallons of this beverage. Made a soufflé with roasted squash and zucchini which turned out so yummy, I think I’ll do more tomorrow and freeze them. DH has just woofed down his second serving.

To all who are suffering, I send you a giant cyber-hug.
    Stay well. We can do this.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills
    My word for 2014 is mindfulness
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Mary: Sending good wishes your way. I hope you find someplace you’ll like to call home, and soon!

Rori: Sending hugs and virtual flowers. :flowerforyou: You are entitled to feel like you’re in a funk even though others have problems, too.

I have a phone that has almost no memory left, so I’m clearing out photos. My photo file was huge! I’m backing up everything to my computer and deleting the lot from my phone. I’ve sent a videos and stills to DD. She’s under the weather and they’re coming at a good time.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

May Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back
    strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol. Accomplished but here as a reminder.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,474 Member
    I'm BAACCCKKK from the graduation. I think I'm going to have to skim the posts since there are so many.

Got there Wed. night. Thursday did incline intervals on the treadmill at the hotel. Graduation was fine, I posted about it on my homepage. Friday I decided to try the elliptical there, but I didn't feel I was getting a good workout so I went on the treadmill. Friday afternoon went in the pool at the hotel while Vince took a nasty virus off Denise's computer. Took Denise and Pete out to dinner. Today I rode the recumbant bike. I honestly don't feel like I got much of a workout, but I was doing a lot of sitting in the car. We stopped to see Jess on our way home. she came up for the graduation. There was a miscommunication between her and Pete and unfortunately Vince had to get involved. This morning when I got up he was up (HUH?). Seems he was having some tachacardia but converted pretty quickly. Fortunately, I know where the hospital is there so I could drive him if necessary, but he had converted. I know after an attack he's pretty tired so I took my phone and went and exercised. Did pretty good food-wise, but we did go out for ice cream one night and I had more than I thought I'd have. They MUST have a smaller size.

Worked on the x-stitch dishtowels that I'll give the kids for Christmas. Will post a pic of them finished. Now all I have to do is wash them

Met Pete's parents. They are nice, but honestly a bit blue-collar.

pip - your mom is something else, that's for sure

Stopped in at the Y where I worked. Boy, have they expanded! when I was there they just got the 4th branch, now they have 9 branches! They have this really cool piece of equipment which is a curved treadmill. You make it more. Wish we would get one, but I know I'm dreaming.

Went by our old house. Doesn't look very well kept up, the trees are really overgrown, they need to be traimmed. They took out all the bushes in the front of the house. It doesn't have any character at all.

toni - I do think that the old mammos were worse than the newer ones. congrats on the job!

NC Carol - OUCH!!!

Joyce - Did you go for yours mammo), yet?????

Meg - I think I have over 100 DVD's. That includes yoga, pilates, weight training, and aerobic ones.

Carol/peach - hope your mom feels better fast

A friend of Jess' gave her a Fitbit, so she was walking up & down the stops at the hotel

I've always had these "saddlebags" but the other day I looked at myself in the mirror and could swear I didn't see them. Now is it the exercises I do in the pool? I don't know

Heather - good thoughts being sent to your friend

Welcome everyone new!

Vince really wanted to stop by our old vet. I really couldn't have cared less, but they were busy. So he didn't stay long at all. I had a feeling they might be busy.

Lisa - beautiful bags

Michele in NC
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

Terri, I hope you find something extra fun to do this weekend. When we lived in Milwaukee, we were young and just starting our family. We occasionally went to Chicago for a getaway weekend. That was always fun.

Heather, so sorry for your friends with cancer. It is such a horrible disease and I’m thankful every day that my friend is doing so well.

Terri-mom, I love the shirt.

Ma5y, welcome to this great group of women. There is no need to wait until the end of May…no time like the present to enjoy the first day of the rest of your life. Tell us a bit about yourself so we can get to know you. Also, please sign each post with the name you want us to call you. We are glad to have you join us.

Pip, that is so cool about meeting the guy with MS. How nice that he is symptom free for now. I know that made you feel good.

Joyce, my heart goes out to you about your DH. Does he realize how hurtful that is to you when he talks about ending it all? I hope your sinuses heal quickly. You always need your doctor when he’s off, you know. ((Hugs))

Katla, sorry the riding lessons didn’t go well, but glad you figured out the problem. Hope the next one is better.

Allison, I know there is never a dull moment at your house. Glad you are there to comfort Chester. They just don’t understand all the disruption.

Carey
    , glad the dinner was a hit. It sounded great. I know you were worn out before the guest arrived, but sounds like it was worth it. Great job.

Katla, I hope the weather is warm enough for your boating outing. Glad the aches and pains have lessened.

Sylvia, two pounds less than before a vacation????? How did you do that? I want to learn that trick! Congrats for a great job! And congrats on sinking *I think?*. lol Isn’t it strange to learn all the things that thinner people experience.

Heather
    , it just sounds like a wonderful time for you and the kids as well as their parents. Glad the day went well.

Barbaraedmo, welcome. This is a great place for support. Congrats on becoming a Nanna. How wonderful. Come often and please sign your posts with a name you’d like to go by.

Carol, glad you got some rest before going on your trip. I agree that it would be a waste of time to clean house before you go. Have a wonderful time.

Mary
    , sorry for the house falling through, but I’ll bet it’s so something better can come along.

Welcome to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.
    I started getting things out for the neighborhood garage sale which is in a week. I hate pricing things because I never know what to ask. You don’t want it too high or to give things away. Anyway, that is my project for the week. I working to get back on track after my eating was so off for over a week. I’m glad I don’t have company often. The dogs got me up extra early this morning so I’m off to bed.

I hope you all have the bestest night and day possible. Love ya! <3

Thought for the day:

Growing old can be fun if you do it with the right people.

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.

Janet
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Well it seems as if all your thoughts made whatever was going on in my head and nose go pretty much away!!!! :)
    We have had a beautiful day out but it's supposed to change to rain tomorrow. Charlie is trying to figure out a way that he can trim the top of our largest bush. We are in a bi-level and it's to the top of the house. But it is so wide he can't get anything to the top. He has a wild idea of duct taping the trimmer to this long 2x4 piece of wood and standing on top of the ladder and trying to do it that way. Good luck!!!! I wrote a message to both our girls to try to help and get their Dad a little more enthused about getting better. So Michelle wrote me back. He gives a nice monetary gift at Christmas, takes the whole family to our local amusement park for a combination birthday for him and oldest grand daughter, then takes whole family on vacation. So Michelle is saying she will not accept any of that until he gets his treatment started. I am just looking forward to the beginning of the year when we can get his insurance policy changed and he will have better coverage. I think, or at least hope, his outlook will be much better with better insurance. I asked what he would say if it were me who had ulcerative colitis and I was faced with paying that. He said if I wanted it then it was my decision to get it. I can't get him to understand that in a marriage you make decisions together. His decision affects me also.

No, I haven't gotten my mammogram yet! I may have to have sticky notes all over the house to get that done. We have several urgent care centers here I could have gone to for my head and sinuses but the insurance coverage is terrible.

Lisa, I love your handiwork. You and your husband are so talented and so lucky to have each other. I am very jealous! Not only of your talent but of your marriage. Keep it!

Nighty night ladies, Joyce, Indiana
  • GodMomKim
    Mary - I am confused! I went back a couple of days and can not find the message from you that says one of the house deals fell through; is it your new house, the sale of your old house, or is it confusion....What ever happened - I hope it turns out good!

Joyce - get an appointment for a mammogram.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Kim - the house we were going to buy fell through. We now have a month to buy and move. Hopefully the house we looked at today will be our new home. We write up an offer tomorrow.

Mary from Minnesota
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,597 Member
    edited May 2015
    The parents are back! The "angels" turned into crying demons in a blink of an eye! :laugh: DGD still doesn't want to have her midday nap. I think she is afraid they will disappear again. So we are all going out for a walk round the lanes and she might doze off in the pushchair.
    DS and DDIL had a fabulous time. Brilliant food.
    I am sooooo tired as I was awake a lot of the night. No reason - just me! :ohwell:

Dinner is cooked and I found a chocolate parfait in the depths of my freezer. :laugh: Homemade scones for tea treat.

Sylvia - great news about the pounds!

Sharon - HUGS !

Joyce - you seem a bit better. Hope DH finds a way forward. He must be a bit scared.

Mary - that's a shame! Hope you find something you love.

Rori - I'm always like that after a great holiday. You'll soon feel your old self. :flowerforyou:

Love to all. Heather in UK. (snore........)
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,131 Member
    Annr wrote: »
    oooh @barbiecat I would turn your neighbor in and call the "water-wasters hotline". I did that when I lived in California. My neighbor used to wet his sidewalk every morning just because.

:'( Everyone in the neighborhood knows about this guy. He has been asked to stop and refuses. We don't have water meters and we're on a community water system. So, for now, this guy is just another item on my list of the things over which I have no power.

:) Kim, I'll pass the rain barrel info on to Jake to help him figure out what to do next. I thought of filling my watering can in the shower but Jake said he'd probably trip on it or I'd probably spill it carrying it through the house, so I scrapped that idea.....also I am opposed to "tattling" on the neighbors based on a few personal spiritual principles.

<3 Rori, my prescription for your funk is rest, walking, a daily gratitude list, and time.

:) Mary, I'm thinking good thoughts for your next home.

:) We have company coming this afternoon for a study group....could be as few as three or as many as nine. We so rarely have company that I have to think hard about how to get ready for them.

<3 But I won't think now, I'll just get Brandy ready for her walk and stay in the moment.

• Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,525 Member
    Good morning everyone.

Rori -(((hugs)))) Funky days are allowed. take a walk, enjoy the scenery.

The forest fire near us has been put out by the water bombers and the tree planters who were supposed to plant a million trees have moved on to plant elsewhere. They will come back next year and do it all again... We still need rain

Still have my pesky cough... but had to get my garden planted yesterday and did some yard work. Over did it though - coughed more all night. So.... best find something restful to do today.

Rain barrels - first you need rain ...lol.... I have 1/2 whisky barrels at 3 down spouts and a huge caldron I picked up at an auction sale years ago. Two of them drain into dry creek beds and drain away from the house. The other two hold water and my pets drink from them and I use the water to water plant pots on the deck and in the firepit area. And again.... just need rain to top them up. I also have pond plants in a couple of the barrels - because I would love to have a pond...

Take care everyone (((hugs)))) to all.

Lillian in rrreeaaaallllly dry West Central Saskatchewan
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Had an awful food day on Saturday but will try to get back on today. Chinese food adds up so quickly and then I ate fattening snacks after dinner. I find if I let myself go crazy just a bit it is hard to get back on. And, if I start off badly it only gets worse.

Took my new glasses back to Walmart yesterday and asked for a refund. Paying almost 400 dollars for glasses that give you a headache and blurry computer screen is ridiculous. Went to another Walmart that was not a part of NVC and the lady took time to fit me correctly. These will cost almost 500 but I am hoping they will work. And, she assured me that they would take them back no questions asked if they didn't work. I have worn my last pair of glasses for almost 7 yrs so paying so much if they work won't be bad. They are progressive transition lenses.

Mary ~ sorry your house deal fell through but hope you will find something even better.

Lisa and Heather ~ you are both so creative and talented. You have surely been given a gift.

Joyce ~ hoping you and hubby will get better insurance and that will help all around. Being a retired teacher is great in the respect that I have a monthly income and the insurance is good.

Katla ~ I admire you for taking on the riding lessons. I am sure I would not be able to lift a saddle. I didn't realize how much exercise you get from riding.

Michelle ~ bet your saddle bags are really gone. You and Barbie and others are so dedicated to exercising. All of you are to be celebrated.

Kim ~ sounds like you have a lot of hard work if you have to remove shrubs that have deep roots. Also, hauling gravel must be arduous.

We celebrated Memorial Day Friday evening with son's family. Watched the grand kids swim - Jo was so proud to put his face in the water and little sis had to do it too. She does everything he does. Cooked out hamburgers, hot dogs, and Italian sausages with grilled corn, potato salad, and mac and cheese. I was good and had one hamburger and one ear of corn.

Carol/Peach