Snacks!!!

2»

Replies

• patmid
    patmid Posts: 45 Member
    Thanks SnuggleSmacks. The deli meat rolled with cheese and mustard is a favourite of mine too. I haven't seen pumpkin butter or nut butter, but then I haven't looked. It is on my shopping list.

• MissBlunts420
    MissBlunts420 Posts: 63 Member
    Sliced tomatoes with a light sprinkle of Parmesan cheese and pepper.
  • patmid
    Many thanks MissBlunts420. I have to curb my like of cheese but this is a good way of giving tomatoes and pepper a lovely kick, with the taste of cheese.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited May 2015
    Curious, why low fat? Maybe "good" fat is ok? I take small handful of hazelnuts or almonds most every day as a snack or as a component of a meal. Iron in them too. More in almonds IIRC.

Some of my more often reached for snacks:

Apples and celery for bulk, fibre.

Greek yoghurt - plain, 2% or non-fat if you prefer, has more protein than regular yoghurt and importantly, no sugar. I sweeten it by adding frozen blueberries that I thaw a bit in the microwave. Or some other fruit but I like blueberries and yoghurt.

Cottage cheese - also high in protein.

Once in a while, hard boiled egg.

Sometimes I'll take a few slices of natural turkey lunch meat and a slice of provolone, wrap it up and voila, bread-less "sandwich"; protein and not too many calories. I see I'm not the only one!

6 or 8 olives.

Banana.

I run four or five times a week so usually have a bigger calorie deficit to use up; sometimes I'll make a simple salad with a small can of tuna (packed in water). Pretty much a meal in itself but not that high in calories.

Have been experimenting with roasting spicy chickpeas. Tasty but I think I like them moist better.

Do snacks higher in protein or good fats leave a longer lasting feeling of satiation? Some say yes; seem to for me.
  • patmid
    Many thanks for your input mwyvr. I cannot exercise at the moment, and even good fats if eaten in excess will put weight on. I incorporate almonds into my day, but carefully weigh them out and I am sticking to a high protein diet, which seems to be working at the moment.

I haven't chosen Greek yogurt all the time, but I will in future. Love the idea of your protein "sandwich". Tuna salad is one of my favourites too.

I do eat high protein snacks in an effort to keep my hunger at bay, one of my simplest ones is a weighed portion of chicken cut into small pieces for me to nibble on, but I was getting tired of that.

Because of this brilliant site I now have a whole list of snacks for me to choose from.
  • patmid
    Sliced tomatoes with a light sprinkle of Parmesan cheese and pepper.

Just had to say thank you again for your suggestion of grated Parmesan cheese. I couldn't get Parmesan when I went shopping and bought Grana Padano. I added more salad veg and grated just 10g, only 39 calories for the cheese, but what a difference it makes.