Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Hijacking pop ups on MFP

LiveLoveRunFarLiveLoveRunFar Posts: 176Member Member Posts: 176Member Member
Whatever has occurred with your site it is now causing hijacking popups. Get rid of the exporttechsupport.com pop-up. You have to completely shut down (TWICE!!!) to get out of it. Call tech support immediately your information is being compromised.

Replies

• thenk83thenk83 Posts: 22Member Member Posts: 22Member Member
    I just got that myself too.
  • natalienatalie Posts: 18Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium MFP Moderator Posts: 18Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium MFP Moderator
    Our sincere apologies for any popups that are causing interference with the program. This is definitely not our intention and we specifically request this type of content to refrain from showing within the program. We will do all we can to get this addressed as soon as possible. It would be of great help, if you are still seeing this happen, if you could send an email to our support center by either clicking the Help link at the top of this page or by emailing us directly to [email protected]

If possible, in the email, could you please include what type of computer you are using, the web browser you use to access MyFitnessPal, if you have tried alternate web browsers and had the same results, your physical location, such as city/state (ads vary in different areas), your MyFitnessPal username, and if possible a screen shot of the actual ads, or the URL link for those ads.

We appreciate you bringing this to our attention and we will do all we can to help get this resolved as soon as possible.
  • Hearts_2015Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,133Member Member Posts: 12,133Member Member
  • LiveLoveRunFarLiveLoveRunFar Posts: 176Member Member Posts: 176Member Member
    http://pcsupportadviser.com/ Here you go MFP. This is the new one. It gives a tollfree number to call ie: MAC PC virus ....hijacking ad. I'm using chrome browser and a MACbook.
  • sunrise611sunrise611 Posts: 1,885Member Member Posts: 1,885Member Member
    You would be wise to AVOID pop-up ads altogether. They introduce insecurities and vulnerabilities.

If you must have ads on the site, they should be text ads with maybe a small picture that doesn't use up much bandwidth and does not interfere with the user experience or security.
  • lauraelaurae Posts: 132Member Member Posts: 132Member Member
    albalegume wrote: »
    http://pcsupportadviser.com/ Here you go MFP. This is the new one. It gives a tollfree number to call ie: MAC PC virus ....hijacking ad. I'm using chrome browser and a MACbook.

I had the exact same thing happen to me twice while on MFP's site. I just sent their technical support an email today about it. I also have installed "Ad Block" extension to Chrome to try and avoid it happening again.
  • lizprzylizprzy Posts: 1Member Member Posts: 1Member Member
    SAME exact pop-up stating "Online Scan Detected Security Error, Due to Suspicious Activity. Please Call Technical Support Helpline For Free Assistance TOLL FREE: 866-943-9766" that will not let me continue using chrome at all. this means I can't use MFP or anything else that is open on my browser until I click through the pop-ups (not going to do that) or completely force quit CHROME. This has happened several times and I can't use MFP until this is fixed.
  • CyberToneCyberTone Posts: 7,512Member Member Posts: 7,512Member Member
    ​It is a "redirect" advertisement that has gotten through their advertisers' filters.
    Please note the date and time of the issue and send that information to Customer Support on the Help page; they are trying to identify the specific partner network that is allowing these types of ads that redirect and lock up browsers.
    Please see this article on the MFP Help page...
    myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1995488--unwanted-ad-redirect-
    If you are on a PC, you can close your browser without having to reboot. Open the Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Delete > Start Task Manager). Under the Processes tab, highlight your browser file and click "End Process."
  • StevenSteven Posts: 598Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium MFP Moderator Posts: 598Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium MFP Moderator
    I'm so sorry you've had this experience. We are aware from a number of users that at least one advertisement on the site appears to be redirecting to a page that falsely claims that the user's computer is infected with a virus.

Ads on our site are placed by several different ad networks with whom we partner, and it appears that at least on of them is having an issue with their quality control.

We believe that the re-direct you've experienced is being caused by a rogue advertisement . We are working closely with our various ad partners to identify the problem ad, but unfortunately this is never a simple process.

We are currently pausing each of our ad providers in rotation, to try to determine which network is inadvertently serving this content. If you experience this redirect again, would you be so kind as to email and let me know the date and time of day? This will significantly improve our chances of isolating the source of the problem.

The best email to use is [email protected], that will come directly to my attention. Please include your time zone so I can coordinate reports.

Steven
    MyFitnessPal Staff
  • plandreganplandregan Posts: 1Member Member Posts: 1Member Member
    There happening on the Android app now. Game of thrones pop up. No way to shift it other than force stop the app. Doesn't happen every day but 3 times in the last week is just too much
  • sunrise611sunrise611 Posts: 1,885Member Member Posts: 1,885Member Member
    Even once a week is too much for a virus threat.
  • Fatmike77Fatmike77 Posts: 2Member Member Posts: 2Member Member
    I have starting using your app again today after a few months of bad habits. I love it but I am getting redirected to some dodgy sites and jay received an sms saying my credit card will be debited $7.95 a week from Dr mobile Wtf! !! It was one of the pages that popped up. No choice but to remove your otherwise brilliant app and warn others
  • Fatmike77Fatmike77 Posts: 2Member Member Posts: 2Member Member
    Ps this occurred just occurred at 12.46 central australian time. I wrote an angry reply and it said it was going to charge me to send it. Also the same pop up occurred while I was writing this.
  • MelodyandBarbellsMelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,637Member Member Posts: 7,637Member Member
    Fatmike77 wrote: »
    Ps this occurred just occurred at 12.46 central australian time. I wrote an angry reply and it said it was going to charge me to send it. Also the same pop up occurred while I was writing this.

What! That's crazy. Were these messages still coming up even after your removed the app? It appears you probably somehow got some kind of virus!
  • lksbell139lksbell139 Posts: 1Member Member Posts: 1Member Member
    I just downloaded your app to my iPad and was really excited about it, but as I was using it a pop up came up with no way to exit it; I shut down and tried to come back and it popped up again. Takes up the whole screen. Infuriating. I guess I can't use this app after all.
  • robnyrobny Posts: 1Member Member Posts: 1Member Member
    I just got one too. Sad, it's been a great app until now. I've been using it for years. It's hard to believe it's been going on for over a year and you can't stop it
    edited June 2016
  • malibu927malibu927 Posts: 17,648Member Member Posts: 17,648Member Member
    robny wrote: »
    I just got one too. Sad, it's been a great app until now. I've been using it for years. It's hard to believe it's been going on for over a year and you can't stop it

The popups that the original post was referring to only happened on the website and were resolved. These new ones that have spawned in recent weeks seem to only be linked to the app instead. So it's a different mess, though still terrible.
  • JobenJoben Posts: 316Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium MFP Moderator Posts: 316Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium MFP Moderator
    lksbell139 wrote: »
    I just downloaded your app to my iPad and was really excited about it, but as I was using it a pop up came up with no way to exit it; I shut down and tried to come back and it popped up again. Takes up the whole screen. Infuriating. I guess I can't use this app after all.

Hello @lksbell139

Please accept out sincere apologies you are experiencing these types ads. While this is not our intention, this can happen from time to time despite our ad guidelines. If possible, can you send us an email at [email protected]? Please title the subject "Attn:Joben- Spam Ads" so I can locate the email as quick as I can in our pool of support cases.

edited September 2016