Resentment

1235»

Replies

• salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    I get the resentment thing but I know that I feel much better eating the way I do. I also know that I have holidays and fun things coming up through out the year where I will get "loose" with the eating and have fun with that for a while too. I think thats kind of how a normal average person is they dont gorge themselves on food everyday like I use to usually reserved for special occasions and holidays

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,828 Member
    I think what you're feeling is completely normal. For me, it's not that I'm jealous of other people per say; I'm really just sad that I can't binge on chicken tenders, fries, chocolate, etc like I used to. I never used to care how many calories was in what I was eating. As much as I lament not being carefree like that anymore, that's the same attitude that made me end up 60 lbs overweight. I know that counting calories and making smarter choices is better for me ultimately and that's why I continue to do it. But am I sad that even if I work in a "tender and fries" meal into my diet one day I still can't eat a HUGE amount like I used to, guilt free? Or that now I treat myself to 10 Milk Duds and not an entire family-sized box in one sitting? Yup. I'm hoping that feeling will go away the longer I spend on MFP making good choices.

Yes ... this is it exactly.

• victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    I'm sure your feelings are normal, but I really don't feel that jealousy! I know exactly why I am fat. Years of eating way too much and not being active enough. If I see someone skinny who is eating chicken tenders and fries, I can only assume that they are way more active than me or that they eat smaller portions at other times of the day. I don't feel jealous, because I could have made those same choices years ago. But I didn't, and I gained weight.

I echo what other people have said though. I still enjoy all the same foods, just less of them or I work them into my day. I actually just had chicken tenders and fries at Applebees last week! I took a handful of the fries and put them on my daughter's plate before I started eating (because I have a hard time stopping with fries!) and then ate only half of my chicken and saved the other half for the next day. But I still got to enjoy my meal with my family and I still lost 2.5 pounds last week. I am enjoying the "bad foods" more now, because I don't feel guilty anymore when I eat them and I don't think of them as bad foods anymore.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    Simply because someone eats chicken tenders and fries doesn't mean they don't care. Maybe they don't each much for the rest of the day. Who knows?

Maybe their goals are different than yours...

This. I get comments all the time from family/friends when we go out to eat and I order things like burgers, fries, dessert etc. What they don't realize is I've already factored in what I order into my calorie goals, and adjust things as necessary to make it work :)
  • Mountaingirl33
    Mountaingirl33 Posts: 80 Member
    I get gluten-envy. But I was only diagnosed with celiac disease in March so hopefully it goes away at some point.

I'm sometimes there with the gluten-envy and feeling bad about it can make me throw away all my hard work. I try and be happy that others can have a less restrictive diet but acknowledge that I want to be healthy and for me it is an either or option.
  • pdelozier76
    pdelozier76 Posts: 23 Member
    One of the reasons people regain weight is because they feel deprived about not being able to eat like they did before.

This has caused me to relapse a few times. Moderation has helped me with this.
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    A new mindset for me this time around is to stop obsessing about what I "can't" have and rejoice in what I can- which is ANYthing. It's not the food that's the problem for me, it's the portion size. But now that I have it firmly fixed in my little ol' brain that there is nothing in the world denied to me, this weight loss battle is a lot less stressful. And who knew that exercise and weight lifting could be so enjoyable?! (Well, apparently millions of people, I just wasn't one of them).

You feel how you feel, don't apologize. Once those numbers on the scale start to drop I hope dealing with the resentment gets easier.