who loves beer

Options
1235»

Replies

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,489 Member
    Options
    kxforg wrote: »
    Guinness is the go to beer. However there are "unfortunately" many craft breweries within miles of where I live I just have to try them all ;) Current favs are Dry Dock and Breckenridge.

My brother-in-law is one of the brewers at Breckenridge. I taught him how to homebrew about 20 years ago! He went on to win a medal at the Great American Beer Fest for his creme stout. I like to say I taught him everything he knows! (Not!)

• 7lenny7
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    The 5k I'm doing is one in a year round series in Minnesota. Proceeds go to a good cause. I think it started 3 years ago with just 2 beer runs. Now it's over 20 per year. I'm looking forward to it!

http://www.breweryrunningseries.com/

I'm a walker, not a runner. Other than a few half-*kitten* attempts at trying to run several years ago, I've never gotten into it. Apparently I just didn't have the right motivation before...BEER!

My brother-in-law (different one than the brewer mentioned above) and I ran the entire route. I tried to start out too fast and he kept slowing me down so that we were just a bit above a brisk walk. It was hard to run that slow at first, but I believe that's what enabled me to run the entire route. We finished in 36 minutes and headed straight for the taps and had a refreshing IPA. Unfortunately I blew my calorie budget out of the water that day with the 7-8 pints I had at that brewery and two others. I had been planning for that, though, so had been stock piling extra calories in the days leading up to and have about one more day to break even. Worth every drop!!

• mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Back when I was fit and a number of years younger I belonged to a drinking group with a running problem called the Hash House Harriers (google it) - you'll find chapters in major cities all over the world. Runs are marked by "hares" with flour and are devious - the markings include false trails, dead ends, and "find the trail again". It's all great fun and 3/4 to 7/8 along the way it's tradition to have the run pause at a beer cache where the downing of a can of beer is, uh, encouraged.

Running through the city with a bunch of fellow crazies is a good way to make 6 to 10km pass effortlessly. The after-run beer at a local pub is certainly welcome. Net zero calories most days thanks to the run. :smile:
  • 7lenny7
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »
    Back when I was fit and a number of years younger I belonged to a drinking group with a running problem called the Hash House Harriers (google it) - you'll find chapters in major cities all over the world. Runs are marked by "hares" with flour and are devious - the markings include false trails, dead ends, and "find the trail again". It's all great fun and 3/4 to 7/8 along the way it's tradition to have the run pause at a beer cache where the downing of a can of beer is, uh, encouraged.

I joined a bunch of British and South African expats in a hash run about 13 years ago in Al Ain, United Arab Emirates. No beer along the course, of course, but we did imbibe when we got to the hotel, where alcohol is allowed.

Since it was 115F that day, we did not run.

• Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Beer is pretty much my biggest downfall calorie wise. Mmmmmm...beer.