Gym Etiquette?!

12346»

Replies

• cmcdonald525
    cmcdonald525 Posts: 140 Member
    I recently encountered two of the selfie takers. I couldn't even get to the locker room because they were too busy posing in the mirrors along the hallway leading to the locker room door. Took a few minutes for them to realize there were a few of us trying to get by, then they dashed inside the locker room and immediately started posing in the mirror right inside the door, once again blocking the way. In the hour I was there, they didn't touch a single weight or piece of equipment, they just went from one mirror to another, getting in everyone's way. I'm pretty new to this gym (I'll still kinda waiting for someone to ask me what I'm doing there. I feel out of place), I'm paying close attention to this thread so i don't become one of those problem people!
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    I guess I'm just entirely too laid back or none of this bothers me when I'm in the gym. Sometimes I'm that person on the bench on Facebook but it's because I'm in between sets. If someone asks me if they can slide in, no problem. If someone's using a machine I need or is in the middle of killing it on the squat rack, I'll use another piece of equipment.

Otherwise, I don't care if someone doesn't wipe off the machine (I'll do it... it's no big deal), if someone talks loudly on the treadmill next to me (I'll just turn my music up a bit more), or if people take selfies (go on with yourself. I'm not mad at it). If someone next to me dropping weight on the floor and startling me a bit is the worst thing that happens to me that day, then I'm having a damn good day. ;)

Just my two cents since we're sharing opinions.... granted... I can see how other people can get annoyed, but as for me....nah.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    runner475 wrote: »
    Use a barbell instead
    You're just moving the problem to benches or squat racks, not really addressing it.

I would use free weights/barbells at the heart beat instead of machines. A lot more challenging.

For me, lately, more and more folks want to be up close to the weight rack and mirror and do bicep curls. It's always bicep curls close to mirror. what's up with that? Anyone experiencing this at their gym?

Yeah, way too much. Like, take a few steps back so I can walk past your and/or get my own dumbbell.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Since the topic is Gym Etiquette, I have an unrelated question for all you gym go-ers. Is it rude to watch Netflix, hulu, etc without ear buds?

For instance, you are the only one in the room and watching an episode of whatever, someone walks in to work out as well and you do not turn your tablet off or put in ear buds.

Oh hell yes.

Yes. I might be alone on this, but people who have headphones in and sing, especially at full volume, really bug me. Even if they're really, really good singers, which I've actually never encountered.

My favorite is this little, skinny dude (who, I must admit, lifts like way more of a beast than I do) sings his Stained and Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit (sp?) and Disturbed songs like the cookie monster at full volume while lifting.
  • CricketClover
    CricketClover Posts: 388 Member
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    Merci4u wrote: »
    The one thing I find the worst is people who don't wipe down the equipment. I have to breath in your sweaty air, I don't want to sit in it too.

How about the sweaty old men who use their nasty towel to wipe down the machines instead of the gym provided paper towels and disinfectant spray!!

I watched a guy do this a couple times then took him the spray and paper towels and asked him to use that not his sweaty towel. He was quite indignant.

A few nights later I saw another old man doing something similar...only he was reusing a paper towel on several machines ( again not using the spray)

WTH do these old coots have against disinfectant? ??

The lack of disinfectant will not kill you. I happened to visit an old school gym on vacation that was home to several Mr Olympia contenders. This place was in a warm weather city and the gym had no A/C ) , no spray bottles or wipes in sight. What was in sight were a few of the most muscular men most people have ever seen, a couple female fittness competitors (with figures most women on the planet would die for) and some regular Joes and Janes doing work and not concerned about wiping anything.

I am with you a bit on this. I always wipe down at the gym but I am not crazy afraid if others don't. We humans sit places everyday where nastier people than the ones in the gym have just vacated without thinking about wiping down (some people might I know). Think about amusement parks on a hot sweaty day, all that nastiness that people are sitting in! Public transportation, benches at the park, seats at restaurants, etc. All probably really gross.
  • ticiaelizabeth
    ticiaelizabeth Posts: 139 Member
    I ran into a guy the other day that I could have kicked. I was in a squat rack, and in the rack next to me a PT was working with a guy. He was obviously new to the gym and the trainer was showing him some stuff. Some other asshat came up, looked the guy up and down and started loading weight on to this next guys barbell. How rude! I had to say something and now every time i see this guy i can't help but shake my head
  • smr09012
    smr09012 Posts: 42 Member
    Does pool etiquette fit in here, too? I swim every other day and typically the pool is barren when I get there and there are rarely people there to swim laps (I'm at the Y, so a lot of water aerobics, swim lessons, etc.), so they only keep three lanes for lap swimming permanently open. Yesterday there was a guy and his two kids just kicking around in one, two high school swimmers and their boyfriends (they were OBVIOUSLY not there to work out), and an elderly man walking up and down the lane with those foam weights. So I politely waited until the lifeguard got the hint and told dad he could kick around with his kids out of a lane. GET THE **** OUT OF THE LAP LANES IF YOU'RE NOT SWIMMING LAPS. PEROID. /endrant
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited May 2015
    I recently encountered two of the selfie takers. I couldn't even get to the locker room because they were too busy posing in the mirrors along the hallway leading to the locker room door. Took a few minutes for them to realize there were a few of us trying to get by, then they dashed inside the locker room and immediately started posing in the mirror right inside the door, once again blocking the way. In the hour I was there, they didn't touch a single weight or piece of equipment, they just went from one mirror to another, getting in everyone's way. I'm pretty new to this gym (I'll still kinda waiting for someone to ask me what I'm doing there. I feel out of place), I'm paying close attention to this thread so i don't become one of those problem people!

just say, "excuse me, sorry, got to get through, thanks". if you wait for some people to notice, you'll wait forever
  • sandryc79
    sandryc79 Posts: 250 Member
    smr09012 wrote: »
    Does pool etiquette fit in here, too? I swim every other day and typically the pool is barren when I get there and there are rarely people there to swim laps (I'm at the Y, so a lot of water aerobics, swim lessons, etc.), so they only keep three lanes for lap swimming permanently open. Yesterday there was a guy and his two kids just kicking around in one, two high school swimmers and their boyfriends (they were OBVIOUSLY not there to work out), and an elderly man walking up and down the lane with those foam weights. So I politely waited until the lifeguard got the hint and told dad he could kick around with his kids out of a lane. GET THE **** OUT OF THE LAP LANES IF YOU'RE NOT SWIMMING LAPS. PEROID. /endrant

Yeah, I have trouble with this too. Thankfully the lifeguard does kick people out of the lap lane when a lap swimmer shows, but kids constantly transgress, and the parents do nothing. I got hit in the head twice during my session last week by kids playing ball in the lap lane next to me. I begin to suspect they were aiming for me. Lol