Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Verified Food isn't always correct

Replies

• dawnna76dawnna76 Posts: 987Member Member Posts: 987Member Member
    i weigh out everything by grams. i then find entries that list by 1 gram incriments not 100. i double check the info against calorie kings website to make sure the grams match up. it took time but since i generally eat the same foods over and over now my lists are full of the correct info entries and all i have to do is adust the grams for what i ate that day. and logging a whole day takes less than a few minutes each morning
  • minizebuminizebu Posts: 2,478Member Member Posts: 2,478Member Member
    lmr0528 wrote: »
    I almost always create my own entries as long as I have all the nutrition info on hand. I've seen way too many that were wrong to trust that what other's have created is right. I'd prefer to take a few extra minutes to and make my own so I can guarantee it's accuracy.

I'm not saying that I blame you, but this is why there are hundreds of duplicate entries for the same items.

I think that MFP could address people's concerns by having some sort of "I've checked this" box and a "this was last edited on (date) by (user)"
    dawnna76 wrote: »
    i weigh out everything by grams. i then find entries that list by 1 gram incriments not 100. i double check the info against calorie kings website to make sure the grams match up. it took time but since i generally eat the same foods over and over now my lists are full of the correct info entries and all i have to do is adust the grams for what i ate that day. and logging a whole day takes less than a few minutes each morning

Many of the entries that list items by 100gram weight also have a drop down box that you can then change to 1g increments.

But even if a particular entry doesn't have that, you do know that if you have say 63g of something that is listed as a 100g item that you can just enter the serving size as 0.63.

• dawnna76dawnna76 Posts: 987Member Member Posts: 987Member Member
    minizebu wrote: »
    dawnna76 wrote: »

Many of the entries that list items by 100gram weight also have a drop down box that you can then change to 1g increments.

But even if a particular entry doesn't have that, you do know that if you have say 63g of something that is listed as a 100g item that you can just enter the serving size as 0.63.

i know that and thats how i use it, but in order to verify that the listing in MFP is correct in the first place i match mfp 1gram by calorie king 1gram. i have never trusted MFP listings and always double check new foods first and save them in my foods so i dont have to use the main database anymore and can trust that my entries are correct.
  • MelodyandBarbellsMelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,637Member Member Posts: 7,637Member Member
    I almost always create my own entries as long as I have all the nutrition info on hand. I've seen way too many that were wrong to trust that what other's have created is right. I'd prefer to take a few extra minutes to and make my own so I can guarantee it's accuracy.

I'm not saying that I blame you, but this is why there are hundreds of duplicate entries for the same items.

I think that MFP could address people's concerns by having some sort of "I've checked this" box and a "this was last edited on (date) by (user)"

I'm not sure how it works on the app since I haven't created that many new entries, but on the web you're asked if you want to make the entry public. If the entry is private, you can create a billion to your hearts content and not have it clutter up the database. Why I'm not sure on the iPhone iOS app is that from what I recall I'm never asked if I want it public or not. So I don't know if it's making it public or keeping it private.
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

I'm not sure how it works on the app since I haven't created that many new entries, but on the web you're asked if you want to make the entry public. If the entry is private, you can create a billion to your hearts content and not have it clutter up the database. Why I'm not sure on the iPhone iOS app is that from what I recall I'm never asked if I want it public or not. So I don't know if it's making it public or keeping it private.

On the web version if you try to enter an item that the system thinks is a duplicate it will notify you and you have to tell it "Nope, this is not a duplicate". Perhaps if the system initially recognizes the item as a duplicate, then it should generate an extra message when you click the "Make it public" button that says something along the lines of "Are you certain that this is not a duplicate entry? You can keep this entry private for your own personal use or you can make it public". It would be one more checkpoint. (It would be sort of like software programs pause you with a "Are you REALLY sure you want to delete this file" message when you hit the delete button.) Of course, that would probably just annoy people, but it might make some people pause and consider keeping an entry private.
  • lmr0528lmr0528 Posts: 427Member Member Posts: 427Member Member
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

This is what I do. I log everything from the website, I find it's a lot easier than the app. I really don't use the app much at all. But everything that I create is only for my profile. I don't make them be public entries so that I don't clog up the database with duplicates.
  • Land_RocketLand_Rocket Posts: 35Member Member Posts: 35Member Member
    Quote: However you can still visit web sites using both devices.

I'm sure that is the case, but there is one great deal of difference in regards to accessibility for me. This is where I probably am in the minority, but web access is really not possible for me at the moment.

So yes, if app entries don't have to go to the public database, I'd happily use that option.
    edited May 2015
  • MelodyandBarbellsMelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,637Member Member Posts: 7,637Member Member
    Quote: However you can still visit web sites using both devices.

I'm sure that is the case, but there is one great deal of difference in regards to accessibility for me. This is where I probably am in the minority, but web access is really not possible for me at the moment.

So yes, if app entries don't have to go to the public database, I'd happily use that option.

I'm confused - if you're posting here, you have Internet access?

As for the entries - my personal opinion, create them, public or not. Someone else who needs them might actually find them useful, too. Don't drive yourself crazy. You refraining from adding yours means instead of 834 results we get 833. And personally they don't bother me. I know this seems like a selfish approach, and truth be told, it is. If that's something I've learned on my health and fitness journey, sometimes within reason you've gotta pay attention to número uno and what you need - not necessarily everyone else
  • rowlandswrowlandsw Posts: 1,187Member Member Posts: 1,187Member Member
    At this point I just enter stuff off the labels, the database has become useless.
  • Timelordlady85Timelordlady85 Posts: 797Member Member Posts: 797Member Member
    I manually add everything or edit it to it being correct. I don't pick generic meals or things like naval orange, which for example was giving me a calorie amount of like 90 calories but when i peeled and weighed it and measured calories by ounces it was 160 calories. so i weigh everything myself and use the app to scan and verify bar codes.
  • Hearts_2015Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,133Member Member Posts: 12,133Member Member
    rowlandsw wrote: »
    At this point I just enter stuff off the labels, the database has become useless.
    I do the same when I use a new to me product or one that's dropped off my list, I enter it holding the pkg. and hope one matches. If not I edit one to indicate the pkg. size, or macros have changed by the food company, which does often happen. I do it that way because clicking on a food just because it's one I'm going to eat doesn't guarantee it's correct as members on this thread are sharing.

Here's something that I've wondered about: Do ppl not understand that when they add a food with there first or last name in front of it we all have to scan through that as well. I'm occasionally shocked how it's used as others personal database. It's possible some of those members don't realize (or didn't for those member eons back) they do show up. Once a product is listed you really never need to go back so why the personalization?

Not feeling 100% today so if I've shared something that's already been ..my apologies. :)

The comment quoted above regarding the database being useless is not something I agree with. I do have to edit quite often as I don't always eat the same things so it's not always in my own food database but as long as it's no longer correct or there are misspellings then I figure (hope!) I'm adding to a positive experience for others coming after me.

I don't know what the solution is... some of the clean up could come by MFP staff but even then it comes down to us members and how we add things from then on. I too have found a dozen or so 'verified' ones that are now incorrect. I think they were correct at one point but labels change as time goes on and then they are no longer correct but unable to be edited by us members. Also oh how I wish the verified ones had been added with grams or ounces instead of only using a cup measurement for solids.

Um, and seriously what the heck is up with an entry that says 1 Pea, 1 M&M, a bite of sweet corn? smh ;) It sorta cracks me up now even picturing someone adding that but it's far from funny when I'm trying to find an entry in the database. Because really....What is a piece of roast? What is a cup of roast? How about using grams instead or at least ounces for solids?

Even if you're only going to have a bite of that corn or one M&M, the rest of us might appreciate the full entry and then we can determine what 1 M&M would be.

Entries that have only the fat entered, or only sodium, still others it's only a certain vitamin? Many of these types are ones that are bloating the database for the rest of us. What the heck, I'm not sure I understand the reason they are entered at all? lol
    edited May 2015
    Yes JaneiR36 I have Internet access. It is a physical issue.

I've got to admit, I'm now at the point that I've stopped caring. I'll just work around it the best I can.

The database is what it is, I don't expect it's going to change. So in all honesty, I suggest we all just use it how we can.

But if MFP does cut off all free access, it's one site that won't get my credit card details in its current state. Opinion over.
    edited May 2015
    Looking forward to catching up on this thread later this evening. :) I agree I don't think of this thread as fighting but sharing and hopefully some teaching moments. I for one had no clue others were adding their entries in 'my foods' until staff shared the idea with me when I was having trouble several weeks back. BRILLIANT idea... even if it is a work around. It works ..
    I manually add everything or edit it to it being correct. I don't pick generic meals or things like naval orange, which for example was giving me a calorie amount of like 90 calories but when i peeled and weighed it and measured calories by ounces it was 160 calories. so i weigh everything myself and use the app to scan and verify bar codes.

How does one know if it's corrected when it's scanned? I use a PC but am curious as I've had several friends mention sometimes the scanner shows it as a completely different food. Scan a box of cereal and soup shows up.... that sort of thing. Now how does one work around that? I think I'd be paranoid on if my foods were being properly scanned. But that's me. ;o)
    edited May 2015

How does one know if it's corrected when it's scanned? I use a PC but am curious as I've had several friends mention sometimes the scanner shows it as a completely different food. Scan a box of cereal and soup shows up.... that sort of thing. Now how does one work around that? I think I'd be paranoid on if my foods were being properly scanned. But that's me. ;o)

Scan it. Nutritional info comes up. Compare with label. The nutritional info on my screen had calories serving size and such at the top, but I thought this "not a correct match?" Portion was pretty interesting:

r3cjnzv599ot.jpg

• alikondaalikonda Posts: 2,541Member, Premium Member Posts: 2,541Member, Premium Member
    @HappyCampr1 FYI, there are in-app video tutorials under the Help menu. :smile:
  • alikondaalikonda Posts: 2,541Member, Premium Member Posts: 2,541Member, Premium Member
    alikonda wrote: »

Why, so there are. :blush: I guess I would have noticed that when I started if I'd known I needed help. Unfortunately, I had no problem logging foods and creating new entries unnecessarily, lol. As far as I knew, everything was working as it should. I don't know why I would ever have clicked the help button. Maybe if the button had said Tutorial on it, I would have checked it out. That's probably just me, though.
    From what I've heard from people I know who have started more recently than I, they've added some walkthroughs for new sign-ups, so maybe it's more obvious?
    alikonda wrote: »

Why, so there are. :blush: I guess I would have noticed that when I started if I'd known I needed help. Unfortunately, I had no problem logging foods and creating new entries unnecessarily, lol. As far as I knew, everything was working as it should. I don't know why I would ever have clicked the help button. Maybe if the button had said Tutorial on it, I would have checked it out. That's probably just me, though.

Honestly that's me too. Not necessarily with the creating new entries, but although I'm learning new things all the time, I at least felt like I knew enough to log efficiently - and that could be where a lot of people just aren't yet. Plus the app remembers WAY more in the "Recents" area than the four pages displayed on the website

@land_rocket, thank you for your patient explanation, and sorry for being so dense and probing!

No worries @JaneiR36 it's easy to understand. If it was as easy as "just..." doing something, I really would. Anything for an easy life IMO.

And that really is the whole point of the topic isn't it? Don't we all just want an easy life AND to be sure that we're doing it as right as we can? :)