Tips on losing weight without serious exercise?

Replies

• NoXcusesFit
    NoXcusesFit Posts: 37 Member
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    kailakrush wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Anyone have any advice or a plan they follow or recommend?

Thanks!

Exercise is not a requirement for weight loss, however, it does speed up the process. I eat at about a 300 calorie deficit, but I do have a cheat meal on Fridays. My cheat meal is usually carb loaded, although sometimes it can be a ridiculous amount of protein. I do calisthenics at home. I also walk 3 miles on Tuesdays and Thursdays. My muscles are getting tighter and more defined, which in turn makes me look more fit.

Yes, you can eat whatever you want as long as you stay within your calories, but let's be honest. Do you think you're going to lose weight faster eating clean or eating fast food? Cut out your processed food and you'll lose weight faster and you'll feel a ton better too.

calorie deficit is calorie deficit. Does not matter if you eat "clean" (whatever that is), or if you eat fast food. The fact that you think there is a difference is ridiculous.

what are you defining as processed?

Clean eating is a deceptively simple concept. Rather than revolving around the idea of ingesting more or less of specific things (for instance, fewer calories or more protein), the idea is more about being mindful of the food's pathway between its origin and your plate. At its simplest, clean eating is about eating whole foods, or "real" foods — those that are un- or minimally processed, refined, and handled, making them as close to their natural form as possible. However, modern food production has become so sophisticated that simply eating whole foods can be a challenging proposition these days.

TL;DR: Clean eating is not stuff in a box, can, etc.

You are absolutely right: calorie deficit is calorie deficit. But think about this situation:

Breakfast Option A: Egg McMuffin from McDonald's. 300 calories (the sandwich alone)
    Breakfast Option B: One large naval orange, one vanilla greek yogurt, one hard boiled egg white, one cup of coffee with 1 tbsp of Italian Sweet Creme creamer. 257 calories.

Think about the nutritional value each of these options offers.

An Egg McMuffin and greek yogurt both offer the same amount of protein.
    Greek yogurt contains 0g of fat, <5mg of cholesterol, 15g of carbs, and 65mg of sodium.
    An Egg McMuffin contains 13g of fat, 260mg of cholesterol, 31g of carbs, and 750g of sodium.
    (I'm sure you noticed some of these in the nutrition tracker in MyFitnessPal. There's a reason they're there)

Looking past the nutritional value and looking solely at the quantity of food, which option do you think will keep the person fuller longer? Keep in mind that the yogurt has the same protein as the single Egg McMuffin and protein is proven to "curb hunger" (which is why people with healthy diets snack on things like nuts). Option B also has the egg white and an entire large orange to top it off.

Now think about someone who isn't in the habit of calorie counting. Think about someone who isn't used to portion sizes or limiting how much they're allowed to eat for an entire day. Typically, if they don't eat to their normal capacity (meaning let's say they're normally used to eating an Egg McMuffin with 2 hashbrowns and a large cola, as opposed to the one Egg McMuffin sandwich), they're going to feel hungry. This is why you hear a lot of new dieters say they always feel hungry. I'm sure you can imagine what happens next.

Eating clean isn't easy for everyone. Just one month ago my fridge was constantly empty, aside from soda. Everything was in cans/boxes or delivered from a restaurant or picked up at a fast food place. I was just too lazy to grocery shop or cook for myself. Now I actually enjoy cooking. I enjoy picking out my fruit for the week and the veggies to cook with my steaks or chicken breasts or ahi tuna steaks. I don't feel as lethargic all the time (because I don't have all that extra junk that's in processed foods in my body), which means I have more energy and motivation to actually exercise. It's hard to get into it, but I promise it is worth it.

To anyone reading this, don't knock it before you try it. Just try it for a few weeks and be true to it. Don't think you have to starve yourself or eat steamed carrots for every meal, because you don't. I eat roughly 1,300-1,500 a day, but I always exercise to have at least a 150 calorie deficit. I have one cheat meal a week. Through out the week, I do eat chocolates and sweets (I have a terrrrrible sweet tooth). I just make sure I don't take up 50% of my calories for sweets.

TL;DR: Calories in and calories out. It's a tad more complicated than that.

You spoke about not counting calories on a calorie counting site? I still don't see what you are talking about it more complicated to do what. Calorie deficit?

I didn't say "don't count calories" literally anywhere in my post. Trust me, COUNT YOUR CALORIES. I'm saying be smart about how you use those calories. Processed foods typically hold higher calories for a quantity of food that is small, opposed to clean food that you can eat a TON of and still eat the same or fewer calories, hence my example breakfast choices above.

More food means less hunger. Less hunger means less likelihood of taking in extra calories. Not taking in extra calories means a higher calorie deficit. A higher calorie deficit at the end of the day means? DRUM ROLL PLEASE...MORE WEIGHT LOSS! If you need any more clarification just let me know! I'd be happy to help you understand! :)
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    In what world is Greek Yogurt not processed?

Unless there are yogurt trees out there of which I'm unaware.

Don't forget the rivers of CoffeeMate creamer which are bountiful and you can drink straight from them.

Ahh yes...wasn't that featured in the documentary "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory"?
  • 89Madeline
    89Madeline Posts: 205 Member
    I just lost most of my weight with a deficit calculated by MFP, until I lost 15 kgs. For the last 5, I realised I needed to add exercise and pay closer attention to my macros (less fat, more protein) in order to keep losing and hitting that goal weight.

This is what I have been noticing too. The lower your target weight based on BMI/BF the longer and harder it can be to get there so exercise can help you create the deficit you need as your allowed calories drop.

Yes exactly! The lower it gets, you also realise those extra 100/150 cals a day start making much more of a difference then before. First, if I was slacking a little bit, I'd still keep losing (although a little less). Now it stalls immediately or I gain!
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited May 2015

Thanks!

Exercise is not a requirement for weight loss, however, it does speed up the process. I eat at about a 300 calorie deficit, but I do have a cheat meal on Fridays. My cheat meal is usually carb loaded, although sometimes it can be a ridiculous amount of protein. I do calisthenics at home. I also walk 3 miles on Tuesdays and Thursdays. My muscles are getting tighter and more defined, which in turn makes me look more fit.

Yes, you can eat whatever you want as long as you stay within your calories, but let's be honest. Do you think you're going to lose weight faster eating clean or eating fast food? Cut out your processed food and you'll lose weight faster and you'll feel a ton better too.

calorie deficit is calorie deficit. Does not matter if you eat "clean" (whatever that is), or if you eat fast food. The fact that you think there is a difference is ridiculous.

Clean eating is a deceptively simple concept. Rather than revolving around the idea of ingesting more or less of specific things (for instance, fewer calories or more protein), the idea is more about being mindful of the food's pathway between its origin and your plate. At its simplest, clean eating is about eating whole foods, or "real" foods — those that are un- or minimally processed, refined, and handled, making them as close to their natural form as possible. However, modern food production has become so sophisticated that simply eating whole foods can be a challenging proposition these days.

You are absolutely right: calorie deficit is calorie deficit. But think about this situation:

Breakfast Option A: Egg McMuffin from McDonald's. 300 calories (the sandwich alone)
    Breakfast Option B: One large naval orange, one vanilla greek yogurt, one hard boiled egg white, one cup of coffee with 1 tbsp of Italian Sweet Creme creamer. 257 calories.

Greek yogurt contains 0g of fat, <5mg of cholesterol, 15g of carbs, and 65mg of sodium.
    An Egg McMuffin contains 13g of fat, 260mg of cholesterol, 31g of carbs, and 750g of sodium.
    (I'm sure you noticed some of these in the nutrition tracker in MyFitnessPal. There's a reason they're there)

Looking past the nutritional value and looking solely at the quantity of food, which option do you think will keep the person fuller longer? Keep in mind that the yogurt has the same protein as the single Egg McMuffin and protein is proven to "curb hunger" (which is why people with healthy diets snack on things like nuts). Option B also has the egg white and an entire large orange to top it off.

Now think about someone who isn't in the habit of calorie counting. Think about someone who isn't used to portion sizes or limiting how much they're allowed to eat for an entire day. Typically, if they don't eat to their normal capacity (meaning let's say they're normally used to eating an Egg McMuffin with 2 hashbrowns and a large cola, as opposed to the one Egg McMuffin sandwich), they're going to feel hungry. This is why you hear a lot of new dieters say they always feel hungry. I'm sure you can imagine what happens next.

Eating clean isn't easy for everyone. Just one month ago my fridge was constantly empty, aside from soda. Everything was in cans/boxes or delivered from a restaurant or picked up at a fast food place. I was just too lazy to grocery shop or cook for myself. Now I actually enjoy cooking. I enjoy picking out my fruit for the week and the veggies to cook with my steaks or chicken breasts or ahi tuna steaks. I don't feel as lethargic all the time (because I don't have all that extra junk that's in processed foods in my body), which means I have more energy and motivation to actually exercise. It's hard to get into it, but I promise it is worth it.

To anyone reading this, don't knock it before you try it. Just try it for a few weeks and be true to it. Don't think you have to starve yourself or eat steamed carrots for every meal, because you don't. I eat roughly 1,300-1,500 a day, but I always exercise to have at least a 150 calorie deficit. I have one cheat meal a week. Through out the week, I do eat chocolates and sweets (I have a terrrrrible sweet tooth). I just make sure I don't take up 50% of my calories for sweets.

You spoke about not counting calories on a calorie counting site? I still don't see what you are talking about it more complicated to do what. Calorie deficit?

I didn't say "don't count calories" literally anywhere in my post. Trust me, COUNT YOUR CALORIES. I'm saying be smart about how you use those calories. Processed foods typically hold higher calories for a quantity of food that is small, opposed to clean food that you can eat a TON of and still eat the same or fewer calories, hence my example breakfast choices above.

More food means less hunger. Less hunger means less likelihood of taking in extra calories. Not taking in extra calories means a higher calorie deficit. A higher calorie deficit at the end of the day means? DRUM ROLL PLEASE...MORE WEIGHT LOSS! If you need any more clarification just let me know! I'd be happy to help you understand! :)
    hmm
    Now think about someone who isn't in the habit of calorie counting. Think about someone who isn't used to portion sizes or limiting how much they're allowed to eat for an entire day.

I know about calories deficit. Have you looked at my profile pictures? I think I know how to gain and lose weight pretty well now and keep a lot of my muscle mass say bod pod result(actually it increases).

You are assuming that someone will eat when they get to there limit if they are hungry.
  • NoXcusesFit

Thanks!

I am confused. Is one of your scenarios supposed to be a clean scenario and one supposed to be an unclean/dirty/processed scenario? Which one is which?

The one with the orange is obviously the processed option.

Right. The one with Greek Yogurt, which is processed, and with Italian Sweet Creme Creamer, which is processed. Oh and coffee, also processed. That's what I thought. Ok thanks.

People. I'm not an "organic" foodie. I get my fruits from the "regular" section. Why are you all thinking I'm trying to hate. I am trying to give advice. If you don't want to take it, then don't. This is taking the less of two evils here. But please don't tell me you think eating a meal at McDonald's is better or even the same for your body than eating fruits and yogurt, because it's not.
  • NoXcusesFit

Thanks!

I am confused. Is one of your scenarios supposed to be a clean scenario and one supposed to be an unclean/dirty/processed scenario? Which one is which?

I can tell you're being just a little snarky here, but the top part explaining what "clean eating" is, came from here: http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/weight-loss/plans/diets/clean-eating/

So whatever type of tone you got from that isn't mine.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    CICO yo
  • NoXcusesFit

Thanks!

Now think about someone who isn't in the habit of calorie counting. Think about someone who isn't used to portion sizes or limiting how much they're allowed to eat for an entire day.

...right. I'm saying sit in their shoes. I'm saying if you aren't used to calorie counting, you're going to eat more. That is why I'm saying BE SMART WITH THE CALORIES YOU HAVE. MEANING COUNT YOUR DANG CALORIES AND MAKE GOOD CHOICES ABOUT THEM.
  • yopeeps025

Thanks!

...right. I'm saying sit in their shoes. I'm saying if you aren't used to calorie counting, you're going to eat more. That is why I'm saying BE SMART WITH THE CALORIES YOU HAVE. MEANING COUNT YOUR DANG CALORIES AND MAKE GOOD CHOICES ABOUT THEM.

3e89ed27b2f33596eec90908a8d49cfb_full.jpg
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited May 2015

Thanks!

Me too-I'm assuming the second one is supposed to be the 'clean' meal, but yogurt is pretty processed and comes in a plastic container, coffee is pretty processed and comes in a can or a bag. And I don't even know what Italian Sweet Creme creamer is, but that doesn't sound very 'clean'. Based on the posters own definition, the second meal is only 'clean' based on the eggs and oranges, though both of those come in packages where I live.

And no-it really isn't more complicated than calories in, calories out. People just keep trying to make it that way.
  • juggernaut1974
    edited May 2015

Thanks!

Right. The one with Greek Yogurt, which is processed, and with Italian Sweet Creme Creamer, which is processed. Oh and coffee, also processed. That's what I thought. Ok thanks.

People. I'm not an "organic" foodie. I get my fruits from the "regular" section. Why are you all thinking I'm trying to hate. I am trying to give advice. If you don't want to take it, then don't. This is taking the less of two evils here. But please don't tell me you think eating a meal at McDonald's is better or even the same for your body than eating fruits and yogurt, because it's not.

I'd eat the egg mcmuffin over the other option every day (and twice on Sundays)

Or...more specifically, I'd duplicate the McMuffin at home...it's pretty much my standard go-to breakfast anyway.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,455 Member

Thanks!

I absolutely do think that there is nothing wrong with eating an Egg McMuffin from McDonalds. 300 calories, 17g of protein, and I can eat it in my car on the way to work while sipping a McLatte? It's hard to do that with a hard boiled egg, an orange, and a yogurt. If you are insistent on getting some fruit and yogurt in there, I can also get a fruit and yogurt parfait at McDonalds as well, instead of the McLatte for 150 cals.

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited May 2015

Thanks!

And why is being able to fit an Egg McMuffin into your daily goals once in a while a bad choice?
  • juggernaut1974
    edited May 2015
    RGv2 wrote: »

Thanks!

And why is being able to fit an Egg McMuffin into your daily goals a bad choice?

Because..."processed"...or something...

Or maybe it's because we forgot to order the hash browns too.

Cuz seriously...who gets McDonald's breakfast and doesn't get the hash browns??
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member

Thanks!

So if I make something similar to an egg mcmuffin at home (english muffin, turkey sausage, cheese, scrambled egg patty), does that instantly make it bad for me because it's not yogurt and fruit? Other than the one from McDonald's probably being higher in sodium, why is it so bad?

My pasta is in a box. My diced tomatoes are canned. Does that make them bad?

Different things work for different people. What works for you may not work for someone else. Posting experience as absolute truth is silly.

~Lyssa
  • yopeeps025
    edited May 2015

Thanks!

And why is being able to fit an Egg McMuffin into your daily goals a bad choice?

I usually don't get hash browns.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited May 2015

Thanks!

I'd eat the egg mcmuffin over the other option every day (and twice on Sundays)

Or...more specifically, I'd duplicate the McMuffin at home...it's pretty much my standard go-to breakfast anyway.

Homemade McMuffins are a regular weekend breakfast at my house (well, the McDs ones are too actually lol).
  • juggernaut1974

Thanks!

I usually don't get has browns.

a436e23413e3e96506220d3be4af45e8600c6902b33fadf048c93d88ccb75d5c.jpg
  • 04hoopsgal73
    04hoopsgal73 Posts: 925 Member
    I don't know what you mean by serious exercise. What I do know is to eat at a deficit for weight loss. MFP settings don't work for me but customizing my settings do. I'm 60 and my BMR is 1370. Normally I achieve 85-90% MHR. For past 9 months I've had injuries and able to achieve 70% of MHR. So my macros are adjusted accordingly to achieve weight loss goals.