The "Dad Bod"??!!

13»

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    Eh, I think it's much ado about nothing. A girl wrote a post about how she likes out of shape guys because she gets embarrassed in a bikini. She phrased it as if she was speaking for a lot of women. And the internet went mad.

I haven't heard one person in real life or on a non fitness site discuss this. Probably because the reality is that most adult men are not fit. Just like most women are not in shape. We're not exactly a nation of hardbodies (I'm in the U.S.) Saying that you're attracted to the physical norm in your culture is not exactly News At 11 material.

I heard it on the radio this morning. it's totally becoming the new thigh gap.

which makes me stabby.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    amwoidyla wrote: »
    That video is great!

The issue that I have with the dad bod is that beauty standards for women are strict as ever, while men's are getting more and more lax.
    Women are expected to be hairless wonders, while men get beards and man buns. It was already stated, but women are expected to get their pre-baby body back, while this whole dadbod trend is in. Mediocrity for men (man child) is totally becoming more widely accepted it seems. Masculinity studies anyone?

Don't get me wrong though...I'd jump on Seth Rogan just as fast as Dwayne Johnson.

The way I heard it put, women marry men thinking they can change the man, and they can’t. Men marry a woman thinking she won’t change, and she does.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited May 2015
    I was married to a beautiful woman for 15 years who started reading girly magazines and joined facebook. She started to feel insecure I did everything I could to let her know how awesome she was--successful doctor, sent her flowers to work (every week), told her I loved her, had two kids, worked hard etc but It wasn't enough to compete with the girly magazines/facebook competition and got the best of our marriage. First it was fake boobs, then fake hair ext, then botox, another boob job, and a bunch of other stuff I asked her to get counseling but nothing could make her happy.. Eventually she started cheating on me thinking more sex could make her happy.-After our divorce she went on a rampage of different men, drinking alcohol, eating bar food, lost her medical license for a year all to compete in a womans world. I feel sorry for woman who get addicted to it and can assure you only dumb boys appreciate all that crap you do to yourself not real men!! Personally I like a woman who is positive, thinks about others, wears little make up and lives a simple positive active life-- So sexy!!!

Oh my X is doing better but is 200+ pounds still drinks but hasn't had a new boy friend in 4 weeks ya it was that bad - I pray for her but she has a long road ahead of her to be a real healthy civilized human again!!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited May 2015
    It's basically a way to glorify apathy. Some insecure women and some lazy men have jumped on this bandwagon in order to make themselves feel better for having partners who don't make them feel more insecure and for not caring enough to improve their physiques.

Let me be clear...it's fine if you have a "dad bod" and it's fine if you don't have time/interest in improving it. But it is in no way preferable.

Nice thoughts.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    roxiie89 wrote: »
    What the hell is the dad bod

Google is your friend:
    http://theodysseyonline.com/clemson/dad-bod/97484
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    I love how this thread about the new "hot trend" in men's bodies has been turned into some weird "let's blame the womenz" argument. Because yes, of course, all of these men let their bodies go only to please the super-insecure woman in their lives.

I don't recall any threads about overweight women becoming socially acceptable because of insecure men.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    I love how this thread about the new "hot trend" in men's bodies has been turned into some weird "let's blame the womenz" argument. Because yes, of course, all of these men let their bodies go only to please the super-insecure woman in their lives.

I don't recall any threads about overweight women becoming socially acceptable because of insecure men.

boom.

I can't believe the how absurdly lope sided our society is really. absurd.
  • s2mikey
    s2mikey Posts: 146 Member
    Anyone else tired of hearing about this new "dad bod" craze? Personally, I think it makes zero sense to glorify and the whole reasoning behind it seems insecure and childish.

First, let me say that I can relate to the challenge of balancing fitness with work and parenting. It adds as much to your plate as a 2nd job. But that's why I disagree with putting the dad bod on the pedestal like it was achieved instead of given to them.

Being a male that stays in shape and has an interest in fitness does not mean we are all meatheads. Usually that same desire for self improvement, routine and discipline applies to other aspects of us and we're passionate about other areas in life as well.

I'm not saying having a dad bod is a bad thing. Again, I relate to how hard it is to balance work, family and your own personal goals. I just don't relate to glorifying a body type strictly on the basis of being out of shape and not having any desire for self-improvement.

/rant

Totally with ya, man. I'm 44 years old and in the best shape of my life. I would NEVER go back to being a fat toad. I'm happier, healthier, and everything is simply better being fit. Period. This dad bod thing is just a way for lazy folks and excuse makers to stay shaped like a big egg.

As far as time goes...."I don't have time" is the most lame excuse ever and gets overused these days for everything people don't wanna do. I have the same daughters, job, and household to maintain as everyone else but I always find the time to get my workouts in. I'm in maintain mode now but I lost all my weight doing vigorous cardio every other day for about a half hour. That with some smart dietary choices is all it took. Then, start weight lifting to tone and restore muscle. Done. Easy? No.... But it works. :)
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited May 2015
    s2mikey wrote: »
    Anyone else tired of hearing about this new "dad bod" craze? Personally, I think it makes zero sense to glorify and the whole reasoning behind it seems insecure and childish.

First, let me say that I can relate to the challenge of balancing fitness with work and parenting. It adds as much to your plate as a 2nd job. But that's why I disagree with putting the dad bod on the pedestal like it was achieved instead of given to them.

Being a male that stays in shape and has an interest in fitness does not mean we are all meatheads. Usually that same desire for self improvement, routine and discipline applies to other aspects of us and we're passionate about other areas in life as well.

I'm not saying having a dad bod is a bad thing. Again, I relate to how hard it is to balance work, family and your own personal goals. I just don't relate to glorifying a body type strictly on the basis of being out of shape and not having any desire for self-improvement.

/rant

Totally with ya, man. I'm 44 years old and in the best shape of my life. I would NEVER go back to being a fat toad. I'm happier, healthier, and everything is simply better being fit. Period. This dad bod thing is just a way for lazy folks and excuse makers to stay shaped like a big egg.

As far as time goes...."I don't have time" is the most lame excuse ever and gets overused these days for everything people don't wanna do. I have the same daughters, job, and household to maintain as everyone else but I always find the time to get my workouts in. I'm in maintain mode now but I lost all my weight doing vigorous cardio every other day for about a half hour. That with some smart dietary choices is all it took. Then, start weight lifting to tone and restore muscle. Done. Easy? No.... But it works. :)

Exactly with you and 46-- Woman have to get past "Kim K-science" to truly see how beautiful they are not give a hint to men to give up because they have..

• amwoidyla
    amwoidyla Posts: 257 Member
    amwoidyla wrote: »
    That video is great!

The issue that I have with the dad bod is that beauty standards for women are strict as ever, while men's are getting more and more lax.
    Women are expected to be hairless wonders, while men get beards and man buns. It was already stated, but women are expected to get their pre-baby body back, while this whole dadbod trend is in. Mediocrity for men (man child) is totally becoming more widely accepted it seems. Masculinity studies anyone?

Don't get me wrong though...I'd jump on Seth Rogan just as fast as Dwayne Johnson.

Man burns and man child? Ok Jessica Valenti.

With men, their attractiveness has been traditionally rated less physical, but more with what they do, and how much money they make. Probably explains why so many commit suicide when unemployment hits men hard. With women it's always been more physical. Standards do not have to be physical to be stressful to a person and their self-worth.

Isn't the whole dad bod thing about women and what women want (the dadbod makes women feel less insecure); it's about having men accept an unattractive body type so they'll be more accepting and empathetic of women with similar body types.

Jessica Valenti?! Best compliment ever!
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    3bambi3 wrote: »

Well, in defense of men, this whole "dad bod" thing was started by a woman who plainly stated that it's because she is insecure. It's not weird when that's how it happened. Did you read the article that seems to be responsible for this whole thing? It wasn't written by a guy.

Regardless, it's not about "all these men" or even "the women." It's about a (probably) small but vocal group of people who jumped onto a bandwagon. There's not really any way to defend the whole thing, because it's stupid.

Note: I don't care what people look like, what they prefer from a body type standpoint, or any of that. I'm talking about the entire "movement" being stupid because it's based on downright sad reasoning (mostly insecurity and control).
  • RyanPed
    RyanPed Posts: 10 Member
    It's is just giving people a reason to be lazy. I'm a dad with two kids and I still find time to get to the gym 5 times a week. Not only get to the gym but keep in shape for physique comps. My 3y/o loves going to the gym with me. I think how we live our lives will show our children what is acceptable in society. If they see that it's ok to be out of shape then that's what they will become. There is always time to workout who doesn't have time for a quick jog. If you have kids and can't get in a cardio session then your not playing with them enough. Dads should be an example and not have a "dad bod"
  • upgradeddiddy
    upgradeddiddy Posts: 281 Member
    Mycophilia wrote: »
    This whole "dad bod" thing is great, because it spawned this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQlIPOTbuH8

Epic!!