Question

Mgwhatcott
Mgwhatcott Posts: 1 Member
This a question that my mom has (she's not that technology efficient so I have posted the question for her.)
My mom is 4'11 and 110 pounds and she wants to lose 5 pounds and she posted that she wanted to lose 1 pound a week because that was what was recommended. The problem she has though is that it says she can only eat 1200 calories we both feel that might be too little of calorie intake. My mother has always eaten a lot and exercise a normal amount and was only overweight at one point in her life in her early adulthood. I don't think 105 pounds is unattainable for her, I mean my grandmother is 106 pound and she's 5'0 so it's not unrealistic persay but isn't 1'200 calories too little, I'm sure my grandmother and mother eat way more than that even if they both exercise.

Replies

• markattfield1
    markattfield1 Posts: 1 Member
    I personally dont think 1200 is too little, I am eating around 1500 but as long as you get the right amount of nutriants, vitimins and minerals its fine. Eat 5-6 times a day and make sure she eats less carbs and more protein keeping the good fats high. Exercise a little more on the cardio and she should see at least a 1-2 lb loss a week.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Your mum isn't tall and being older likely means her bmr is lower... 1200 isnt unrealistic imo.

If she's active then she can likely add to her intake..

Eating 5-6 meals isn't necessary unless this is how she likes to eat!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    If you don't like 1200 aim higher and get a slower rate of loss. It's not like she has a lot to lose.
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    I would think half a pound a week would be more reasonable for someone only trying to lose 5 lbs.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    With a low starting weight and only 5lbs to lose, 0.5lb per week is a reasonable goal. It will give her a slightly higher calorie goal which may be easier to adhere to.

However, she will have to be very accurate with weighing and measuring as a 1/2lb goal does not leave much room for error.