WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2015

Replies

• RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Happy Birthday Renny,I'll be following you tomorrow girlfriend
    Happy birthday to you too, sweet Alison!
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Meg in Omaha, I drove through your city four times this month! We took two week long trips of my sons in Boulder Colorado.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,904 Member
    edited June 2015
    smiley-happy026.gifMy project for today was to clean out my cookbook/recipe shelf. What little real cooking I do is either from my faithful recipe box or I go to Google and ask for a recipe. Jake wanted to keep a few of his newer cookbooks. I kept my mother's old cookbook from 1943 (sentiment) and two that she gave me as gifts (more sentiment). When I went through the recipe folders I couldn't believe how many different diets I accumulated over the years and yet I would have told you that I hadn't really tried that many diets. I threw away all the diets and all but about three of the recipes and freed a lot of space on the shelf. I posted three cookbooks on Paperbackswap and already got a request for one of them.

smiley-happy026.gifMy all day adventure with my friend yesterday went well....24.000 steps, two ferry rides, and an hour exploring at Deception Pass. The only food I ate from the bbq potluck was the salad I brought....I supplemented with the snacks I brought from home.

ov24gkdh4ky8.jpg
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,101 Member
    Allison - Happy Birthday! Have a great time celebrating!

Mary from Minnesota
  • Charm4u76132
    Charm4u76132 Posts: 94 Member
    Happy Birthday, Allison!

Beautiful lake picture, Barbie.

Completed 2 goals today: Walked 75 minutes to make up from last week. Totally remade my bed. No more sleeping on loose, fumbled up sheets. Yay! Took 2 Advil gel caps, hitting the shower and going to bed.

Good night, All. - Nancy and Aubrey yorkie in FW, TX
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    @Barbie - sounds like a fun time, and you did so well with your food choices. Way to go!! The pic is gorgeous. I love seeing all the pictures the group is posting.
  • janetr7476
    Annr wrote: »
    My family and I wanted to have pizza tonight, so we went to the grocery store and bought frozen ones, saved a ton of money. I had a coupon for Newman's Own thin and crispy pizza. I allotted myself 1/6 of the pizza...(one slice) and I bought olives and sliced 4 olives on it. How is THAT for being positively OCD!! Of course, I am still hungry, so that is why I am typing to you all....Aaack!

Ahhh, how I love pizza, I could eat it every night. I get way to full so I pull off the toppings an throw away the crusts.
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    Today at work: gay marriage.

Almost 4000 steps at the mirror and showering and washing my hair. Got to 10k walking into Rouse's to pick up supper.
    Had a 4-oz slab of smoked pork loin, which I put into a Damascus Bakeries wrap with a handful of leafy greens, plus .22 lb of emerald sesame kale. One of more filling suppers I've had lately. I left nearly all my exercise calories on the table.

I stopped Saturday night halfway through page 85 of this thread. I'm gonna go backward from the end tonight since there's no way I can finish the last 8 1/2 pages.

Becca - looks like you had some extra calories. Coulda had a slice or two more. :) Hats off to your self-discipline. I'm impressed. AND not going nuts on chocolate! Wow! You go, girl!

Nancy in FtWTX -
    Glad your energy is back! Impressed that you're making up the exercise - I'd be content just to be making my daily again.
    Best of luck on that last pesky 1.5 lbs. But, even if it takes longer than you want to get there, how great to be so close!
    And 9 lbs in a month!
    Well done at work. Maybe you could ask the guy to let you watch the next time he collects data for that form, so you can get oriented?
    As for your unpacking &c ... I'm too embarrassed even to describe my house. <sigh>

Sylvia - sounds like a great weekend with the kids. Sorry about your neighbors leaving.

DrKatie - :-D For the iPad victory.
    And for the June 29 mileage!

Vicki - the mystery ride and other doings sounds like fun! Sorry about your friend's husband. I know your friend will appreciate your presence.
    Hope you're feeling less funky.

Lesley - when does the grocery account get refilled? Sounds like other items going well..

Lenora - <<waves of sympathy>> Wish I had constructive suggestions.

persistent - welcome! What sorts of food limitations do you have?

Sue in WA - Hope the heat subsides.
    To change time zones, go to the top right corner of the dashboard page, above the tiles.
    You should see a little gear for settings. Click on it. At the bottom of that page there's an edit box for time zone.

Jane - cheers for your mom's normal heart rate and bp.

Mia - way to go on cleaning those rooms, and on keeping the rest of the place tidy. That's something I vow to do each time I clean up. <sigh>
    You're welcome for the author recommendations. I'm a book pusher. ;) Do let me know what you think. I won't be upset if you're not enamored; everyone has different tastes. But I do love book talk.

JanetR - what a great compliment from the water aerobics instructor!
    <eyeroll> at the reporter who wanted you to sound authoritative about something you hadn't seen.

Cheri - Excellent learning - both about the fitbit and your son's status. :)

KateKyi - good on you, calling back and getting the supervisor.
    Lovely dragon tat. If you did two and felt like selling the second, what would you want to charge?

Yvonne in TX - congrats on staying active,
    resisting the urge for boredom/loneliness eating, and getting yourself out among strangers by yourself. Way to go!

MNMargaret - that *is* a very cool mounting for your father's DFC.

Renny - Happy 64th!

Terri - You're right, 20 pounds in 1 month wouldn't be health. Good on you for sticking to a reasonable plan.

Miriam - does a local TV station have an "on your side" program segment where the anchor helps someone deal with bureaucracy?

Heather - sounds like you've done excellently well! I'd love to get to England someday, and the Tate was already one of the places I wanted to go. Will they let you in dressed informally? Everyone seems to be in suits.

Tere - glad you're feeling better. <hugs>
    And thanks!
    boniest. :)

barbiecat - ccongrats on clearing thecookbook shelf. i have real trouble throwing out book, and enjoy reading cookbooks eeven when not using them.
    And well done on the rest of the day!

Allison - happy birthday!

now just checkng 85.5-91 for notes directly to me, thanks to the magic of control-f.

DJanet - I'm grinning at your description of your old lady tatas.

DJanet and Mary from MN -
    I don't have much in the backpack - it's mostly a way to carry two water bottles, since even in the morning the temps often around 80, AND humid.

Mary - I can't claim originality for "sucks ditchwater through a soda straw." I stole it from The Man In My Life.

Cynthia - I'm not sure if there's a store in the area with soemone who fits bras. Mostly, they're busy at the checkout and putting stuff bakc on the racks.

yanniejannie - thanks! And good to know that epinephrine = adrenaline.

Good night, ladies

JanetM inNO, Placid, Quiet and Really Sleepy
    (feel free to ignore everything after the M when replying. <g>)
  • gawworthington
    gawworthington Posts: 1,131 Member
    I too have a house of boxes and storage sheds with more stuff. I married a pack rat and I have a pack rat gene too. I need to improve our basement. It does not help that my dd and ds came back from college with more stuff and a DSS who left stuff when he moved to LA. I also collect decorating stuff from the 3-5 organizations I am or have been in charge over the last 10 years.
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Janet, didn't think about a local station. My son, my sister and her family- all who live in Boulder- and I are not tv watchers. I will look in to it. Thanks for the idea.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Miriam, it breaks my heart to read that some one who at one time professes his love for you can then be so evil to you. I have the largest house of all 4 of my family that lives here in this city. So when Mom passed away in 2011, guess where all the stuff went to. It has now gone to all the houses it was meant to. Oh, the pictures Mom had. Sadly I still have a box of them. Last year at Christmas which is the only time the whole family was together, I tried to get the family to go through them to see if some one wanted them. But no go. So I did go through some of them, took what I knew I still wanted and then just closed my eyes and put some in the trash can and then had DH immediately dump the trash. I do have a friend that takes ALL pictures, scans them into her computer and puts them on their respective thumb drive. The the thumb drives get organized. I hope you have all of the emails you have sent to the city so you can print them out.

Lenora, praying you feel better and get your diet straightened out. Sometimes you need to go back to the drawing board and rethink everything. Vent away all you want. That is what we are here for. Somehow some one comes around with a big broom and sweeps them in a corner.

Mia, congrats on confessing. It takes a lot to do that. Frustration can sometimes be what makes us finally confess. Good for you in getting a couple of rooms tackled. I am afraid if I sat in a room with Mom and Dad's things, I would just read away or juft let my mind and fingers linger over all the momentos. I would say to your friend that first of all she needs to find out who she is. It sounds like her husband defined that for her for 26 years. You made me very curious as to who I was referring to with the clock. It was a Mia, just not you. It was Mialto2722, back on page 89.

Penny, thanks for giving me credit for understanding that my husband's grouchiness was due to all the physical problems he is going through. But it was my youngest daughter who told that to me. I am fortunate to have wise children!!!

Heather, I am still waiting for the new Grand Budapest hotel to come out. HBO had the original one a couple of weeks ago so I have it on the DVR, I will watch it right before I am rady to go see the new one. Although I will probably have to wait for the new one to come out on DVD form since my husband has no wish to see it.

Nancy, your house sounds just like mine minus the packing boxes. I have lived here since 1978! It's just a mess. I am just a bad housekeeper. With the kids coming in on Friday, I need to clean off my 'couch office'. It is the 2nd and sometimes 3rd cushions on my couch. My poor cat now has to go over and sit on the love seat with DH. Of course she likes his belly rubs better than mine anyway.

MNMargaret. 2 years ago on Veterans Day when everyone was writing memorial to their Dad's or Grandpa's on Face Book, my niece, sister's daughter they are both no it alls, wrote that since my Dad was a minister he was against the war but was drafted anyway so he did serve. I about blew my top! My Father was probably the first in line to volunteer! He wanted to be a pilot so that he could fly the fighter planes but was color blind so they had him in Guam repairing them as fast as they came in. He proudly served and was one of the most patriotic men ever.

Just wanted to say I am so tickled to see Lesley's frequent posts. It is so good to have you back.

Well today I went out in search of a birthday gift for Trinity, oldest grand daughter. Her Mom told me she loved maxi dresses and they are enough in style I knew I would have no problems finding them. So I went to her favorite store and they had a lot to choose from. But almost all are spaghetti straps. I just don't like that for a 14 year old girl. She will have to wear a strapless bra. But the straps are adjustable so she will be well covered in front. So I b ought a sleeveless denim jacket to go over it and it looks real cute.Then the girl helping me said they were on sale, buy one regular price, buy one for $7. I couldn't resist so I found another. This one was a cling fabric but at 5'5" and a size 1 you can handle clingy fabric! It has a regular bodice so no spaghetti straps and the back was a creamy crochet. But it's crochet all the way to the waist line. So I guess the back of the bra will have to show. I think she has a shrug that can go with it also. The jacket's color wouldn't go with it. My sister and I will go out tomorrow and I will help her find something in the $10 range. Her husband would rather it be less than that! She likes chuncky necklaces so I am sure we can find one at a thrift shop. I did walk past Christopher and Banks twice without going in !!!! That was a miracle among miracles.

Nite, nite, Joyce, Indiana

• dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    This time I am going to post before my head hits the screen.

Pip - The poem for Kirby was great. I felt you bared your soul and let the love shine through.

Janet - Did you give up a chance to be a celebrity ? You put your family first , I like ths

Nancy - I felt sick to my stomach just reading about your ordeal. I am so glad that you are well out of that situation.

Mia - one of my goals this year is to get 3 rooms de-cluttered. Hopefully I can follow your example.

MNMargaret - That is such a treasure to have your Father ' s medal. The medal is displayed very well.

Renny and Alison - Happiest birthday to both of you.

Haven't been keeping up very well , please for give me?
    Spent this morning with my flowers and loved every minute of it. So good for the soul.
    DS cooked supper tonight. It was a good attempt but the spicy fried rice was not a success. It was nice to have someone else cook and cleanup.
    Had an epic water fight with the DGC the other night. I think it was really good exercise no to mention so much fun ? Making memories?
    For those that have been watching DS 's challenges there is good news - DVD stays in Alberta
    Turns out I have severe to extreme gastrits. I am considering an elimination diet?
    Going to counseling on Canada day , hopefully not alone. Apparently I am a "douche bag". He thinks we are fine.

Good night and good living to you , my friends.

- Sharon in Alberta hoping this light show turns into rain
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,678 Member
    morning ladies~
    well I was awake at 1:45 and got up with the DH..
    Last night was not a good night, got the lab results back.. then looked them up and talked with one of my good friends who is a nurse who works at Davita..
    from what she tells me and I will see my kidney dr in 3 weeks, is i am approaching end stage renal disease.. now you can live years with that, but also have to have either a kidney transplant or dyialisis.(sp) so that is just swell isn't ? what a wonderful birthday present :#
    told the DH after we went to bed, and the first thing out of his mouth..not gee I am sorry we will get through this together, dont worry... nope he said maybe we should get divorced so you can go on state insurance....
    Isn't that romantic?
    Until I talk to the Dr, nothing can be done but reading alot from the Davita website...
    today will be killer at work, and I have to go in 45 min early and work until 6..
    will go over early to my friends house and water her plants before I go to work, will go down and see DFIL tomorrow. he isn't happy that I will be gone for 4 days but told him #2 will be down every day..(DH)
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Alison: first of all, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! You deserve a great day and I hope there are a few good moments in there.
    I'm so sorry about your diagnosis. When is your dr appt? I hope you get good information then.

Thinking of everyone, even if I don't mention you specifically.

Cynthia :flowerforyou:
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Renny :) Happy Birthday!!!

Alison :) Happy Birthday!!! Sorry to hear about your lab results, and even sorrier to hear about what your DH (D does NOT stand for dear or darling :mad:) said to you!

Wishing everyone a wonderful happy healthy day!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in NC
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited June 2015
    Alison, from what I've read in your posts, I get the impression that your husband is just plain mean! >:)
    Nobody should have to put up with that! ((hugs))
  • KateKyi
    KateKyi Posts: 106 Member
    edited June 2015
    Morning Ladies,
    Happy Tuesday to everyone.
    Last day of June weigh-in day tomorrow. I know I probably havent lost much weight this month, too many bad days, Ill be happy if its only 2 pounds. I am feeling stronger and healthier and thats what is most important to me right now.
    There was a bike ride I could have gone on today but I had an 11 o'clock appointment so did not go. Sadly its now 11.55 and the appointment has not rung nor showed up. I will not stress over this (ok maybe I will a little)

@megblair1 I love tatting, I have only recently taught myself how to tat. The anti stress thing is about slowing my mind down. I think tatting does this because I have to count the stitches, the 1,2,3,4 picot,1,2,3,4,picot gets rhythmic and I calm down. I am however an expert in undoing tatting because I am too busy slowing my brain down I mis read the patterns lol. But I dont mind undoing if it means Im less stressed.
    @JanetM The dragon is a free online pattern. See my message (should be in your In box). The one thing about me is however stressed I am, I am also stubborn(must be the taurean in me), once I set my mind to a task I dont let go until its resolved. Hence the phone call back yesterday
    Kate
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,101 Member
    Good morning ladies! For sure we are not closing on Thursday. It has already been set back to Friday. We don't even know if that will happen. Now it is just a waiting game. That's okay, it just gives me a little more time to finish packing and cleaning. We are going to ask the owner of the house we are buying if we could rent until we close.

Have a great day everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • janetr7476
    @JanetMin NO - how do you track steps in the shower, will the waterproof Fitbit work in the shower, if so, will it work for water aerobics?

Janetr OKC
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    I feel for you Mary! I've never bought property in the US so I'm not at all familiar with the procedures. When we sold my in-laws' summer home and our own apartment in Sweden before moving to Norway it was incredibly stressful.
    /Penny