Anyone have weight loss success and NOT limit their fruit intake?

Options
13»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    This anti fruit thing is so depressing. I blame Lustig.

It's generally recommended by nutrition types that the average American (I get you may not be American) increase fruit, not decrease, as there doesn't actually seem to be an epidemic of people eating crazy amounts of fruit. Beyond that, of course, what matters is your overall calories.

I lost a lot of weight eating 1-2 servings of fruit in the winter (which isn't particularly high) and more, probably 2-3 servings on average, in the warmer months (I tend to prefer local fruits in season).
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    I note you didn't say anything about tracking overall calories...just that you're eating "healthy"

If you eat so much fruit, that it causes you to eat more calories than you burn, then yes, it will be counterproductive to weight loss. The articles you referenced may be trying to point this out (albeit in a very non-specific way). In at least one well-known national weight loss program (cough...Weight Watchers...cough), they don't count a lot of fruits against your daily point allowance, so you could easily go over your daily allowance by eating too much fruit.

That said, as long as you're accounting for the calories they contain against your daily goals, there's nothing wrong with consuming 'a lot' of fruit.

This.
  • BicepsAndBows
    BicepsAndBows Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I've lost weight and still eat fruit whenever I want. As long as you stay within your calorie limits for the day and burn off more calories than you take in, you will lose weight, regardless of your fruit intake. Also, fruit is actually a good option because you also get water and fiber when you consume it in it's fresh, raw form :)
  • amillenium
    amillenium Posts: 281 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    ahamm002 wrote: »
    I love blueberries too. A entire pint of blueberries is only about 230 calories with about 10 grams of fiber. So if you're going to binge on something . . .

I know they are good for you but I can sit down and finish a pint, no problem! Better than chips or candy but it is possible to over do it and gain lbs on fruit. I did.
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I think the only people who need to be conscious of fruit intake are diabetics. Otherwise just eat to maintain your desired deficit. Fruit is amazing, full of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, the list goes on. Enjoy your fruit during the day, it's nature's dessert.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    As long as it's within your calories, eat as much fruit as you like.
  • Erida_Zgjana
    Erida_Zgjana Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    2 fruits a day r OK but be careful because even fruits contain sugar.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with fruit? I blame Lustig too.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    2 fruits a day r OK but be careful because even fruits contain sugar.

I don't care! The other benefits of fruit far outweigh their sugar content..

• AZnewbie00
    AZnewbie00 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the advice
  • Debarella
    Debarella Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Mid morning I have a green smoothie I make in the morning before work.

1.5c spiniach 3/4 c coconut water 1 apple 1 c fresh fruit 1 c frozen fruit toss in Vitamix yum 3 +servings fruit

curbs my sweet tooth that craves candy doughnuts & cakes good fiber extra energy still losing weight
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    you can eat fruit and lose weight
    but some people might argue that if you are getting something sweet your brain might continue craving sweets so it's important to be careful not to binge
    sugar, salt and fats were not plentiful all the time and our brains might be hardwired to crave them when available.
    it's one theory I've heard.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Fruit doesn't make you gain weight. Fruit doesn't prevent weight loss.
    Chocolate doesn't make you gain weight. Chocolate doesn't prevent weight loss.
    Celery doesn't make you gain weight. Celery doesn't prevent weight loss.
    Triple cream brie cheese doesn't make you gain weight. Triple cream brie cheese doesn't prevent weight loss.

Excess calories make you gain weight. Excess calories prevent weight loss. It doesn't matter if you eat all fruit or all red meat or all celery: if you eat more calories than your body needs/you burn in a day, you gain weight over time. It takes way more celery sticks to do that than it takes wedges of triple cream brie, but a calorie is a calorie in terms of weight loss. If you want to eat a 100 calorie sweet but instead go for a 100 calorie piece of fruit, you might find your hunger is appeased more. In terms of weight loss, all else the same, it makes no difference which you go for. If you binge on fruit because you're chasing the sweetness of a single lolly, you might be better off with the lolly.
  • idoknowannie
    idoknowannie Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Not true darling I eat loads of fruit like big ol oranges bananas nectarines so sweet peaches veggies and everything and I'm still losing unintentionally so keep on raw fruit and vegging
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,489 Member
    Options
    I've been eating much more fruit since I started using MFP. Just yesterday ate plums, watermelon, and strawberries. 25lbs lost in 3 months.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,489 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    ahamm002 wrote: »
    I love blueberries too. A entire pint of blueberries is only about 230 calories with about 10 grams of fiber. So if you're going to binge on something . . .

For me, a pint of blueberries mixed with vanilla Greek yogurt is pure bliss.

• harpsdesire
    harpsdesire Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I eat fruit daily and am losing weight.