Recomposition: Maintaining weight while losing fat

Options

Replies

• steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    @heybales mentions something important. TDEE is subject to change, I like to call TDEE a moving target based on changes in NEAT or EAT. That's why having a weight range is important. If you you become a little less active of course your calorie needs will change, etc..

Wanted to provide some personal observations on this; I've used a TDEE spreadsheet I found linked the r/fitness wiki since mid July of last year. It calculates TDEE on a weekly average basis of weight fluctuations and calorie counting. I'm meticulous about my logging/weighing food and weighing myself every morning. Over the 38 consecutive weeks I've been using this sheet my TDEE has ranged 2240-2550 calories. However, a five-data-point, centered, moving average stays very consistent at 2400, +/- 45 cal.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    @heybales mentions something important. TDEE is subject to change, I like to call TDEE a moving target based on changes in NEAT or EAT. That's why having a weight range is important. If you you become a little less active of course your calorie needs will change, etc..

Wanted to provide some personal observations on this; I've used a TDEE spreadsheet I found linked the r/fitness wiki since mid July of last year. It calculates TDEE on a weekly average basis of weight fluctuations and calorie counting. I'm meticulous about my logging/weighing food and weighing myself every morning. Over the 38 consecutive weeks I've been using this sheet my TDEE has ranged 2240-2550 calories. However, a five-data-point, centered, moving average stays very consistent at 2400, +/- 45 cal.

Are you a moderate and/or very consistent exerciser?
    My exercise is enormously varied so my daily TDEE range is c. 2200 - 6500 (that's exceptional for me by the way!).
    My weekly average TDEE also varies a lot by the season, to allow for that I probably have a wider weight range over the course of a year then most people too.
  • andreascjonsson
    andreascjonsson Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if im at a good place to start recomping? Ive lost 19 kg and am currently at 66kg at 173 cm. 3 people in real life have said i shouldnt lose more weight so that is what made me think about going into recomp instead. What do you think?10vq8odkfy6y.jpg
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if im at a good place to start recomping? Ive lost 19 kg and am currently at 66kg at 173 cm. 3 people in real life have said i shouldnt lose more weight so that is what made me think about going into recomp instead. What do you think?10vq8odkfy6y.jpg

Now is good. You look great. Eat and train!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options

Congrats on the 19kg loss! A second vote for recomp! :+1:
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    Options

Yes! You look good, congrats!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I think I’ve made the decision to start eating at maintenance. I do have a bit of fat that I want to go away but I’m at a healthy weight and look pretty ok how I am now in my opinion, plus I’ve been having a hard time staying within my calorie goal lately for whatever reason. I will just get over the fact that my belly fat will probably stick around for a while longer lol.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I think I’ve made the decision to start eating at maintenance. I do have a bit of fat that I want to go away but I’m at a healthy weight and look pretty ok how I am now in my opinion, plus I’ve been having a hard time staying within my calorie goal lately for whatever reason. I will just get over the fact that my belly fat will probably stick around for a while longer lol.

I've been doing the same. I just can't cut. My body has changed drastically at maintenance though.
  • Katzedernacht
    Katzedernacht Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry I did not read EVERY reply cos it's a lot, I have been re-comp since January, in that time I've lost 6 lbs, it may feel slow to some people but the deficit is super easy for me to maintain, since it's only 300 - calories from maintenance, I work out from Monday to Friday, sometimes on Saturday, weight lifting, steady cardio and some HIIT plus walking around, so I love, love recomp and I recommend it to anyone who wants to try it and has not a mad hurry.

Plus, the weight comes off "slow" but what is left is looking good, I think I'll be at my goal in 2 more months
  • lolothedragon
    lolothedragon Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I was hoping for some advice about whether or not I'm in a good place to try a recomp instead of losing. I'm currently at 137 lbs and 5 ft 4 in tall. I'm 28 years old. I was planning on trying to get down to 125 or so, but after doing some research I'm wondering if I should just go the recomp route. I've recently started the strong curves program and either do pilates or circuit style training on the other days. (If anyone happens to peak at my diary, I've sick with the flu this week so that's why the logging is sparse)
    5jcn6131azr8.jpeg
    ao1ly7osxaun.jpeg
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    hesn92 wrote: »

I've been doing the same. I just can't cut. My body has changed drastically at maintenance though.

I have failed two attempts at cutting this year!
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I was hoping for some advice about whether or not I'm in a good place to try a recomp instead of losing. I'm currently at 137 lbs and 5 ft 4 in tall. I'm 28 years old. I was planning on trying to get down to 125 or so, but after doing some research I'm wondering if I should just go the recomp route. I've recently started the strong curves program and either do pilates or circuit style training on the other days. (If anyone happens to peak at my diary, I've sick with the flu this week so that's why the logging is sparse)

You are at the PERFECT place to recomp!
  • lolothedragon
    lolothedragon Posts: 39 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

You are at the PERFECT place to recomp!

Thanks for responding! I was thinking so. I remember when I was 125lbs my body didn't look that different, especially my stomach and I got frustrated. It can't hurt to try and getting to eat a little more would be a huge plus.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    5jcn6131azr8.jpeg
    ao1ly7osxaun.jpeg

I think you are! You look good
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    mg]

@lolothedragon

I think you are in a great place to recomp.
    To me you look to be a good weight with just some fine tuning to do if you wish.
    (Almost flat stomach to perfectly flat stomach perhaps?)

I honestly don't know where you would have 12lbs to lose without looking underweight/scrawny so glad you are rethinking your goal weight.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    5jcn6131azr8.jpeg
    ao1ly7osxaun.jpeg

Another vote for recomp. Strong curves is a good program, I hope you enjoy doing it. :smile:
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Wow, @Hamsibian congrats on your gain <3
    Welcome to the recomp thread.

Cheers, h.