Myfitnesspal

Message Boards Goal: Maintaining Weight
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Recomposition: Maintaining weight while losing fat

1119120121122123125»

Replies

• Speakeasy76Speakeasy76 Member Posts: 805 Member Member Posts: 805 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    No sure how many watch Bret Contreras, but this is a great video.

Thanks for posting! I'd heard about this today since I'm a BBB member, but hadn't gotten the chance to watch it yet.
  • ExpressoLove11ExpressoLove11 Member Posts: 328 Member Member Posts: 328 Member
    @psuLemon Thanks so much for posting! I have been at a bit of a crossroads with my training and nutrition and that has really helped give me a sense of direction.
  • SuzanneC1l9zzSuzanneC1l9zz Member Posts: 185 Member Member Posts: 185 Member
    No sure how many watch Bret Contreras, but this is a great video.

Awesome, thank you. At this point I'm kind of tentatively wandering through some of the recommended resources, feeling a bit intimidated and trying not to overwhelm myself. And lifting some heavy-to-me stuff while doing so.
  • psuLemonpsuLemon Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium Posts: 37,669 MFP Moderator Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium Posts: 37,669 MFP Moderator
    Not problem. I love his videos. I started following him to help my wife, but i find it overall content very good.
  • steveko89steveko89 Member Posts: 2,113 Member Member Posts: 2,113 Member
    Not problem. I love his videos. I started following him to help my wife, but i find it overall content very good.

Thanks for the post, similarly started following him to advise the Mrs. but had never watched a video with him... he sounds like Norm McDonald, which I wasn't expecting.
  • carlolocicerocarlolocicero Member Posts: 1 Member Member Posts: 1 Member
    question, in recomp should you be replacing calories burned after work outs or just stay at slightly under maintenance. newbie
  • heybalesheybales Member Posts: 19,178 Member Member Posts: 19,178 Member
    question, in recomp should you be replacing calories burned after work outs or just stay at slightly under maintenance. newbie

Recomp means eating at maintenance. No weight change.

Maintenance is what you burn in total.

Is exercise calorie burn part of what you burn in total?
    (considering how much could be burned in workouts since you had no comment of what those workouts are - it could be very far from "slightly under" effect)

Suggest reading the post right before yours, and watching the video - you missed a very good post.
    And then reading the first 3 pages should get the idea across enough. Not sure how many posts that is, but call it 20.
    So question: can I realistically get anywhere in terms of recomp sticking to light weights? I get that it'll take longer, but is it even possible? As of today there's a cap on how much I'm allowed to lift, for medical reasons. It's not much, and it's permanent. I was kind of expecting it but I'm still disappointed.
  • heybalesheybales Member Posts: 19,178 Member Member Posts: 19,178 Member
    So question: can I realistically get anywhere in terms of recomp sticking to light weights? I get that it'll take longer, but is it even possible? As of today there's a cap on how much I'm allowed to lift, for medical reasons. It's not much, and it's permanent. I was kind of expecting it but I'm still disappointed.

If it presents an overload situation to your muscles such they need to grow to handle the increased load - yes.

If by lite weights you mean it's easy for you - no, that's not overload.

Lite weights taken too many reps turns into almost cardio - so not the right kind of overload.
    I think I saw up to 25 reps in a couple studies could be overload to a person, likely need a few sets and few times weekly to be meaningful - and at the end of the sets it still must be presenting an overload.

If you hit 25 after 5th set and feel like that was easy and I could do more, well, you know the answer now.

There is of course the gymnast effect - do enough daily you'll get some growth - but that's hours.
    Makes sense. Thanks!