CALLING VEGETARIANS - PROTEIN IDEAS

2»

Replies

• vegannlg
    vegannlg Posts: 170 Member
    Ditto this^^^ I am ovo-vegetarian, no dairy. My carbs are often way over what I am aiming for.
  • fishcat123
    fishcat123 Posts: 74 Member
    I'm not vegetarian but eat meat rarely (usually only "socially" - when someone else cooks it) and for environmental reasons, don't want to eat more. I'm also struggling with getting more than 30 grams of protein a day while eating 1200 calories a day.

I'm trying to get more room for protein by cutting out other food that is high in carbs and fats to eat more beans, cheese, etc. I find that on 1200 if I spend my calories on something not nutrient/protein dense but still try to eat under my limit I end up hungry and exhausted and that at 1200 I really need to spend my calories wisely to feel good...sigh
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    fishcat123 wrote: »
    I'm not vegetarian but eat meat rarely (usually only "socially" - when someone else cooks it) and for environmental reasons, don't want to eat more. I'm also struggling with getting more than 30 grams of protein a day while eating 1200 calories a day.

I'm trying to get more room for protein by cutting out other food that is high in carbs and fats to eat more beans, cheese, etc. I find that on 1200 if I spend my calories on something not nutrient/protein dense but still try to eat under my limit I end up hungry and exhausted and that at 1200 I really need to spend my calories wisely to feel good...sigh

I'm there with you, I limit my calories to 1200 and eat back 75 to 80% of calories burned on workout days. Weekly average I'm eating 1400 calories per day. I'm a reformed vegan and still only eat meat occasionally, I also for environmental and health reasons. I'll make a whole chicken and eat on it for a few days with the hubs and then won't eat meat again for days or maybe a week, back and forth. Do you eat eggs? I still eat at least 2 eggs a day, thats about 14g there for 140 calories and keeps you full for hours. Focus on your legumes and lean diary if you do dairy. I believe yogurt to be very healthy as along as its quality. I don't do much, but another great source as most greek yogurts are 14 to 20 grams of protein per serving and around 170 to 200 calories. That's over 30 grams there. However if you upped your protein you'd liekly be less hungry throughout the day.