did los angeles make you feel ugly???

Replies

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    I've never been there. I do not like crowds.

Los Angeles isn't crowded if you just stay off of the freeways.

Everyone who lives there just sit in their cars on the freeway.

The beaches, bars, stores and restaurants are empty.
  • Motorsheen
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Motorsheen wrote: »

Are you joshin'? In case you aren't, what's the attraction toward LA I wonder.

I loved living there. Los Angeles is essentially many different cities crammed into one area.

I lived in the beach cities and loved the climate and the casual lifestyle.

For Fitness, It Was Great.

Everyday I was either running, cycling or lifting.

There were a lot of open minded people there and for a young, fit professional it was a slugfest with the ladies.

The only problem..... too many people
  • Motorsheen

I loved living there. Los Angeles is essentially many different cities crammed into one area.

There were a lot of open minded people there and for a young, fit professional it was a slugfest with the ladies.

Sounds like it has its good points. I've never been anywhere near the west coast but had a friend who lived in Venice Beach (I don't know if that's LA or not.) She said the cost of living was astronomical and she was being edged out as her rent kept going up and her wages had stagnated. I did Google the cost of apartment rentals there when she told me about that (quite awhile ago) and she was right. The market rents were staggering. I'm sure even moreso today.

Venice Beach?

Yep, that's LA.

When I lived there we called it living small.

I didn't own much of anything. ...
    3 bicycles, a guitar and a surfboard, a chair and an old dresser .... some clothes

I borrowed a mattress from a friend and tossed it on the floor.

My roommate boasted that he could be fully packed and moved out with 30 minutes notice
  • Motorsheen

Too many people. That's what I'm saying.

Yeah, too many people equals too many problems

Inflated Real Estate
    Traffic
    Pollution
    Crime

I bailed after Rodney King failed to follow instructions. ....
  • jenmar222
    jenmar222 Posts: 9,279 Member
    edited December 2016
    Haha It's true. The people I live around in So Cal are more fit, better-styled, and put more time/effort into their appearance than a lot of the country. (Plus a lot of gorgeous people move to So Cal trying to make it in the industry). To be honest, moving to So Cal 4 years ago played a big role in motivating me to lose weight and up my game :joy:

So Cal gets a lot of hate...and there are all types of places/people in LA, so your experience of it will vary depending on where you're at...but the people I've encountered are generally more into taking care of themselves (including their health), more ambitious, and more laid back. It's been good motivation for me.
  • CaliMomTeach
    CaliMomTeach Posts: 745 Member
    Yes, when I lived in the Hermosa/Redondo Beach area in my early 30s it definitely was the land of the beautiful. I think I probably looked pretty good then, but with all the beautiful women around me on a regular basis, I did not feel it. I certainly noticed a difference when I traveled to other places at the time. California is a huge place and most parts are different (more normal bell curve of looks) than in LA. I think LA has more than its fair share of beautiful women.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    it just makes you want to try harder and get there!
  • RoteBook
    RoteBook Posts: 171 Member
    jenmar22 wrote: »
    Haha It's true. The people I live around in So Cal are more fit, better-styled, and put more time/effort into their appearance than a lot of the country. (Plus a lot of gorgeous people move to So Cal trying to make it in the industry). To be honest, moving to So Cal 4 years ago played a big role in motivating me to lose weight and up my game :joy:

So Cal gets a lot of hate...and there are all types of places/people in LA, so your experience of it will vary depending on where you're at...but the people I've encountered are generally more into taking care of themselves (including their health), more ambitious, and more laid back. It's been good motivation for me.

How can people be more ambitious and more laid back at the same time? I'm getting bored of the extremely ambitious people. Not LA, but I live in Silicon Valley where everyone seems to live by the old Accenture motto: work hard, play harder. It's exhausting, and not actually fun.
  • jenmar222
    jenmar222 Posts: 9,279 Member
    edited December 2016
    RoteBook wrote: »
    How can people be more ambitious and more laid back at the same time?

It's a delicate balance that's held together by lot's of sunshine, yoga, skateboarding, and acai bowls :joy:

Because nobody in silicon valley ever gets laid. Nerd problem.

And this. Los Angeles be like

1c7a18e7ad3d6a45a59e89070f5b6ec0fe0cf09a390536a37777d552772d96c3.jpg
  • fox_mnl
    fox_mnl Posts: 7 Member
    xynyth wrote: »
    Don't read beauty magazines they will only make you feel ugly... and wear sunscreen.

Nice. Now that's stuck in my head.

Haha
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    I grew up in the LA area (South Bay). This does not bother me, because my value and worth as a person do not depend on how I look :smile:

Also. There are PLENTY of normal people in the area. You just have to get away from the tourist traps. I highly recommend Redondo, Manhattan & Hermosa. You'll find friends there
  • RoteBook
    RoteBook Posts: 171 Member
    ^

Because nobody in silicon valley ever gets laid. Nerd problem.

I was going to come up with a snarky quip to shut you down, but then my hot nerdy husband distracted me.
  • MrStabbems
    MrStabbems Posts: 3,110 Member
    never been to LA. I'm English so I'm not affected by the "ambition" sickeness
  • Motorsheen
    Shana67 wrote: »
    I grew up in the LA area (South Bay). This does not bother me, because my value and worth as a person do not depend on how I look :smile:

Also. There are PLENTY of normal people in the area. You just have to get away from the tourist traps. I highly recommend Redondo, Manhattan & Hermosa. You'll find friends there

Good Times for sure.

I lived in Hermosa on the strand at 15th (just north of the pier)

.... and later in the tree section of Manhattan Beach.

The Lighthouse in Hermosa should be on a national register of historical places.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited January 2020
    I am from LA and there is a huge emphasis on looks. When I travel anywhere else, I get tons of attention and compliments but there I don’t get noticed much. A lot of guys like fake body parts too, more so than other places.
  • LiftNRiot
    LiftNRiot Posts: 463 Member
    Dont need LA, just a mirror
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    edited January 2020
    i just came back from LA and my self esteem is at rock bottom
    i see why people go crazy living there..... you cant go anywhere without seeing someone who looks like a perfect 10
    and theyre not even a big deal..... just another starving artist trying to get to the top
    say what you want but when most of us see attractive people we go to the drawing board to see how we can better our own looks
    today i got a haircut, laid out to tan, and will not take a rest day from gym for the foreseeable future
    not saying looks are everything but THIS VESSEL WILL LOOK THE BEST THAT IT CAN

I used to live in that area, so no. I am nowhere near a "10" (whatever that is). I am extremely average looking and originate from the Midwest, so I knew then that I stuck out (kinda pale, not thin, etc), BUT... you live there long enough and you'll realize that there aren't a bunch of "10's" running around and no one else. There are a varied multitude of people in LA and most of them are just regular people doing regular people things. Not everyone in LA dresses like they're going to a premier or looks like they just rolled out of a botox clinic.

Most are just regular people. It's a city like any other city, just happens to have Hollywood nearby.
  • Reckoner68
    Reckoner68 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Rofl it would not take an entire city, that's for sure
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Reckoner68 wrote: »
    Rofl it would not take an entire city, that's for sure

For real. Usually it's like.. one person. :(