So I just got back from NYC and....

2»

Replies

• fanoula169
    fanoula169 Posts: 82 Member
    Congrats to your daughter!! I live in NY and There are overweight people everywhere, you don't have to look hard to find them it's just like any other city. I went to college in the city and have friends that live there so it's not to bad to live in but is still a little more expensive then living in the suburbs like I do
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,769 Member
    I spent a decade after college living in Manhattan and do agree with your assessment. People in NYC do walk a lot more than people in most of the rest of the country. I imagine most people in the city get their recommended 10,000 steps in just getting around. I did have a roommate who would take a subway one stop or a hail a cab if she had to go more than six blocks, but I think she was the exception. Sure there are overweight people in the city, but you rarely see anyone morbidly obese...the sort of people you see riding their scooters around Walmart (I live in the suburbs in the South now, so please don't think I am just being some judgmental city slicker). I think there is also a different mentality in NYC, which, like Los Angeles, is a media and fashion capital...so there is more pressure to look a certain way. Plus those who can afford to live in the city tend to be of a higher socioeconomic bracket, and generally well educated. It is often said that America is the one country with fat poor people...whereas the wealthy and educated are more likely to be more health-conscious. When I lived in the city I walked everywhere...and went to the gym after work most days...because...well...bagels. My gym was actually right above a bagel bakery and sometimes the aroma would waft in through the open window of the studio, and after step class (it was the 90s...step was huge) I couldn't resist stopping in for a warm, fresh, everything bagel.

And congratulations to your daughter. That is quite an accomplishment. You must be very proud.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited June 2015
    Congrats to your daughter, you must be so proud! I live in the NYC area and I travelled recently to Tennessee for work, and noticed there were a lot more obese people there. Also the food portions where ever we went were huge. I remember having to take a cab to a local drug store for amenities because you couldn't just walk there without crossing freeways and such. I must say, though, the people in TN were the nicest people I've met in a while. (Also just an observation)
  • YanskaNY
    YanskaNY Posts: 103 Member
    I live on Long Island and work in NYC. I see overweight people on the subway and in downtown Brooklyn where I work every day of my life (and on Long ISland as well). The OP was in NYC for such a short period of time - it didn't really give him a chance to see a true representation of the population, believe me.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Never said there wasn't obese people. Just that there aren't nearly as many as compared to where I live. I did use the term "very few" but that is just in relation to what I usually see. I don't need more than 4 days to see that.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited June 2015
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    Congrats to your daughter, you must be so proud! I live in the NYC area and I travelled recently to Tennessee for work, and noticed there were a lot more obese people there. Also the food portions where ever we went were huge. I remember having to take a cab to a local drug store for amenities because you couldn't just walk there without crossing freeways and such. I must say, though, the people in TN were the nicest people I've met in a while. (Also just an observation)

Compared to NYC, I can imagine. I had a funny experience...we took the Staten Island Ferry to see the Statue of Liberty. When we got off, we decided to go into Staten Island and eat a piece of pizza. On our way in a man was sitting on a bench and let out a violent sneeze. I promptly said "Gesundheit" as I always do, while the girl walking next to me just look at him and said "Gross!". lol. She looked at me and said "you must not be from around here".

ETA: I don't think NYC people are rude. It's just different I think. When you see as many people per day as they do, I can't imagine being polite all the time.