I get bulky from weights...

1101112131416»

Replies

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    I'm all for functional fitness.

There's been many times in my life I've had to lift and carry a heavy object.

There has never been a time in my life that required me to stand on my head.

Standing on my head has not been a requirement in my life, but handstands and back bends are some basic skills that were a basic requirement. I can manage without those skills, but it limits my options.

But, I also lift weights and don't get bulky.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    No
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    So I took some progress pics today (finished stage one of NROL) and I have to say as far as I can tell I'm smaller everywhere. No bulk to be seen (stomach flab yes. But less flab).

Again, I must be doing it wrong. Need more 15 pound weights.
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Has this thread been thrown in here yet?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/884447-do-you-lift-heavy-are-you-bulky?

There's all of us bulky women in clothes... clearly about ready to hulk out of my sweater. Damn you, 5/3/1!
  • kimbtaylor1
    kimbtaylor1 Posts: 210 Member
    I just hope the OP knows that if something isn't working for her to do what is best for her. Everyone can say that women don't get bulky by lifting I know that not to be the case and from what the OP said so does she. Do what it best for you and forget the ones who think they know how your body works because that is the "norm".
    Even if she is actually getting "bulky" it is not "lifting has made me bulky" it is "being a genetic freak has made me bulky."

Interesting comment. To each thier own.......peace.

--Genetic Freak
  • nomorebingesgirl2014
    nomorebingesgirl2014 Posts: 378 Member
    Bump
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Does this happen to anyone else? I love class/group style workouts. I used to belong to a women's only studio where all we did was body weight (lunges, squats, push ups, boxing) and I looked amazing. Then I bought into this heavy lifting craze and decided to join CrossFit. I loved it! But I got bulky and stalky looking. My clothes fit tighter and I just didn't look as lean or thin. Has this happened to anyone else? I think I may just dump weights and go back to body weight/resistance. Now I'm in between and have no idea what the best workouts are.

I'm short and curvy...maybe that's why?

its always calories in vs calories out. If you were eating the same number of calories between your body wieght class and crossfit, and you truly gained mass, then you must have been burning that much more energy in the body weight class.

perhaps the BW class was longer or more times per week?

in the end (especially if you are not THAT concerned with how much muscle you have) then just do whatever form of exercise you enjoy.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Bump

Why? Do you have a new question that wasn't previously address in this year old thread??
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Bump

Why? Do you have a new question that wasn't previously address in this year old thread??

^^This....

Seeing this thread again sure brought back some memories though.
  • sagordon
    sagordon Posts: 8 Member
    Often, when this happens, calories are too high. I never give myself back calories from exercise. There is too much room for error and WAY too subjective.