2»

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,072 Member
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    red_90 wrote: »
    aggelikik wrote: »
    heyeyeya wrote: »
    There's no point in cooking with olive oil, it loses it's good qualities at a relatively low temperature. [/b]That said, I often use it if it's all I've got in. If you like cooking with a little butter and it's not getting in the way of your goals, carry on! Food is to be enjoyed after all!
    Not true. Not unless you get above smoking point, which should not happen in cooking anyway.
    My trainer/nutritionist told me this too. Olive oil has a relatively low temperature where it starts to create toxins. I'm no scientist so can't quote any studies (but then neither did the person above) so this is hearsay. She told me you could gently fry and egg, but not a steak which needs high heat. She recommended coconut oil - which has lots of health benefits.

Any time the words "nutritionist" and "toxins" appear in the same paragraph, I'm usually quite certain the truth is nowhere to be found.

Also, be suspicious of nutritionist who says "use coconut oil instead of olive oil to cook a steak." That's just wrong. Heat pan very hot. Do not put any oil or other fat in that pan. Place steak directly in pan to sear. Fat melts out of steak. Steak "releases" from pan. Turn. Sear. Reduce heat or place in oven to finish to desire level of doneness.

Obviously, you don't use fats to cook at temperatures that are higher than their smoking points. Don't use expensive EVOO to cook at all, since all the tasty chemicals that give it its wonderful aroma/flavor evaporate at relatively low cooking temperatures (below smoking point), unless you don't go through olive oil fast enough to keep both EVOO and a later-pressing olive oil on hand without their going rancid before you use them.
  • worstcaster
    worstcaster Posts: 217 Member
    I use water to cook my meat a lot. Just a little in the bottom of the pan. The food cooks and will not burn. If you start to run out of water just add a little more at the sink. It's a lot cheaper than oil too.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    red_90 wrote: »
    aggelikik wrote: »
    heyeyeya wrote: »
    There's no point in cooking with olive oil, it loses it's good qualities at a relatively low temperature. [/b]That said, I often use it if it's all I've got in. If you like cooking with a little butter and it's not getting in the way of your goals, carry on! Food is to be enjoyed after all!
    Not true. Not unless you get above smoking point, which should not happen in cooking anyway.
    My trainer/nutritionist told me this too. Olive oil has a relatively low temperature where it starts to create toxins. I'm no scientist so can't quote any studies (but then neither did the person above) so this is hearsay. She told me you could gently fry and egg, but not a steak which needs high heat. She recommended coconut oil - which has lots of health benefits.

Any time the words "nutritionist" and "toxins" appear in the same paragraph, I'm usually quite certain the truth is nowhere to be found.

Also, be suspicious of nutritionist who says "use coconut oil instead of olive oil to cook a steak." That's just wrong. Heat pan very hot. Do not put any oil or other fat in that pan. Place steak directly in pan to sear. Fat melts out of steak. Steak "releases" from pan. Turn. Sear. Reduce heat or place in oven to finish to desire level of doneness.

Obviously, you don't use fats to cook at temperatures that are higher than their smoking points. Don't use expensive EVOO to cook at all, since all the tasty chemicals that give it its wonderful aroma/flavor evaporate at relatively low cooking temperatures (below smoking point), unless you don't go through olive oil fast enough to keep both EVOO and a later-pressing olive oil on hand without their going rancid before you use them.

+1