How often do you weigh yourself?

13»

Replies

• joyousbalance
    joyousbalance Posts: 8 Member
    It is completely an individual thing.

Don't listen to those who are adamant that weighing daily is "bad". Daily weighing keeps me a lot more honest than weighing once a week would. You can weigh yourself daily, weekly, monthly, or whatever else floats your boat.

There is no right or wrong way.

Agreed 100%

Second this. If weighing in daily helps keep you motivated, do that. If you obsess or feel depressed and helpless when you see that number, do it less often. Or never. It's definitely a personal choice.

Personally, I like to weigh myself every morning before I eat or get dressed. I record my daily weight in an Excel spreadsheet, and once a week, I average the last week's weights to see the general pattern of loss and enter the average into MFP. My weight very often stays at the exact same number for a week or more at a time (e.g., 132.2 for 9 days in a row), so little fluctuations generally reflect what I ate or did the day before. I realize this isn't the same for everyone; it's just my personal experience. Those fluctuations generally don't stick around for more than a day, either. Because of the fluctuations, I use the averages to determine whether or not I'm actually losing weight.

Definitely agree its an individual preference. I weigh daily on my Withings scale. It automatically logs it into MFP. It logs it into Libra - an android phone app. It's my most favorite app. It figures out your trend number. Which is what I look at to see if I am losin weight. It keeps % loss, forecasts, graphs. I have 2 1/2 years data in there. It's so neat to see the trends. Again I am the person that is motivated by graphs, charts, numbers. But before I got the scale, I would weigh myself on Saturday mornings only.
  • marcvandenberg
    marcvandenberg Posts: 190 Member
    Every day in the beginning, to see how my cycle is.

Now a bit less.

It;s the long term movement of your weight.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Twice a week, Tuesdays and Fridays.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Only when I go in for my annual physical.
  • blacklaceroses
    blacklaceroses Posts: 48 Member
    Everyday. Very nice reminder for me. I think most have that out of sight mentality and that can cause more trouble personally. my 2 cents.....................
  • Tymeshia
    Tymeshia Posts: 194 Member
    Everyday. It's a habit
  • FarAway02
    FarAway02 Posts: 211

Regular scale weighing isn't ideal.

Out of curiosity, why do you believe that? For me, weighing everyday keeps me on track and I'm sure there are others that feel the same. I'm an educated adult and understand the daily fluctuations that can, and do, happen. What I take away from it is being able to see how my choices have affected me. Just another piece of data used in ensuring healthy choices, balanced with real life scenarios.

1) it's easy to become obsessed (how many of you daily weighers could generally not weigh yourself for a month without struggling? that's not healthy...)
    2) scales are not the most accurate way of telling how healthy you are; they don't (accurately, at least, as some do) tell you your body fat:muscle
    3) weight fluctuates all the time...weighing daily doesn't give you an accurate idea. The cookie you had the evening before will not be what's caused that 1 pound gain you see the next morning
    4) home scales are pretty inaccurate generally. On Friday morning I weighed myself at 8.30am.... I then went back to bed and did nothing til 10.30am when I weighed myself again: 2 pounds heavier. I hadn't done anything, I hadn't eaten anything and I was wearing the same clothes etc etc.

The most accurate way of telling how you're doing is by measurements and progress pictures. And, quite simply, whether your clothes still fit or not ;)
  • LoveLaughSweatFuel
    LoveLaughSweatFuel Posts: 38 Member
    It is about finding what works for you. Might be daily, weekly, biweekly, monthly, yearly. There is no set rule. I, personally, might step on a scale twice a year. Lost 75 lbs and have maintained that for over 3 1/2 years. I know from how my clothing fit. Not by a number on a scale. Now, over the past year, my journey has taken a different route. Muscle up - smaller clothes - more than likely higher number but I don't care nor worry.

FIND WHAT WORKS FOR YOU!
  • Kr1ptonite
    Kr1ptonite Posts: 789 Member
    At least once a week. Monday morning is pretty much my day to get my weight for the week. If im changing my diet and trying a new approach i will weight myself a few time during the week to check progress. I try to weigh myself on a friday as well, as week ends im not as active during the week so it helps me see how my weeks go.
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    First thing every morning, naked, after bathroom visit...........knowledge is power............not weighing was how I got here in the first place...........
  • heartworth9
    heartworth9 Posts: 51 Member
    I weight daily when I am taking care of my body and dont weigh myself when I am spiraling downward. It is better for me to weigh daily, realizing there can be quite a fluctuation with sodium intake, combination of foods. I know that bread and pasta blow me up and when I don't eat them, I shrink. So, lots of variables here.

Deborah