Reducing cholesterol via diet

2»

Replies

• Spreyton22K
    Spreyton22K Posts: 323 Member
    tomatoey wrote: »
    If it does happen to turn out that it's down to eating chicken most of the time (because although I like some fish, I can only handle so much of it), I might just go mostly veggie instead.

(I had roast chicken for lunch, and saved some for dinner - could barely choke that last bit down. And a pro made it :/ )

Well.....don't want to put a dampner on the 'vego' plans, but Smithy's lipid profile went to *kitten* when we went completely vegetarian I don't know if we were 'doing' wrong but it improved when we went back to a more omnivore diet....without him having lost any significant amounts of weight.....

Sorry about the delays between postings too Tomatoey.....I'm in the middle of a bit of a bad patch with a headache so I'm coming and going away from the computer depending on what I can tolerate at the mo'. :s

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Lose weight, move more. For most people, most of the time, that takes care of it.
    I'm at a BMI of 22, but could stand to lose a few pounds.
    Weight loss isn't likely to cause any major improvements. Exercise could definitely help with the risk ratio by raising HDL.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    If it does happen to turn out that it's down to eating chicken most of the time (because although I like some fish, I can only handle so much of it), I might just go mostly veggie instead.

(I had roast chicken for lunch, and saved some for dinner - could barely choke that last bit down. And a pro made it :/ )

Well.....don't want to put a dampner on the 'vego' plans, but Smithy's lipid profile went to *kitten* when we went completely vegetarian I don't know if we were 'doing' wrong but it improved when we went back to a more omnivore diet....without him having lost any significant amounts of weight.....

Sorry about the delays between postings too Tomatoey.....I'm in the middle of a bit of a bad patch with a headache so I'm coming and going away from the computer depending on what I can tolerate at the mo'. :s

Oh gosh, not at all!! Thank you for posting despite a headache!! I hope it improves asap!!!

I don't think I could really go full-on veggie, it's more that I don't think I could handle chicken as a regular sub for my yummy steaks :/ Which as you've shown, may not at all be necessary :)
  • tomatoey
    Exercise will increase your good cholesterol, HDL, which is important in promoting a healthy blood lipid profile.
    senecarr wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Lose weight, move more. For most people, most of the time, that takes care of it.
    I'm at a BMI of 22, but could stand to lose a few pounds.
    Weight loss isn't likely to cause any major improvements. Exercise could definitely help with the risk ratio by raising HDL.

Noted, thank you! I am working towards doing more - am just trying (learning) to be mindful of limits imposed by various joint and tendon problems I've got. I definitely am keen on doing more when/how I can :)
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Furbuster wrote: »
    Hey tomatoey.

I eat mixed nuts daily (I'm dairy free). My cholesterol was tested recently and the good cholesterol was really high and bad cholesterol just 'normal'.

Dr said it was mainly down to my daily nut intake...

Maybe worth a shot :)

I've seen walnuts on the list of foods that increase your good cholesterol.
  • tomatoey
    Orphia wrote: »
    Furbuster wrote: »
    Hey tomatoey.

I eat mixed nuts daily (I'm dairy free). My cholesterol was tested recently and the good cholesterol was really high and bad cholesterol just 'normal'.

Dr said it was mainly down to my daily nut intake...

Maybe worth a shot :)

I've seen walnuts on the list of foods that increase your good cholesterol.

Definitely and happy about that! Walnuts > chicken (but not steak, which may yet be totally fine to eat).
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Regular activity - vigorous activity - and weight loss certainly turned my blood lipid profile, and my slowly rising BP, both around in big way. I eat eggs (two - four times a week), steak (once a week, sometimes more in summer), nuts (virtually daily). Veges and fibre.

The only supplements I take are a high dose omega-3 fish oil capsule and iron (am a blood donor). Maybe the blood-letting is the secret? :smile:

Next check is Sept 3. I'm expecting flying colours given the trend already in place.
  • tomatoey
    edited July 2015
    That's so great, @mwyvr ! Congratulations :)

Regarding protein - if those are the frequencies with which you're having the eggs, steak, and nuts, are you much into the chicken/turkey/fish menu otherwise?

Nice of you to share your blood :)