Think I'm addicted to soda...alternatives, anyone?

13»

Replies

• RLeighP
    RLeighP Posts: 232 Member
    I was a soda/sweet tea addict. I refuse to deal with the caffeine withdrawals and the associated fatigue, so I drink a cup of coffee every morning, and brewed green tea during the day, if I'm craving something other than water. I do like water, a lot of it, but sometimes if I'm wanting something cold that isn't water, I go for flavored sparkling waters, like Dasani. The black cherry is delicious.
  • DanJS1
    DanJS1 Posts: 43 Member
    Tea helped me kick soda for the most part. Add in a bit of milk and/or honey. So many good kinds out there of tea. I reward myself with the odd Diet Coke.
  • Oranje12
    Oranje12 Posts: 2 Member
    Count me as another Coke drinking addict. I would drink atleast 1.5 liters a day all in small increments so I never noticed how much it was adding up. Couldn't go a morning, afternoon or night without one. I decided that drastic times call for drastic measures. So this is what I did... This may sound absolutely ridiculous but it turned out to be kinda silly and fun... I made my roommates host a "coke funeral" for me. We all dressed in black, I said a few words about how coke was always there for me through breakups, layoffs, and all the other hard times in my life as well as being there for me every single day without fail. I took one last sip and poured the rest down the toilet and flushed it away. The entire thing was filmed and we showed it to my nearest and dearest so they could help keep me accountable.

From that point on,, I told everybody what we had done and so I couldn't go near the stuff if anybody was with me because they would remind me that "coke was was dead to me". My roommates made sure I didn't buy or keep any in the house, and my colleagues at work made sure I didn't drink it there either. I know it may be a bit extreme but at the very least, I created a really great memory with my roommates and was able to get over the withdrawal period by drinking water with fresh lemon in it. Occasionally I would opt for a sprite or ginger ale when I needed some fizz but I wasn't addicted to those so it never became an issue.