Thoughts on surgery for weight loss? Gastric by-pass, stapling.

13»

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Had the bypass myself. It is a good thing to take weight loss classes and lose weight before surgery, because we learn the skills that will be required to be successful post-surgery. This includes addressing those habits or hindrances (eating disorders) that might prevent success.

@BitterGrace , bravo for your courageous enterprise towards health and strength. I salute you.

I am a little disappointed that the OP developed some opinions from some show, which very likely had a slant to it. Is WLS a trend? Does anyone consider this surgery without sober consideration?

There was a lovely girl in my weight loss therapy group that was in her twenties and her weight was killing her. She was essentially a shut-in. Just because she is young and hasn't perhaps tried hard "enough" for some folks, I don't think that this surgery should be denied her. Her parents had her on diets since she was quite young, by the way.
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Ultimately the choice is up to the individual... with that said, there are some things to think about first.
    I know several people who have had surgery done for weight loss. A few of them now have more health issues than they had prior to surgery. (Heart problems being a main issue). Yes they look great, but there are risks involved. Get as much info as you can before deciding; pros AND cons.
  • Noodle797
    Noodle797 Posts: 366 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Had the bypass myself. It is a good thing to take weight loss classes and lose weight before surgery, because we learn the skills that will be required to be successful post-surgery. This includes addressing those habits or hindrances (eating disorders) that might prevent success.

@BitterGrace , bravo for your courageous enterprise towards health and strength. I salute you.

I am a little disappointed that the OP developed some opinions from some show, which very likely had a slant to it. Is WLS a trend? Does anyone consider this surgery without sober consideration?

There was a lovely girl in my weight loss therapy group that was in her twenties and her weight was killing her. She was essentially a shut-in. Just because she is young and hasn't perhaps tried hard "enough" for some folks, I don't think that this surgery should be denied her. Her parents had her on diets since she was quite young, by the way.

From what I understand no one can make this decision without sober consideration. At least when insurance is involved you must meet a strict list of criteria to be considered for coverage. My Dr. suggested WLS to me last year. I decided to try to lose weight through diet & exercise after seeing several friends & family members suffer from the terrible after effects of WLS. I also didn't think the risk from the surgery was worth it.

That being said, I have a neighbor who has lost most of her mobility due her extreme obesity. I think the surgery could be a good idea for her because she can't even really exercise at this point. I would think that WLS would help her with the hunger, which I don't care what people say, when you're not used to being hungry it's a sickening feeling with an easy fix. I don't think it's an easy choice at all. There are many, many risks involved and a lot of pain, from what I understand, but for some I think it's kind of a last resort.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    I can only speak for myself. It would not be the right thing for me to do because:
    1. I can and have lost weight using diet and exercise.
    2. I hate surgery more than I hate diet and exercise.
    3. I know people who have side effects of the surgery that are more unpleasant to me than diet and exercise.
    4. I gain great personal satisfaction from losing weight via diet and exercise.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    bbontheb wrote: »
    Thank you for sharing this. I appreciate hearing about it, and learning. WLS is not in my horizon but it's something that I have pondered about if I was unable to stop binge eating (have ocd behaviours/anxiety/compulsive eating).

I put it off for six years until I could lose a few hundred pounds on my own and get my binge eating under control via counseling. You can definitely lose weight without it! Everyone needs the tool that works best for them. Good luck in your journey!
    The majority of surgeons require a psychological evaluation to determine if you have the willpower to do it. They refuse to do the surgery if you cannot control your eating habits.

@BitterGrace thanks for sharing your story.

I'm confused about why the surgery is needed if you've demonstrated you have the ability to lose weight without it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    I think I would try everything else humanly possible before resorting to weight loss surgery.
    From what I've read, it is a major and painful procedure that can have many complications.

The people who think it's an easy quick fix maybe haven't researched it enough, or are getting the rose coloured glasses version from their doctor.

Me trying everything else humanly possible first is my philosophy regarding all surgery :)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I only know one person, an aunt, who has had this done. She lost soe weight before hand or they wouldn't do it. After the procedure she lost a lot of weight and got into the normal weight range, then the weight crept back on. Now she is just as big as she used to be, she just eats less at a time.

You would think it would be cheaper to put people on a medically supervised diet than to do surgey. :(

I'm not a fan.
  • Lizzles4Shizzles
    Lizzles4Shizzles Posts: 122 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    bbontheb wrote: »
    Thank you for sharing this. I appreciate hearing about it, and learning. WLS is not in my horizon but it's something that I have pondered about if I was unable to stop binge eating (have ocd behaviours/anxiety/compulsive eating).

I put it off for six years until I could lose a few hundred pounds on my own and get my binge eating under control via counseling. You can definitely lose weight without it! Everyone needs the tool that works best for them. Good luck in your journey!
    The majority of surgeons require a psychological evaluation to determine if you have the willpower to do it. They refuse to do the surgery if you cannot control your eating habits.

@BitterGrace thanks for sharing your story.

I'm confused about why the surgery is needed if you've demonstrated you have the ability to lose weight without it.

Because obese people lose and gain weight many, many times in their life. Maintenance is part of the issue with many that are morbidly obese.

From her wording, I took it as she lost 300lbs and then got WLS to continue losing weight, not because she gained it all back.
  • BitterGrace
    BitterGrace Posts: 19 Member
    edited July 2015
    Why would you undergo WLS after you lost 300 pounds naturally?

I had several metabolic issues that were not reduced with losing weight on my own. I also have three autoimmune disorders, one of which is arthritic. That combined with morbid obesity is bad, to say the least. I also began to have a lot of issues with weight loss. I wasn't gaining, but it slowed to a crawl, and I was starving all the time at 900-1000 calories. I was starving so badly it was driving me insane. When we raised calories or added exercise it froze for weeks at a time. When I dropped below 1800 calories pre-surgery I would literally go crazy and obsess about food. Now, I have binge eating disorder, so this would then trigger a binge. While not as bad as before my weight loss started, even once every two weeks is defeating and makes you feel full of fail.

Surgery was basically a switch that immediately shut it off... frankly, it was worth that alone. I no longer think about food 24 hours a day. I no longer starve incessantly. I ate 663 calories yesterday and wasn't starving in the least. Weight loss is also far faster and medically monitored - I've lost nearly 22 pounds since June 22nd.

Psychologically, it is very helpful for me to know that I literally can no longer over eat. It's very easy when we have an addiction to justify it. Surgery put a very concrete boundary in my mind that I am extremely grateful for.
  • BitterGrace
    Because obese people lose and gain weight many, many times in their life. Maintenance is part of the issue with many that are morbidly obese.

I have never regained weight. My highest weight was over 700 pounds. I was able to lose those hundreds of pounds with counseling and a very strict low-carb diet.

Maintenance is absolutely an issue for those who are or were morbidly obese. I feel that obesity is a symptom of other issues, and if we do not resolve those issues we will revert back to horrible habits. In my case, severe trauma triggered an addiction and a very bad attitude on my part. Since I started taking care of that I lost 300 pounds, came off disability, and now work 80 hours a week while in grad school.

It is possible to overcome on your own. As for me, I needed mental and behavioral support to help put my addiction into remission, and I have zero problem admitting that.
  • BitterGrace
    edited July 2015
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Me trying everything else humanly possible first is my philosophy regarding all surgery :)

Absolutely 100%! It is definitely not for everyone! And it's quite possible to lose without surgery! Everyone must find out what tools work best for them. A lot of folks do well on the pre-diet and then do not get surgery because they keep the momentum going with good support which is fabulous in my book.

I think if we had more comprehensive behavioral health/nutritional centers and also worked on prevention for people that have eating disorders or signs of food addiction that fewer people would have weight loss surgery. I myself had no idea it was so common, but I literally run into someone wherever I go who has had it. It's uncanny. I figured I was in the minority.

For me, surgery was a last resort after many years of weight loss and contemplation, and nearly a year of discussing it with my PCP doctor while monitoring my diet with a nutritionist.
  • newfutures
    newfutures Posts: 113 Member
    faithyang wrote: »
    I watched a show recently about young people and the increasing acceptance on invasive surgery as a means to lose weight.

I suppose for an extremely morbidly obese person whose life is in mortal danger such a surgery could be argued as a necessity.

Some of the reasons the young, otherwise fairly healthy (meaning they are fat because their own doing) gave were in my opinion, troubling.

Some were like:

"Oh I did try to exercise a couple of times but I felt self-conscious of exercising in front of people with all my fats jiggling"

"Oh I did try to go on a diet and tried every diet, but I was just so SO hungry and kept eating"

"Oh I just didn't want to take so much time to lose weight and to be healthy"

I've heard and read about people who had these surgeries and physically couldn't eat, but still had the cravings and the urge because much of these things are emotional as much as it is physical, and they would blend oreos, junk food, oil, fried chicken and suck it up through a straw to get it in their system just to get pass the physical restriction of their small stomachs! So they still ended up gaining weight!

Everyone is different and I don't think I should judge, but what are your opinions on people taking the "easy way out" to have surgery for a 'quick fix' to the problem, and does the problem actually go away through these methods?

I don't agree with it. I think its a complete lazy copout. It shouldn't even be done. Only 5% of the surgeries are successful long term anyhow. so really its an irresponsible allocation of healthcare funds.
  • BitterGrace
    edited July 2015
    newfutures wrote: »

I don't agree with it. I think its a complete lazy copout. It shouldn't even be done. Only 5% of the surgeries are successful long term anyhow. so really its an irresponsible allocation of healthcare funds.

I'm curious as to what makes it lazy. I see a nutritionist, make meal plans, record and measure everything I eat by volume including tastes/licks/etc of things, exercise an hour a day, and attend counseling once a week. How precisely is that lazy?

You are also grossly misinformed by the statistics. Psychology research is my current trade and I actively do research. I'm curious where you got this 5% from. More like 5-10% of people who diet regain weight in general, not merely surgery-related. Here is a scientific and peer-reviewed example of success rates due to the gastric bypass surgery:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1421028/

"This study of isolated gastric bypass with a 5.5-year follow-up rate of 88.6% revealed a success rate of 93% in obese or morbidly obese patients and 57% in super-obese patients. Isolated gastric bypass compares favorably with biliopancreatic diversion in terms of weight loss, maximum weight loss, weight regain, current body-mass index, and percentage of patients with a body-mass index less than 35 kg/m2."

Given that, the actual treatment failure rate was 43%, which is much lower than traditional dieting's failure rate. Even my anti-surgery former nutritionist admitted that 90% of people who attempt to diet and exercise for weight loss fail. That's a staggering difference in numbers, there, for it being ineffective.
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Why would you undergo WLS after you lost 300 pounds naturally?

I had several metabolic issues that were not reduced with losing weight on my own. I also have three autoimmune disorders, one of which is arthritic. That combined with morbid obesity is bad, to say the least. I also began to have a lot of issues with weight loss. I wasn't gaining, but it slowed to a crawl, and I was starving all the time at 900-1000 calories. I was starving so badly it was driving me insane. When we raised calories or added exercise it froze for weeks at a time. When I dropped below 1800 calories pre-surgery I would literally go crazy and obsess about food. Now, I have binge eating disorder, so this would then trigger a binge. While not as bad as before my weight loss started, even once every two weeks is defeating and makes you feel full of fail.

Surgery was basically a switch that immediately shut it off... frankly, it was worth that alone. I no longer think about food 24 hours a day. I no longer starve incessantly. I ate 663 calories yesterday and wasn't starving in the least. Weight loss is also far faster and medically monitored - I've lost nearly 22 pounds since June 22nd.

Psychologically, it is very helpful for me to know that I literally can no longer over eat. It's very easy when we have an addiction to justify it. Surgery put a very concrete boundary in my mind that I am extremely grateful for.

I have binge eating issues and the incessant non-stop obsess about food if you feel you can't get something. The main issue for me though is that after I had gallbladder surgery I had side effects of severe IBS (but not lose weight because of my intake). There were days I felt like I was going to die. Well, they don't know if it's IBS but alike to some undiagnosed major stomach and bowel issues. I couldn't go anywhere. I couldn't leave the house. I felt so sick I would lay down exhausted from being bathroom sick. Then I was put on a low fodmap diet to try to help, change up some meds I was on that might have contributed and had improvement right away. The key is knowing that I CAN'T or else I will be VERY sick (binge eating) and I don't want to go back to that. Seriously, if there was no danger to me stopping-I don't feel I could stop eating etc. So, I totally understand that the WLS gave you that option. To know inherently you CAN"T do that again (how you were eating) or else "danger" of some sort.
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    newfutures wrote: »

I have a friend who paid for the surgery herself. I don't think you can assume it's "an irresponsible allocation of healthcare funds" when not everyone even lives in the same country on on this page. Also, being morbidly obese most likely means countless appts for medical issues, pain etc anyways so the WLS might be more cost-effective in the long run.