Why do you run?

Replies

• barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    I hate running but i do it why? So I can eat a 8 oz steak rather then a 4 oz steak
  • Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    I don't know why I like to run. Never did much of it in my younger years. Just seems like the older I become, the more I enjoy it. I just put my headphones on, play some music, and just go. Even during this past winter, I was runniing in the snow, slush, ice, mud...you name it. I just can't really explain.
  • ds6099
    ds6099 Posts: 98 Member
    I run cuz I love runners high. A great stress reliever!
  • KenziesFrenzies
    KenziesFrenzies Posts: 1,014 Member
    run-because-i-like-wine.jpg
  • KenziesFrenzies
    KenziesFrenzies Posts: 1,014 Member
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Cause it hurts... but then it feels soooooo good :)

57119690.jpg
  • Allison1385
    Allison1385 Posts: 353 Member
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Cause it hurts... but then it feels soooooo good :)

Lol yes! :)
  • kmarc33
    kmarc33 Posts: 25 Member
    When I turned 47 my secretary (who's a few years older than me, and has been running for many years) said "you need to get in shape, you're doing a 5K with me". This was in September, the 5K she signed us up for is called the Big Chill, in December, and you potentially run in the snow (that first year it was ~40F, so not bad). She also said that if she beats me then I got my butt kicked by an old lady and if I beat her all I did was beat an old lady. OK, it was on. I beat her by 4 minutes (31 vs. 35 minutes). ;-) That was a few years ago (I'm 50, almost 51 now). We just did another 5K together this past weekend at a Balloon Festival. I got a 26, she got a 40. The key point: why do I run? When I hit 49 I had a mental shift from "I need to go for my run" to "I need my run". She told me later that it's when you know when you're a runner, when you need it and it's not a chore.
  • FabianRodriguez94
    FabianRodriguez94 Posts: 221 Member
    To clear my mind.
    To challenge myself.
    To remind myself that I am the healthiest that I have ever been in my life.
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    I run so I can eat. Bacon. Lots and lots of bacon. And training for the zombie apocalypse. But mostly the bacon.
  • Eudoxy
    Eudoxy Posts: 391 Member
    For physical fitness. And I love it and I like to be able to eat.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    I'm addicted to the runners high!
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    I've run for 42 years. One Marathon and many cities worth of experiences. You see things you'd never see in a car. I now have to use a treadmill and for the past 8 years my joints have put up with that (thank the running gods). I recently developed plantar fasciitis so am doing work out DVDs. Not the same!
  • crazycatcuddler
    crazycatcuddler Posts: 8 Member
    I quit smoking a year ago and began to gain 5lbs. Then 10lbs. Then 15lbs. I was then 115 at 5'3—5'4". So I thought I should start running. When I initially started to casually run, it was really sad that I couldn't keep up with my friend who ate bad, did not exercise, and def had a few extra pounds on him (more than a few extra at that). Can't erase 8 years of smoking and lung damage, but I wanted to improve what I did to myself. I began to run and lost the weight. Began to breathe easier. And gained muscle. Now, running has become my new addiction I guess you could say.
  • dawniemate
    dawniemate Posts: 395 Member
    moyer566 wrote: »
    I think I peeked in earlier and as @WhatMeRunning said, reasons change...
    now I think I'm running because I said I couldn't
    and I just ran 25 min this morning and last week I ran 35 min without stopping.
    You rock! I'm converting from big walker to little runner....I can only manage a mile then stop for a couple of minutes then another mile! I hope to not have to stop soon lol..

• ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Because i can

18 months ago i weighed 387lb and walked with a stick but could manage just the length of the room before needing to stop

Im now 219lb and while im a very slow runner i can do it
  • _mr_b
    _mr_b Posts: 301 Member
    I run because I can grab my trainers and go for a 30 min run when I don't have the time to go out on the bike. I'd prefer to be on the bike but when you need that 'fix' you gotta go with whatever option's available.

I'm also doing an olympic duathlon for charity in just over two months, as are a couple of colleagues, as they run marathons for fun I need to get some training in! (hoping to be fast enough on the bike to have a head start on the run but still need to train for it).
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    I run because I worked really hard to get to the point where I can run 3 miles without feeling like I'm going to die. Now I'm afraid I lose that conditioning if I miss even one run, so I keep on running...
  • ElleBelleLiptak
    ElleBelleLiptak Posts: 21 Member
    edited July 2015
    I enjoy running for miles and miles like a wild gazelle and mentally and physically torturing myself. But hey. You get great results ;)
  • homemademama
    homemademama Posts: 199 Member

[/quote] You rock! I'm converting from big walker to little runner....I can only manage a mile then stop for a couple of minutes then another mile! I hope to not have to stop soon lol..

[/quote]

I love this - I'm going to start calling myself a little runner from now on :)
  • Keithy9
    Keithy9 Posts: 12 Member
    Why do we run! Love it, need it, can't stop it, once you start it becomes a way of life.

I am 48 male wife is 47 and we run 5 times a week, approx 35 to 45 miles, recently though started hill runs and insanity. What a difference, we both eat health Monday to Friday and have cheats at weekend,

So the answer to your question exercise is our way of life, furthermore we take it on holiday with us, 'running shoes'

Keith