Why do you run?

Options
123457»

Replies

• nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I run to catch frisbees. As soon as I catch a frisbee I stop running. After I throw it, I run again. Sometimes I run to swat a frisbee out of the air.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    5f506e9c22617b189bc755655cb042db.jpg

8508773706_b4fb11f47f.jpg

• jendiaz9732
    jendiaz9732 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I run because I love that it is peaceful and my time. Especially when it is an oh so breezy day :)
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    $_35.JPG
  • hmrambling
    hmrambling Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Great question. The truth is that I don't love running. Know what I love about running? Finishing. I love the feeling of accomplishment. I love knowing that my body is capable of doing things that my mind will try to convince it that it cannot. I love to prove to myself that I can. In short, I run because I am able. I am capable. And I love finishing.

Things I like about running:
    1. Buying stuff. I like that it gives me a reason to buy shoes. And gear. And treats for running.
    2. I can do it alone. I don't need teammates in order to run.
    3. I can do it with others. I like the camaraderie of running with other people. I like meeting other runners.
    4. It's not an expensive sport/exercise.
    5. It's a great time for reflection, planning, and solitude (see #2).
    6. I can challenge myself by running longer distances and quicker times.
    7. It's a physical, mental, and spiritual challenge.

One of the things I dislike about running: when I talk to people about running and they say, "yeah, but there comes a time when you run that you can just run all day." People minimize the effort that it takes to run, and really believe that at some point runners exert less energy and that running is really easy and effortless at some point. My response to them, "Get out there, put one foot in front of the other, and continue to do so until you think you can run forever. Let me know when you've found that time/place/dimension... because I have never found that place." That'll usually shut them up.

Again, one of the things that I love about running is the sense of accomplishment. I seriously doubt that if running took zero effort that I would have such a feeling of accomplishment when I run.
  • Allison1385
    Allison1385 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    $_35.JPG

I like this :) but I love hearing everyones unique reasons why!
  • dorothybooth
    dorothybooth Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I run because running saved my life. My 8th grade social studies found me hiding in the gym one day after school as he was getting ready to start his laps. He invited me to join him on his run. I did. I was a hot mess. Together he helped me put my life back together. He died before I got to thank him so I keep running to remember him.