2»

Replies

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    PgPmj.gif
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    senecarr wrote: »
    Yes, you definitely have cancer. Go see a doctor for a second opinion, and while there, ask about counseling for binge eating and depression.

She definitely does not have cancer. She just has a high metabolism and a lack of respect for her mom's wisdom.
  • pianoplaya94
    pianoplaya94 Posts: 185 Member
    edited July 2015
    I'm 21 and can relate to you. I find myself bingeing a lot, however, my binges are farther between and when I do binge, I usually stop myself before it gets "out of control".

Firstly, I want to mention that I did see a psychologist earlier this year for about a month or so. But I decided to stop seeing her because I found her ineffective, and ultimately not very good. In the process of finding another one for another reason. However, when I was young I had a psychiatrist (M.D) who was very good. So if you go that route, do your research. I prefer PhD and MD over Master's.

Anyways, I know how hard it is to overcome the urge to binge. But get rid of the "all or non" thinking. I've started to think "Okay... I've ate a lot of calories... but if I continue I will do even more damage. So I better stop". Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.
    Also, I find "junk food days" or "all you can eat days" to not work for me. Because I literally spend all day binging, feel bad about myself, and then continue to binge the next day.
    Think about what you are craving. If you just want to eat chocolate, have something sweet. Having one chocolate bar is OK. Eat it slowly so you enjoy it. If you want to just snack on something infront of the TV, buy mini bags of popcorn and eat one of those. They take a while to finish, and are low in cals!

Lastly, make sure you're eating enough!! And make sure to add in your favourite foods to your meals. Have a bowl of ice cream or chips... you can still lose weight.

I know you didn't really ask specifically how to stop the binges, I just gave you some tips that worked for me :p

But you don't really provide a lot of info in your question. What are your stats? How much do you eat per day?

I also understand being paranoid about health problems. I use to ALWAYS be scared I was suffering from some fatal (or non fatal) illness. I would drive myself insane over it. That was a few years ago... it still happens but only on occasion (and mostly with loved ones' health). I started studying medical - related topics when I entered Uni, and now that I am more informed about medicine, I have become a bit less worried. I cannot tell you with 100% certainty that you do not have cancer. But I can tell you that I have thought that I have had cancer MANY times in the past (and even once because I was losing weight). If you are really concerned, go to the doctor. But you are most likely just eating less on the binges than you think and still maintain a weekly deficit large enough to lose weight.

But I would make an appointment with your doctor and tell him or her all of this. Your doctor will then point you in the right direction. May he / she will give you tips that you can do at home, or refer you to a mental health professional to deal with any anxiety or food related issues :)