dairy and fruit sugars?

13»

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I've noticed that I am always well over my sugar target for the day- myfitnesspal counts dairy and fruit sugars as part of this, should I be cutting down on these products? I'm freaking out a little that I will start gaining weight eating this much sugar everyday... some other forums on the internet only say that you should count "added sugar", what's your views on this?

If you are not trying to eat low carb, then I wouldn't worry about dairy, fruits and veggies taking you over the sugar limit, unless by doing so you are consuming more calories than you wish. Are you still meeting your other macro goals and your desired caloric intake?

If you are trying to to eat low-sugar or low-carb then you'll need to restrict yourself somewhat.

I think sugar is sugar too. Count it all together. If you have to choose a sugar, go for the ones in produce and dairy - there's more vitamins and nutrients that way (usually).
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Kimegatron wrote: »

yaaaay LOL :lol:

I switched to fibre because I got sick of seeing that red number pop up under sugar, pretty much as soon as I entered my breakfast and lunch into my diary :confounded:

I am slowly getting the hang of this, but I didn't realize I was doing okay in fiber! How exciting! Lololol!

hahaha I'm feeling ya! I aim mighty high for fibre. Admittedly I do get a tad excited and fist pump when I get over 40g. :tongue:

• Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    It's gotta be those multigrain English Muffins!!!
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    edited July 2015
    I dont' go crazy with sugar, but I also don't pay any attention to the sugar limits on MFP. :)

Do I go over? Not a clue because I dont' even track it! :DDDDD
  • SharonBrobst
    SharonBrobst Posts: 62 Member
    edited July 2015
    Wow. I don't eat any (except a rare occasional taste) processed sugar or added sugar. I mean seriously who is going to pass up a bite of birthday cake! lol Anyway I often go over my sugar due to fruit and veggies which have it naturally.

If it's naturally found in food I don't worrying too much about it....but I also don't indulge in it either. For me it's a health issue...my blood sugar is high but not diabetic.

Oh and I am American....and don't eat processed food either. :p
  • madeleadele
    madeleadele Posts: 64 Member
    There's definitely a lot of controversy about this topic, as is clear by the discussion on your post!

I believe that processed sugars should be avoided, but that sugars from fruit and dairy don't do much harm. Yes the body recognizes sugar as sugar but as long as your day isn't exclusively fruit I see no harm in naturally sweet foods.