Why gastric bypass if calorie deficit works?

Options
1235»

Replies

• SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Interesting thread.
    I don't know if this is slightly off topic, but I don't know how the methods differ: sleeve vs. bypass, and why one is chosen over another.
    Just for my own understanding, is anyone willing to educate me? I've heard these terms but never really understood what they mean.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Binky, in a nutshell...

Sleeve... the excess parts of your stomach are removed, so the remainder is sort of a tube or banana-shape. It turns the stomach bag into a sleeve. This is a good option for those with less than 100lbs to lose.

Bypass... literally, part of the intestines are bypassed when the stomach is cut and a new pouch is formed. The portion of the intestine that's bypassed is responsible for more than half of the calories, some nutrition, and all sugar processing. This is a good option for those who need to lose 150lbs or more.

I can go into more detail, but that's it in a nutshell. With the sleeve, you get a smaller stomach. With the bypass, you get a new one.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @BinkyBonk those are two different surgeries. I'll provide a link if you want to know how they are different.

http://www.harleystreetbariatrics.com/news/what-is-the-difference-between-a-gastric-bypass-and-gastric-sleeve.php

It all depends on the needs of the patient and the desired outcomes. I had the bypass. It is the oldest surgery and on average results in the greatest loss. It also has good results for people with type 2 diabetes (i.e. like me). A downside is mal-absorption issues for some vitamins, so is not such a good option for women who still want to have children (i.e. not like me).
  • HappyAnna2014
    HappyAnna2014 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I think it is a personal choice between a patient and his/her doctor. I would never do it because (and these are probably dumb reasons, but they are *my* reasons: 1) On all the TV shows, the people who have the surgery and lose fast (or ever those who don't have surgery but lose fast, like on "Biggest Loser") have loose skin. I'm hoping by losing it slow, I will not have loose skin. 2) I don't want a scar from the surgery on my stomach. I've seen some big ones! 3) IT IS SURGERY! When I was normal weight, I had to have my gallbladder removed, and the surgery caused a hernia. Well, two years later when I got the hernia corrected, I was flipping out because I had gained about 35 lbs and I was afraid of not waking up from anesthesia. The surgeon was a patient and kind man, and he told me, "You're not that overweight...and trust me, I do lots of bariatric surgeries on people two to three times your size, and in general, they wake up fine. I was comforted by his words, but made a mental note to never have bariatric surgery. On the other hand, if my doctor told me I needed the surgery for dire health purposes, then I think I would do it. I wouldn't have much of a choice. I think a lot of people who get this surgery feel they don't have a choice.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    I firmly believe that everyone has a choice. Rolling out of bed every morning is a choice. For me, opting for surgery was a choice towards health. Like taking my diabetes seriously, regularly monitoring my blood sugars, and choosing what I eat. It's all choices.
  • HappyAnna2014
    HappyAnna2014 Posts: 214 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I firmly believe that everyone has a choice. Rolling out of bed every morning is a choice. For me, opting for surgery was a choice towards health. Like taking my diabetes seriously, regularly monitoring my blood sugars, and choosing what I eat. It's all choices.

Oh, I totally agree -- everyone has a choice. Trust me, I know I gained all this weight because I like to eat...it was my choice (a bad choice, but still, a choice). And now, I am choosing to lose the weight, by eating less. But I think some people don't *believe* they have a choice for weight loss, and that in order to lose they must have the surgery.

• jgnatca
    Options
    That's why I hate speculative threads like this. You are imparting motive.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    A former coworker of mine also did it. She spent years going from fad diet to fad diet with very little result. She made no secret that she doctor shopped to find one willing to do the surgery on the schedule she wanted. After she had the surgery, she did lose weight, but her compliance was very poor. The last time I saw her she had suffered several complications that resulted from how she ate after the surgery, and had put a big portion of the weight back.

For certain people, the surgery is a valid if drastic tool to make a change and enforce it. Just like any medical intervention, it works best when the doctors are actively managing the patient's case and there are resources available to support the aftercare. When it's used as a quick fix it's very dangerous.

This is my fear. I have a friend about to undergo this and she hasn't been required to do anything but go to a few meetings. I don't think she's doctor shopped, but other people I know have had to go through months of diet and exercise before they could have the surgery. She doesn't exercise at all, and eats lots of high-calorie food. And lots of sugar as a diabetic. I pray she gets the results she wants and that she's OK.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Ang108 wrote: »

People with gastric bypass surgery need just as much willpower for just as much time and psychological support for a lot longer.
    A former neighbor of mine had the surgery, lost 55 kilos ( 121 pounds, which also can be lost the CICO way in the same amount of time, especially at her start-out weight ) in her first year and about 30-35 kilos (66- 80 pounds ) in the second.
    By that time she was still over 200 pounds, which was very disappointing to her and she gave up. In 14 month she gained enough to surpass her initial weight of just over 400 pounds. She died last year a week after Thanksgiving of complications from poorly managed diabetes which included organ failure and a heart attack. Unfortunately she had hoped to lose 250 pounds in no more than two years and then go back to her " real " life.

I am so very, very sorry for the loss of your neighbor. (((HUGS)))
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    When I watch 600 pound life, I don't understand why people who can't even get out of bed are overfed by those who are taking care of them. Is it all just to get on television?

I started watching My 600 Pound Life today due to this thread. I started with Season 2, Episode 1. I was wondering if the husband was being a major jerk just to be on TV until I saw the 8 or 9 year old daughter crying.

I see where you're coming from in Season 2, Episode 2 - the woman hadn't left the house in two years and was presumably being fed by her mother. But she was so so so physically unhealthy, not to mention depressed and suicidal, that no, her mother wasn't over feeding her just to be on TV.