Is my body broken?

2»

Replies

• CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    I knew there was an HRM involved.
    I just noticed that AFTER I mentioned HRMs. I have one myself...They're good...for estimating flat out cardio only burns.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    I just noticed that AFTER I mentioned HRMs. I have one myself...They're good...for estimating flat out cardio only burns.

They're also notorious for vastly overestimating calorie burn in untrained individuals like the OP.
  • jonnythan
    OP also seems to be doing some kind of strength training, which HRMs also significantly overestimate.

I'd say the HRM is a key element of her confusion. It's telling her she's burning way more calories than she actually is.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member

They're also notorious for vastly overestimating calorie burn in untrained individuals like the OP.
    OP also seems to be doing some kind of strength training, which HRMs also significantly overestimate.

I'd say the HRM is a key element of her confusion. It's telling her she's burning way more calories than she actually is.

Can you have anymore of a condescending tone?

I honestly believe my HRM calories burned are pretty accurate. I maintain a heart rate of 155-160 during cardio and I burn around 600-650 calories an hour when MFP and the machines say it should be 900-1100. I am one of those girls that have a moderate-high resistance on the elliptical while I am moving pretty fast. It takes so much work to get my heart rate up because my body is used to intense cardio. I know when most people exercising their HR numbers are high because its a shock to their system. The sign of someone who is fit is if their HR takes a while to warm up to the desired number. I take at least 10 minutes of really pushing myself to get my HR up and to level out at 160.

I do wear an HRM when I strength train but it says I burn like 300-400 calories an hour. My routine consists of the smith machine, barbells, dumbbells and free-weights. I only use a few stand alone machines because if your pushing weights with both sides of your body it can be easy to overcompensate with your prominent side therefor giving you an uneven build. I don't take many breaks. I usually take 30 seconds between sets, maybe 1 minute if I am hurting. I move from one machine to the next and do it all over again. I truly believe I earn those calories. Plus, you have an after-burn that never gets counted.

I have been lifting 6 days a week for 3 years. I am not talking about "lets do 10 minutes of 5lb dumbbells and we will call that strength training". No. My ST runs around 40 minutes-1.5 hours a day depending which part of the body I am working on. I know its not as much as some others but I squat 130 (2 sets of 20 reps), I use 15-20lb dumbbells, etc etc and I lift heavy most of the time. I have muscles underneath this layer of fat and when I do lose the rest of my weight I will finally look like the athlete I am. They are just waiting to be shown :)

So, This is what I have to say to you. I am NOT "untrained". I have worked my *kitten* off almost every day for 3 years. I really don't care for you or for your advice because you are giving it without all the info. You had no idea at which level of intensity I was exercising but you still said the HRM was inaccurate? I am guessing you just assumed I was not working hard. You seem to have this mentality that all HRMs are bad or something. I will be fair, you get what you pay for and some HRMs just plain suck. I have a polar with a chest strap which has an excellent rating. Maybe next time you should ask what the person is doing for exercise and the intensity they are doing it at before you give your 2 cents.

Thanks.

• jonnythan
    Well I guess that explains the large calorie discrepancies described in the OP. Oh wait...

My post wasn't a criticism of you. You're not a trained athlete. Neither am I. You HRM is clearly giving you inflated results if the info in the OP is correct.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Mostly good advice here, I don't think anyone mentioned that spoons and measuring cups are not accurate. Weigh everything.
  • WaxMama
    WaxMama Posts: 369 Member
    I think I'm broken, too! I know for a fact that I burn more than I consume thanks to my Up band's calculations (which underestimates and yet I still come out on top). I weigh my food and count everything that goes into my mouth and even if I was off a bit with that, I still burn more than I eat. I call BS on the whole "calories in vs. calories out" crap. I have lost weight, about 50 lbs, so I know I'm doing something right... but I definitely have to have a HUGE deficit to lose weight. It's rediculous. I've tried eating anywhere from 1200-1900 calories and I stick with it for months before moving on to a new tactic. *sigh* I wish I had an answer for you!!! Good luck!!! :flowerforyou:
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    I honestly believe my HRM calories burned are pretty accurate.

It might be but the likelihood is that it is probably not - see here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    The biggest thing I want to know is why people are over complicating things? The OP already knows she loses at 1800 calories, which means the calculators/hrm are over estimating. So if she eats 1800 calories, she is good.