Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

The Singles Hangout

BasicGreatGuyBasicGreatGuy Posts: 868Member Member Posts: 868Member Member
Being single (even if it may be lonely at times) doesn't mean that there is something wrong with you.

If you are single and looking for fun, friendship, motivation, and even a kick in the butt when needed along life's road, hang with us in the Singles Hangout.

Please keep your hands and feet inside the thread at all times. Please wait until the thread has stopped moving before exiting to the left.

Whether you are working on toning up the mind, body or spirit, know that you aren't alone. We all need a place where everybody knows our name.

Welcome

Replies

• BasicGreatGuyBasicGreatGuy Posts: 868Member Member Posts: 868Member Member
    Count me in please. Seems all my friends are married or whatever. I need to change my profile pic cause that was 25 pounds ago! I'll get on it. By the way for you newbies, this does work if you work it!

Welcome, SkinnyCat. B)

Thus far, I am impressed with what I see on the site. It makes tracking calories and workouts so much easier. With my iPhone 6, Polar Flow app, and my Polar M400 fitness tracker, and the MFP app all synced, my life has more free time where I can cause more trouble (read: be a help) to others. <insert angel smiley here>
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    Hi, everyone. I just popped in to welcome you all, I won't stay as I'm not single and don't want to interrupt your fun :wink: . Since a lot of you seem to be new to MFP, I'd like to invite you to please read the first post of this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here
    Thank you for the link, Miss Cindy. A lot of sage advice in that post. Much appreciated.
    Anyone here working a specific program at the moment? If so, which one and also, how has it been working for you?
  • khelling76khelling76 Posts: 26Member Member Posts: 26Member Member
    khelling76 wrote: »
    Lol. I'm new here so I'm trying to figure everything out and meet new people for support, motivation and fun.

I've enjoyed your humor. Thanks for the chuckle.

I am a MFP virgin as well. I joined yesterday afternoon.

Would be great if I knew where I was going around here. Unfortunately, being male prohibits me from pulling over and asking for directions, not that men actually read manuals. :p

I start week 6 of the 5K runner app tomorrow. Before that, I had never run. Feels good to shed some pounds and work on getting back into shape.

What about you?

• mccindy72mccindy72 Posts: 7,020Member Member Posts: 7,020Member Member
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    Hi, everyone. I just popped in to welcome you all, I won't stay as I'm not single and don't want to interrupt your fun :wink: . Since a lot of you seem to be new to MFP, I'd like to invite you to please read the first post of this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here
    Thank you for the link, Miss Cindy. A lot of sage advice in that post. Much appreciated.

Welcome!
  • docvic123docvic123 Posts: 7Member Member Posts: 7Member Member

Being single (even if it may be lonely at times) doesn't mean that there is something wrong with you.

If you are single and looking for fun, friendship, motivation, and even a kick in the butt when needed along life's road, hang with us in the Singles Hangout.

Please keep your hands and feet inside the thread at all times. Please wait until the thread has stopped moving before exiting to the left.

Whether you are working on toning up the mind, body or spirit, know that you aren't alone. We all need a place where everybody knows our name.

Welcome

Greetings from New Jersey! I'm new here also. BTW, LOL BasicGreatGuy profile pic!

docvic123 wrote: »

Welcome

Greetings from New Jersey! I'm new here also. BTW, LOL BasicGreatGuy profile pic!

Welcome, fellow virgin, docvic. :smiley: Glad to have you a part of our foray.

Atlanta here.

Did you come here for the free Dasani water and free membership to 'camp kick your butt into shape' like the others? >:)
  • khelling76khelling76 Posts: 26Member Member Posts: 26Member Member
    khelling76 wrote: »
    I had used the app briefly eons ago. Well, I may have just set it up and never used it. Lol

I too have been working on running 5k's. I just got a treadmill in Jan and did my own thing. I was doing well until the end of April. Then I had a bunch of things going on and and haven't been on it since. I did sign up for a 5k that's coming in Aug and thinking I better get back at it soon!

I had never run before this and was so excited to run a mile without stopping. It felt like something I'd never reach. But I even hit 2 miles once!

I also lost about 32 lbs since Nov 2014 when I started working on being a healthier me. I've been able to maintain that without exercising but I'm ready to get back at it and lose more and tighten things up. Because even though the scale hasn't changed, measurements have. It amazing how exercise and reshape your body!

So, in week 6 of your program how much do you run at one time? I could I use some running motivation. :)

The following is what my week 6 (three days of app work) looks like.

Monday
    5 min. warm up.
    10 min. run / 5 min. walk
    10 min. run
    5 min. cool down

Tuesday
    5 min. warm up
    10 min. run / 3 min. walk
    10 min. run
    5 min. cool down

Wednesday
    5 min. warm up
    15 min. run / 3 min. walk
    5 min. run
    5 min. cool down

Week 7 starts off with a 20 min. run.

At the end of 8 weeks, you are supposed to be able to run 35 mins straight.

I run Monday - Wednesday. Thursday - Saturday I either walk or ride the mountain bike at least 45 mins, or use the elliptical bike at home.

I have incorporated a Polar heart rate monitor into my training, along with the Polar M400 and it has made a big difference. Since getting the M400 3 days ago, my daily activity has been over 12,000 steps a day.

I started my weight loss on May 22, 2015 at 186 - 187 pounds at 5'6. As of today, I am 159 pounds and still under tall no matter what I try. :-(

My brother is what I consider an elite runner. His latest marathon was 100 miles in 37 hrs straight. He has been a help with advice.

Every hour, the Polar M400 prompts me to get up and move. I set the iPhone (love my Apple products) for 10 min. timer and walk for 10 mins. That way, I rack up the steps and burned calories. :dizzy:

My first goal, besides the weight loss, is to run a 5K. After that, I plan to take over the world.

Good for you on jumping back on the bandwagon. :smile: I have no doubt that you will kick butt in your 5K. Looks like we both want to tighten up some lose bolts. ;)

I hear you on the Apple products. I refer to mine as an orchard. :) I love them too.

As for running, that seems to be about where I was at. I had just got my mile under 12 mins by a few seconds. Not breaking and speed records but my goal was under a 12 min mile. I would consistently run a mile before stopping so I know I could run at least 10 mins. But 20 mins at week 7 would be a challenge.

Your brother is insane! Lol I can't even wrap my head around running that long! That's amazing! Kudos to him.

I can't say I really like running but I see people do it and I would run for like 30 seconds and stop so it was just a beast I wanted to conquer. Lol I'm perfectly happy with 5k's and do not want to run anything longer. Unless I loose my mind later on.

I was also doing some weight training and love a website called my fitness blender. I love the HIIT (high intensity interval training) workouts. I was doing a kettle bell routine, some upper body and core as well. I figured my legs were getting a good workout running and there are a ton of squats with the kettle bell workout.

I used to ride bike and want to get back into that. Such a great calorie burn and it hardly feels like exercise to me. And my quads and calves were awesome. I have a road bike but want to get something where I can have a bigger tire for more options of terrain. My biggest fitness accomplishment was that I once road my bike 100 miles in one day. Key word: once.