having a protein shake with breakfast

2»

Replies

• Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Eileen_S wrote: »
    Try not to replace meals with shakes
    They should be an addition to an already set diet

If you're trying to lose weight you'll need smaller portion meals set apart about 3 hours to keep your metabolism going

Try
    Egg whites with spinach
    Slice of toast shake with one scoop protein
    If you need extra calories add a spoon of pb to the toast or shake
    Low cal/good fat/ high protein

:)

That bit is nonsense, meal timing is irrelevant and has no effect on your metabolism.

I do agree with not replacing meals with shakes though.

Why not replace a meal with a shake if it fits into a persons calorie goals?

tbh - it is personal preference, but I think part of losing weight is learning healthy eating habits - replacing meals with shakes doesn't teach you about portion control etc.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member

If you're trying to lose weight you'll need smaller portion meals set apart about 3 hours to keep your metabolism going

Try
    Egg whites with spinach

That bit is nonsense, meal timing is irrelevant and has no effect on your metabolism.

tbh - it is personal preference, but I think part of losing weight is learning healthy eating habits - replacing meals with shakes doesn't teach you about portion control etc.

True, but every time someone even asks about shakes on here, there is always the comments about eating real food. You can still learn portion control and drink a shake once a day. I've done it for the past 3+ years and still am at a low weight for my height.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    My 513 calorie total "breakfast" includes a scoop of Combat before my daily 4 mile swim.
    The at work I have 3 hard boiled eggs mixed with habañero peppers, Adobo, and a tbs of coconut oil.
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    I like my liver, sorry !
  • FitPhillygirl
    I like my liver, sorry !

I like mine too. But what does this have to do with protein shakes? :|
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member

Try
    Egg whites with spinach

True, but every time someone even asks about shakes on here, there is always the comments about eating real food. You can still learn portion control and drink a shake once a day. I've done it for the past 3+ years and still am at a low weight for my height.

I'm guess you still have the shake every day - most people want to stop with the shakes and go back to real food - and that's where the problems start.
  • FitPhillygirl

Try
    Egg whites with spinach

I'm guess you still have the shake every day - most people want to stop with the shakes and go back to real food - and that's where the problems start.

Actually, no. I do not have a protein shake every day. However, as a nurse I don't often get off the floor for a break. So a protein shake comes in very handy for those times.
  • RobertDidWhat
    RobertDidWhat Posts: 5 Member
    What protein shake are you drinking that contains 500 calories? Or do you add ingredients to it that amounts to 500 calories?
    Its chocolate malt Cytogainer

I love chocolate! That sounds like it would be a very filling shake.

I think it taste good :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    jensquish1 wrote: »
    I eat 5000 calories daily at the moment.
    A shake with breakfast is fine. 3 per day is usually the goal.
    1. Breakfast
    2. Before gym
    3. After gym

Typical breakfast for me is
    3 whole eggs
    1 tbsp cheddar cheese
    Bowl of oatmeal with some jam
    1 scoop Protein shake with peanut butter
    ( 700 calories)
    I wish I had an allowance of 5000 cals

That was my first thought too. How dreamy would that be :lol: