Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Verified food information wrong

ashowers36ashowers36 Posts: 83Member Member Posts: 83Member Member
What do i do if a verified food in the system has incorrect data? the item i am looking at says it has 14g of protein in one serving when the package for the food says 11g. that is kind of a big difference.

Replies

• FitPhillygirlFitPhillygirl Posts: 7,127Member, Premium Member Posts: 7,127Member, Premium Member
    If you have a smartphone or Tablet with a camera, you can scan the barcode of that food label and track it.
  • Francl27Francl27 Posts: 26,391Member Member Posts: 26,391Member Member
    You check the 'no' box asking if the information is correct, look for another entry, or make your own.
  • ultrahoonultrahoon Posts: 467Member Member Posts: 467Member Member
    From a desktop PC, I do this by looking up the food in the database (not the add to diary bit) and then hit the edit button to the right and you can type in the info directly from the box.
  • Need2Exerc1seNeed2Exerc1se Posts: 13,589Member Member Posts: 13,589Member Member
    ultrahoon wrote: »
    From a desktop PC, I do this by looking up the food in the database (not the add to diary bit) and then hit the edit button to the right and you can type in the info directly from the box.

Users can edit the verified entries? That would make the verification meaningless.
  • ultrahoonultrahoon Posts: 467Member Member Posts: 467Member Member
    My apologies, I missed the verified part in my first read, never tried to edit one of those.
  • 6502programmer6502programmer Posts: 519Member Member Posts: 519Member Member
    Are you sure the verified is a 1:1 comparison? It's possible, for instance, the formulation changed, or the serving size changed. What's the link to the item in question?
  • klmnumbersklmnumbers Posts: 213Member Member Posts: 213Member Member
    Yeah I've noticed a few of the 'verified' items are off which is... disconcerting. I had to go through like 4 different mini babybel gouda entries to get the one that matched the package I had.
  • ashowers36ashowers36 Posts: 83Member Member Posts: 83Member Member
    Are you sure the verified is a 1:1 comparison? It's possible, for instance, the formulation changed, or the serving size changed. What's the link to the item in question?

The item in questions is great value teriyaki beef jerky. service size 28g.
  • Need2Exerc1seNeed2Exerc1se Posts: 13,589Member Member Posts: 13,589Member Member
    ashowers36 wrote: »

The item in questions is great value teriyaki beef jerky. service size 28g.

It does seem odd that premade packaged food would be wrong. I could see whole foods because that could vary based on what source you choose for verification, but I would assume that a manufacturer isn't going to have their packaged products tested by more than one company.
  • karahm78karahm78 Posts: 469Member Member Posts: 469Member Member
    I think some items vary regionally due to different suppliers that may have different nutritional values. So they will never be accurate 100% even if they tried.... That is my understanding from my involvement with the industry.
  • nvmomketonvmomketo Posts: 12,031Member Member Posts: 12,031Member Member
    I have that problem a lot. You guys need to go metric! LOL
  • moondrakemoondrake Posts: 37Member Member Posts: 37Member Member
    I've had a couple of occasions where there were several conflicting verified entries for the same food. I had to check each one against the label to find the right one. When I find a similar problem on a fresh food it leaves me unsure if my accounting is right.
  • mangrothianmangrothian Posts: 1,349Member Member Posts: 1,349Member Member
    klmnumbers wrote: »
    Yeah I've noticed a few of the 'verified' items are off which is... disconcerting. I had to go through like 4 different mini babybel gouda entries to get the one that matched the package I had.

That might be because babybel is available worldwide, and some of the verified entries would be for different countries where the nutrition label might be different. It's probably the same for a few internationally common verified foods.

My peeve is that there's verified entries for meals from all these chain restaurants, but no verified (from USDA database or Aussie AUSNUT food database for example) listing for carrots, potatoes or broccoli.
    edited July 2015
  • shaumomshaumom Posts: 880Member Member Posts: 880Member Member
    I'd second mangrothian and karahm78 - sometimes these food entries may be different because the food actually WAS different.

Easiest one is simply when a company changes its formulation. I've seen this happen with agave syrup, where we kept the old bottle for one brand, bought a new bottle from the same brand, and realized the company had eliminated the grams of fiber it used to have and was now 3 grams higher in sugars for the same serving size. :-/

Also, we tend to think of products from a company as one standard, but that's not actually the case, in my experience (I have to call up companies to ask about allergens). There can be different factories doing the processing, in different area of the country, and sometimes, they will source their ingredients from different places based on regional availability, so their ingredients may slightly vary.

In different countries, companies will use completely different ingredients at times, for the exact same product, based on availability, cost differences, laws (like bans on certain dyes in the UK, for example), and sometimes, it seems like no discernible reason at all. We don't really have a way to enter that data here, you know?

It's something that folks with allergies have to cope with a lot, as foods that are safe in their own country may no longer be safe if imported or when they are visiting another country. :-/
    edited July 2015
  • B_TEENB_TEEN Posts: 99Member Member Posts: 99Member Member
    It does seem odd that premade packaged food would be wrong.

Generally I thought the same thing until reading labels where more than one company listed 30 grams per serving being equivalent to both 1/4 cup (correct) and 1/3 cup (incorrect, it's equivalent to 40 grams). The exercise was helpful in that I at least learned the conversions :smiley:

Ultimately, I realize food logging is an estimation game and on any given day the variance to accuracy is within a +/- 5 to 10% range.
    edited July 2015
  • JessieAbolitionistVeganJessieAbolitionistVegan Posts: 29Member Member Posts: 29Member Member
    I just found a "verified" entry for Brussels sprouts that tells me 100g of Brussels sprouts is over 4,000 calories. Ummm...
  • tomatoeytomatoey Posts: 5,459Member Member Posts: 5,459Member Member
    I just found a "verified" entry for Brussels sprouts that tells me 100g of Brussels sprouts is over 4,000 calories. Ummm...

Oh, that happened to me with spinach the other day.
  • wizzybethwizzybeth Posts: 3,518Member Member Posts: 3,518Member Member
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I have that problem a lot. You guys need to go metric! LOL

Since most nutrients are measured in grams and milligrams your comment doesn't make sense.
  • moxie1962moxie1962 Posts: 165Member Member Posts: 165Member Member
    I have used the barcode scanner option...and sometimes even it is different from the printed package nutrition information. Oh well. I just log the barcode info then.
  • seska422seska422 Posts: 3,156Member, Premium Member Posts: 3,156Member, Premium Member
    moxie1962 wrote: »
    I have used the barcode scanner option...and sometimes even it is different from the printed package nutrition information. Oh well. I just log the barcode info then.
    The barcode info is entered into the database by users so it's just as likely to be incorrect as any other user entries. It might have been entered incorrectly or it might be for an older recipe for that item.

The printed package nutrition info is what you should use if they are different.
    edited December 2015