Help with Carb Cravings...

Replies

• BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    That is why i posted two recipes of pasta dishes

But it seems there is some kinda fun to remove those....
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited July 2015
    Carbs are vital to brain and nervous system function and are the main source of energy to fuel our bodies. Unless there is a true medical issue it is unwise to drastically reduce them in your diet. Severe carbohydrate cravings that last for hours or days could indicate that your blood sugar is out of balance. You should discuss this with your Dr.

Usually when I have a craving I enjoy a reasonable portion of the thing I am craving. That usually takes care of the problem.
  • gainesma
    gainesma Posts: 96 Member
    Any idea to help with carb cravings other than just eating moderate amounts if fruits and using Stevia? I always crave pasta and potatoes!

■■■Try a teaspoon or two of coconut oil. Fats often kill cravings quickly■■■
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited July 2015
    Carbs are vital to brain and nervous system function and are the main source of energy to fuel our bodies. Unless there is a true medical issue it is unwise to drastically reduce them in your diet.

I'm just correcting an assumed "slip of the tongue", it is actually glucose that is used in brain and nervous system function, and carbs are just the main macro source of glucose. Your body can also make glucose from protein.
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    umayster wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    OP asked for help with carb cravings. 4/6 said give in and eat the carbs. What is up with the extreme reverence for carbohydrates here?. There are so many healthier foods to chose.

Carb cravings are the worst for me when hungry so eat something filling and delicious and not what you were craving and then decide. Tonight I had to eat fried zucchina to make them stop, but it worked. Feeling full helps fight them off.

the foundation of my diet...probably 45-50% is oats, lentils, legumes, quinoa, brown rice, potatoes, *kitten* loads of veg, and a few servings of fruit daily. those are all carbs, just in case you weren't aware...

i'd be obliged if you could coherently explain what is so unhealthy about the foundation of my diet...and how can i make it so much healthier.

i'll wait....

You can eat any way you want, but should probably be aware that essential macronutrients make up only 50% of your diet composition. Calories matter, chemicals matter.

I am thrilled you have found a way that suits you. You need to respect the fact that your dietary responses are not at all exactly the same as every one else on this planet.

I'm pretty sure his macronutrients make up 100% of his diet as all foods are a combination of carb, fat and protein ..which is , in fact, exactly the same as everyone else on this planet ...isn't it?

Protein and fat are essential macronutrients, carbohydrates are not.

He is a self directing adult and can compose his diet in any manner he prefers.

May I ask why you believe carbohydrates are not an essential macro?

It seems to be the current scientific consensus:

"Clinical Effects of Inadequate Intake

The lower limit of dietary carbohydrate compatible with life appar-
    ently is zero, provided that adequate amounts of protein and fat are con-
    sumed. However, the amount of dietary carbohydrate that provides for
    optimal health in humans is unknown.

Or in other words, just because you can survive/sustain life on no carbs doesn't mean it's necessarily the most healthy thing to do. I would venture to guess those "traditional populations" eat a high protein, high fat diet out of necessity based on geographic location and what's available to them. This doesn't mean we don't need carbs because 3 indigenous populations didn't in 1928.

You would need to read the same sections for proteins and fats to understand how significant that paragraph is. "Essential" is a very important concept in nutrition. It isn't a conversation that should be continued here.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    OP asked for help with carb cravings. 4/6 said give in and eat the carbs. What is up with the extreme reverence for carbohydrates here?. There are so many healthier foods to chose.

Carb cravings are the worst for me when hungry so eat something filling and delicious and not what you were craving and then decide. Tonight I had to eat fried zucchina to make them stop, but it worked. Feeling full helps fight them off.

Nobody reveres carbs, but it is an uphill battle fighting the socially accepted, and erroneous, viewpoint that carbs by their inherent nature are bad.

The number of people who believe that cutting out one particular macro is the only way to weight loss is astonishing

I have no issue with anyone finding a path that works for them to achieve their calorie requirement: low-carb, keto, IIFYM, moderation, meal timing, fasting etc etc ....but if an OP is craving something that is a sure sign that there is a behavioural habit that needs to be addressed

Many have found success by working out how to fit their most desired foods into their overall diet to hit their calorie target...it's about frequency and portion size and balancing everything you eat

And by doing that cravings diminish, until they are controllable and better behavioural habits take their place

Others find that they have the constant willpower to completely elimate said foods and then eventually that craving diminishes but I always wonder, as a 15 year ex smoker who can still be tempted to take crafty cigarette, is that just relying on willpower for the rest of your life ...would behavioural modification suit better

I'm a crash and burn type..tell me I can't have something and it fills my head

I found my way ...MFP discussions enable people to understand their isn't one true way to achieve your calorie defecit healthily
    I find that there are many more claims of people saying that others think it's the only way to weight loss than there are posters actually claiming it. I'd guess it's about 100:1.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Kalikel wrote: »

Nobody reveres carbs, but it is an uphill battle fighting the socially accepted, and erroneous, viewpoint that carbs by their inherent nature are bad.

The number of people who believe that cutting out one particular macro is the only way to weight loss is astonishing

I have no issue with anyone finding a path that works for them to achieve their calorie requirement: low-carb, keto, IIFYM, moderation, meal timing, fasting etc etc ....but if an OP is craving something that is a sure sign that there is a behavioural habit that needs to be addressed

Many have found success by working out how to fit their most desired foods into their overall diet to hit their calorie target...it's about frequency and portion size and balancing everything you eat

And by doing that cravings diminish, until they are controllable and better behavioural habits take their place

Others find that they have the constant willpower to completely elimate said foods and then eventually that craving diminishes but I always wonder, as a 15 year ex smoker who can still be tempted to take crafty cigarette, is that just relying on willpower for the rest of your life ...would behavioural modification suit better

I found my way ...MFP discussions enable people to understand their isn't one true way to achieve your calorie defecit healthily
    I find that there are many more claims of people saying that others think it's the only way to weight loss than there are posters actually claiming it. I'd guess it's about 100:1.

I disagree, I find the number of times people assume I have given up carbs in RL astonishing, and the number of times I read of people going low carb because they've been told to by someone well meaning on here massively outnumbers the number of noobs who come in understanding CICO

It's clearly down to perspective

:)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member

I disagree, I find the number of times people assume I have given up carbs in RL astonishing, and the number of times I read of people going low carb because they've been told to by someone well meaning on here massively outnumbers the number of noobs who come in understanding CICO

Nope, not perspective. People are frequently arguing for CICO when nobody has argued against it. Watch and you'll see. People even say, "Nobody has said it doesn't work," and they still argue it. Happens all the time.
  • noobletmcnugget
    noobletmcnugget Posts: 518 Member
    I regularly eat pasta and potatoes... work them into your daily goal. Don't deprive yourself and you won't crave them so much maybe?
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member

Nope, not perspective. People are frequently arguing for CICO when nobody has argued against it. Watch and you'll see. People even say, "Nobody has said it doesn't work," and they still argue it. Happens all the time.

From my perspective, it's not necessarily the arguments but the newbie posts either asking how to eliminate X or excitedly stating that they're beginning their diet and will no longer eat such and such because it's so bad for you

• Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    OP, if you don't have a medical reason to avoid carbs, it's ok to eat them and fit them into your daily calories. You'll still be able to lose weight. :flowerforyou:
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    edited July 2015
    To the OP

I ate lower carb for a while and gradually reduced carbs.

I ate the carbs I craved along with vegetable sourced carbs.

And.... On their days I made sure I did at least a half hour of harder cardio to burn them off

I do not know why I had certain carb cravings early on. But I share that. It did get better as I saw results from shifting from pasta and sugar sourced carbs to vegetable based.

For me two cookies wants me to eat a few more to be their friends!!

But in time it did change though. I don't have any cravings for any food type. It just got better as I saw food differently. Give it time if you are new to trying to control something you have never controlled before.

It seems unthinkable for me looking back on how it used to be, but if I forget my electrolyte carb packs on my morning ride, two brownies from Starbucks with my coffee turn into my ride carbs. It is less than I need and burn it all off

So if I ate 750 in two brownies, I still burnt off 4x that.

So carbs burned off and CICO respected

ee28761k293f.jpg

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member

sumed.
    However, the amount of dietary carbohydrate that provides for
    optimal health in humans is unknown. There are traditional populations
    that ingested a high fat, high protein diet containing only a minimal
    amount of carbohydrate for extended periods of time (Masai), and in
    some cases for a lifetime after infancy (Alaska and Greenland Natives,
    Inuits, and Pampas indigenous people) (Du Bois, 1928; Heinbecker, 1928).
    There was no apparent effect on health or longevity. Caucasians eating an
    essentially carbohydrate-free diet, resembling that of Greenland natives,
    for a year tolerated the diet quite well (Du Bois, 1928)."
    --USDA DRI, 2005 pg.275

Sources from 1928, may not be the most credible voices 90 years later. And the study you pulled that quote from begins with:

"The primary role of carbohydrates (sugars and starches) is to provide energy to cells in the body, particularly the brain, which is the only carbohydrate-dependent organ in the body. The Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) for carbohydrate is set at 130 g/d for adults and children based on the average minimum amount of glucose utilized by the brain."

That does not make the study you an endorsement of no carb or a current scientific consensus.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Carb cravings ... I pull them into my diet. I cup of frozen, plain shredded potatoes is only 70 calories. Then I mix them with veggies and egg whites. Sometimes some black beans.

I found some yummy red lentil pasta at CostCo. High fiber and protein. Very satisfying.

I typically eat a moderate carb diet. (35/35/30, c/p/f).
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Psychgrrl wrote: »

sumed.
    --USDA DRI, 2005 pg.275

Sources from 1928, may not be the most credible voices 90 years later. And the study you pulled that quote from begins with:

"The primary role of carbohydrates (sugars and starches) is to provide energy to cells in the body, particularly the brain, which is the only carbohydrate-dependent organ in the body. The Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) for carbohydrate is set at 130 g/d for adults and children based on the average minimum amount of glucose utilized by the brain."

That does not make the study you an endorsement of no carb or a current scientific consensus.

The sources from 1928 are used because the science is valid and estabished. They don't re-study unless needed.

The brain is not carbohydrate dependant, it is glucose dependant. your body can make glucose, you don't have to eat carbs for it.

An RDA is something decided by people, an essential nutrient is defined by the body's requirements. The difference matters.

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    senecarr wrote: »

the foundation of my diet...probably 45-50% is oats, lentils, legumes, quinoa, brown rice, potatoes, *kitten* loads of veg, and a few servings of fruit daily. those are all carbs, just in case you weren't aware...

i'd be obliged if you could coherently explain what is so unhealthy about the foundation of my diet...and how can i make it so much healthier.

i'll wait....

You can eat any way you want, but should probably be aware that essential macronutrients make up only 50% of your diet composition. Calories matter, chemicals matter.

I am thrilled you have found a way that suits you. You need to respect the fact that your dietary responses are not at all exactly the same as every one else on this planet.

I'm pretty sure his macronutrients make up 100% of his diet as all foods are a combination of carb, fat and protein ..which is , in fact, exactly the same as everyone else on this planet ...isn't it?

By this kind of reasoning, you have no need for vitamin a either.

A is one of the essential vitamins. Not sure why you are saying that.
    If carbohydrates are not an essential macronutrient because you don't need dietary carbohydrates, vitamin a is not an essential vitamin either. You don't have to eat vitamin a to live.

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Psychgrrl wrote: »

sumed.
    --USDA DRI, 2005 pg.275

The sources from 1928 are used because the science is valid and estabished.
    They don't re-study unless needed.

The brain is not carbohydrate dependant, it is glucose dependant. your body can make glucose, you don't have to eat carbs for it.

An RDA is something decided by people, an essential nutrient is defined by the body's requirements. The difference matters.
    Except it isn't. Newer research shows at least that the Inuit do end up consuming glucose in the fatty tissue of animals they eat.
    The second bolded statement is like saying "I'm not dependent on a car for transportation, I'm dependent on my civic for transportation." You don't have to ingest dietary carbs, but your brain is still metabolically dependent on having them to such an extent that your body will generate them from your diet.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member

i'll wait....

While your are medically correct about carbohydrates not being required by humans it is a medical fact that I only learned last year even with a health care educational background. I agree adults should be permitted to eat what they prefer. Carbs is the most common and cheapest source of calories which makes them popular if for no other reason.

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member

i'll wait....

While your are medically correct about carbohydrates not being required by humans it is a medical fact that I only learned last year even with a health care educational background. I agree adults should be permitted to eat what they prefer. Carbs is the most common and cheapest source of calories which makes them popular if for no other reason.

The closest explanation I saw about carbs not being strictly essential stated that protein/fat sources were generally unlikely to have ZERO carbs in them, anyway. And 2) if you somehow managed to eat zero carbs, the toxicity from metabolizing the proteins and fats in the absence of carbs would kill you

Is this inaccurate?