Not reaching my potassium goal :-\

2»

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    GeapetCore wrote: »
    I thought MFP does track potassium??? I thought I've seen it there before.

I have problems with not enough potassium due to a few medications I take. Coconut water has a lot of potassium as does tomato paste.

As for heart palpitations, do you mean a rapid heart beat or afib? I know when I get too low on water and/or potassium, I will go into afib. Not fun.

Finally, decaf coffee and decaf tea still have some level of caffeine in them so avoid as well.

It is capable of tracking potassium, but 90% of the food entries in the database don't have potassium values associated with them.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    lalainap19 wrote: »
    I have been experiencing symptoms of potassium deficiency like cramps heart palpitations and anxiety along with trouble sleeping I eat spinach avocados Greek yogurt but it doesn't put a dent in my daily goal I'll be lucky to even reach it halfway. I'm having problems trying to get all that potassium in a low calorie deficit diet. Any good supplements or potassium rich foods/ I don't like bananas. Please help :'(

These are not symptoms to be addressed or diagnosed online

You need a face to face medical

• GeckoSupervisor
    GeckoSupervisor Posts: 12 Member
    Seconding (or thirding, or however many people have said it) that you should probably go to a doctor, maybe after your move back to Florida. If it is potassium deficiency (and you can't tell from MFP, lots of foods don't even have their potassium data entered), then your doc can help you with dietary changes or meds. Also anxiety, heart palpitations, trouble sleeping, and even muscle cramping could definitely be anxiety disorder, so it would be really good to get a medical exam and find out what's up.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    GeapetCore wrote: »
    I thought MFP does track potassium??? I thought I've seen it there before.

I have problems with not enough potassium due to a few medications I take. Coconut water has a lot of potassium as does tomato paste.

As for heart palpitations, do you mean a rapid heart beat or afib? I know when I get too low on water and/or potassium, I will go into afib. Not fun.

Finally, decaf coffee and decaf tea still have some level of caffeine in them so avoid as well.

It does, but many labels don't include it and many people who enter stuff wouldn't bother entering it, anyway, because they don't care about it. If you use labels, you won't get accurate numbers on K.

Still and all, most Americans don't get enough K but do get too much salt. So, if you're like most people, it wouldn't hurt to have some potatos (red, white or sweet), dates, raisins, dried apricots, whathaveyou.

Don't take supplements unless the doctor tells you to take them. 1) They're such big pills. 2) It can be dangerous to take too much,

K is yet another good reason EVERYONE should get regular check-ups at the doctor. You find out all kind of things...and you sometimes find them out early enough to fix them before surgery is necessary or death sentences are pronounced. :)
  • SimoneBee12
    SimoneBee12 Posts: 268 Member
    I doubt you're deficient, it's pretty difficult to get deficient. Most of the foods in the MFP database don't have potassium entered even if the food contains it, so your diary will likely always be low unless you make an effort to pick entries that have it.

You should see your dr and get your levels check and your thyroid checked as well just in case.

Are you on thyroid meds?

Not on any meds or have any health problems just the ones I listed.
    I get scared to go to the doc I don't want to get on pills I've had family with drug issues and a friend overdose it scares me a lot :-(

If that's the case, the heart palps are probably due to having anxiety. It's pretty common. What about caffein or preworkouts? Taking any of those?
    I have tea once or twice a day no preworkouts but I moved to California in February ever since I've had problems sleeping and anxiety it was a drastic change in my life.

OP, you should really go see your doctor, from what you've said, I don't think your anxiety is related to low potassium, but rather an anxiety disorder. Especially if you just made a massive move, they can commonly cause anxiety. Plus, the doctor can give you a blood test to see if you actually are low on potassium, so you'll know either way.

That's just my opinion, though.

Also, tea can give me heart palpitations, maybe try avoiding it for a week, and see if it helps. However, the anxiety and sleeping problems are most likely something else.

I'm scared to go to the doc I've had family get in those pills and a friend overdose so it scares me a lot to take anything a doc will prescribe :-(

If you find out you do have an anxiety disorder, you don't have to go on medication, I understand you're apprehension towards it. There are a ton of other alternatives for mental health issues, especially anxiety disorder, like meditation, cognitive behavioural therapy, or exposure therapy (this probably isn't relevant to you though). if you tell your doctor no medication, then they can definitely help you with alternatives.

This is what I'm trained in, I really think you should speak to someone about it, if you want to wait until you get back to Florida and see if your symptoms stop, you can, but if they continue after, say, 2 weeks, I'd definitely see someone. You can add me as a friend, or private message me if you want.
  • lalainap19
    lalainap19 Posts: 165 Member
    I doubt you're deficient, it's pretty difficult to get deficient. Most of the foods in the MFP database don't have potassium entered even if the food contains it, so your diary will likely always be low unless you make an effort to pick entries that have it.

You should see your dr and get your levels check and your thyroid checked as well just in case.

Are you on thyroid meds?

Not on any meds or have any health problems just the ones I listed.
    I get scared to go to the doc I don't want to get on pills I've had family with drug issues and a friend overdose it scares me a lot :-(

If that's the case, the heart palps are probably due to having anxiety. It's pretty common. What about caffein or preworkouts? Taking any of those?
    I have tea once or twice a day no preworkouts but I moved to California in February ever since I've had problems sleeping and anxiety it was a drastic change in my life.

OP, you should really go see your doctor, from what you've said, I don't think your anxiety is related to low potassium, but rather an anxiety disorder. Especially if you just made a massive move, they can commonly cause anxiety. Plus, the doctor can give you a blood test to see if you actually are low on potassium, so you'll know either way.

That's just my opinion, though.

Also, tea can give me heart palpitations, maybe try avoiding it for a week, and see if it helps. However, the anxiety and sleeping problems are most likely something else.

I'm scared to go to the doc I've had family get in those pills and a friend overdose so it scares me a lot to take anything a doc will prescribe :-(

If you find out you do have an anxiety disorder, you don't have to go on medication, I understand you're apprehension towards it. There are a ton of other alternatives for mental health issues, especially anxiety disorder, like meditation, cognitive behavioural therapy, or exposure therapy (this probably isn't relevant to you though). if you tell your doctor no medication, then they can definitely help you with alternatives.

This is what I'm trained in, I really think you should speak to someone about it, if you want to wait until you get back to Florida and see if your symptoms stop, you can, but if they continue after, say, 2 weeks, I'd definitely see someone. You can add me as a friend, or private message me if you want.
    OK thank u so much for that information I didn't think it was too serious but u helped me see its not normal and I shouldn't try to cure myself.

• Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    I drink coconut water for potassium. It's pretty high in the stuff. Or, potatos have them (french fries if you can spare the calories), bananas, brussels sprouts, black beans, peaches, grapes
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    It sounds like you have an anxiety disorder. Being afraid of doctors is dangerous itself. What if you end up really ill? Who would you trust? Work on establishing trust in a doctor.

Doctors prescribe, but patients take. You can double check if any prescription is addictive before you decide to take them. I am pretty sure potassium supplements are non-addictive.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    POM juice has a good dose. It is calorie dense, though. But YUMMY!