Exercise doesn't help you lose weight...say what?

Replies

• cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    ^ That's awesome! Nice job! I'd like to drop 15-20lbs myself. Going to try revamping my diet a bit and see what happens. I take walks at night and lift weights 2-3 times a week but I'm not really looking to go to the gym and run on a treadmill for 60 minutes.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    It's about creating a deficit. How people accomplish that is individual. I see a lot of people say it is easier to eat less but that isn't true for everyone. For some it's easier to keep eating the same and increase activity.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    cdahl383 wrote: »
    Anyone here lose serious weight with changes in diet only and little to no exercise?

I hate commenting on zombie threads, especially one like this that should die, but since I actually read through the whole thing I'll respond...

Yes, I've lost over 130lbs with almost no exercise. About four months into the diet, I occasionally started walking a couple miles, a day or two a week, for maybe a week or two, then nothing for months and months, rinse repeat. I was losing without the exercise so I just couldn't stay motivated to keep it up. I'm trying to walk more now that I've got less than 15lbs to go, but that doesn't change the fact that up until now it's been pretty much free of exercise.
  • Tropicoolblonde
    Tropicoolblonde Posts: 70 Member
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    You can't out run a bad diet

Not sure i agree with this cliche. Many have lost weight while eating foods perceived as "bad", simply by increasing their calorie output.

"Most studies indicate that .. when combined with dietary restriction, exercise has a synergistic effect and enhances weight loss beyond the effect of diet alone."
    www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23174547

Yep. You can't outrun a " terrible " diet ... but I eat 2000 cal a day and burn 1000 cal everyday and lose 2-3 lbs a week. Can outexercise a moderately bad diet for sure. Look at all my rail thin runner friends. We eat way more and way worse than you guaranteed and the largest of us is a size 4
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited May 2017
    I agree with you. You can eat your "normal amount" and then exercise burning 500 calories a day, or not exercise and eat 500 calories less, or a combination of both. I think you are arguing semantics though honestly. I think she means you can't exercise and then stuff you face all day and expect to lose. You need to pay attention to how much you eat either way...

Damn I didn't realize this thread was so old
  • kmorrow0712
    kmorrow0712 Posts: 29 Member
    I only exercise to be able to eat more. Oops.
  • HazyEyes93
    HazyEyes93 Posts: 89 Member
    I agree with your friends. You can't outrun a bad diet. It is much harder to run long enough to burn off a candy bar than it is to just not eat it in the first place. Exercise is great for a lot of things, just not weight loss. However, I do like earning a 100cal snack after a good workout. Very satisfying.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    It also depends on type of exercise. I have fallen in love with boxing. I burn 400-600 calories per class and have built muscle increasing my BMR. That class absolutely provides my deficit for the day without needing to diet.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Anyone here lose serious weight with changes in diet only and little to no exercise?

I have lost 115 lbs without intentional exercise - medical issues. I did swim last summer (and expect to do so again this summer) but I have never set foot in a gym, or done a single jumping jack or squat or whatever. I just cant. I am thinking of trying out yoga, though some positions will be impossible (cant kneel or overflex knees) or maybe tai chi.
  • comeonnow142857
    comeonnow142857 Posts: 310 Member
    There's typically a lot more room to adjust CI, vs adjusting CO (especially if you're not at a spectacular fitness & endurance level).
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Merkavar wrote: »
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    You can't out run a bad diet

Not sure i agree with this cliche. Many have lost weight while eating foods perceived as "bad", simply by increasing their calorie output.

"Most studies indicate that .. when combined with dietary restriction, exercise has a synergistic effect and enhances weight loss beyond the effect of diet alone."
    www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23174547

I think in this case bad isn't greasy cheese burger, but 2000 calorie surplus etc

As in you can't perform enough exercise in a day if your eating too much.

In my experience I burn like 8-10 cal per minute on a treadmill etc. if I was over eating by 1000 or more calories I would have to use the treadmill for like 1.5 hours just to maintain my weight.

This. I think those who are making the argument against the cliché may be working from the assumption that the person in question is just eating at maintenance. Maybe OP is, in fact, eating at maintenance. But, how do you know unless you are already controlling/tracking your diet? Personally, I didn't get fat (necessitating my efforts to lose weight) by eating at maintenance level. Maybe I was a "glutton" as someone mentioned in an earlier reply. But, my need to lose weight was definitely a result of overeating, and I can confidently say I would not have been able to lose weight with exercise alone. I might have slowed the weight gain or stalled it, but I wouldn't have lost. Just my 2 cents . . . .
  • RamboKitty87
    RamboKitty87 Posts: 272 Member
    I have to agree with a lot here it's 80% diet 20% exercise, I'm limited to 1370 calories per day, I exercise so I can live on around 1600 calories with a calorie net of 1300, without the exercise so I can eat a little more I would be starving and really not a joy for people to be around me lol, I weigh everything and count everything that goes into my mouth (even mints) and I have been losing 1-2lbs per week for a few months now, it works for me but it may not work for everyone, it's all about finding what works for you without overdoing it, everyone seems to have their own methods for it, livestrong goes by the whole burn more than you eat, I did that for 4 days, I was in a minus net calories for 4 days and by the 5th I was really depressed, had no energy and was just hungry all the time, we all make those mistakes, just find what works best for you and go by that, if it stops working then adjust and try new things till it starts working again. :smile:
  • merekins
    merekins Posts: 228 Member
    I think of it like this: weight loss is to exercise as getting sick is to going outside with wet hair during winter. While it's ridiculous that wet hair would "catch" bacteria or viruses, there is something about getting cold that may lead to you being less likely to fight something off. Technically, the old wives tale is false but getting overly chilled could lower your immune system. While you can lose weight watching tv all day, it seems that exercise does something that makes it easier to make healthier choices. Is it because exercise creates new habits? Gives you more energy? Relieves anxiety/stress? I have no idea but there seems to be a correlation between weight loss and exercise.
  • rylieistrapgod
    rylieistrapgod Posts: 4 Member
    From excercise alone i went from a size 50 in pants to a 38 thats without changing my eating habits.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited May 2017
    Zombie thread needs moar brainz.
    Or not.
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Op - you have not figured this out in the past two years???,,,

Haha yeah, I just like to stir the pot! :)
  • Bradley_J84
    Bradley_J84 Posts: 110 Member
    I've lost nearly 60 and not a day in the gym...