Exercise doesn't help you lose weight...say what?

Replies

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    I was pretty much too fat to do any meaningful exercise when I first started losing weight, so I focused on diet. That got me about 80% there. The last 20%, I've focused on incorporating exercise I enjoy and am training for a half marathon. I'm down more than 95lbs from when I've started. While I'm close to my "goal weight," I'm far more focused on fitness objectives now.

So yeah. 80% diet. 20% exercise.
  • azironasun
    azironasun Posts: 137 Member
    Muscle toning is done in the gym. Weight loss is done in the kitchen.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    azironasun wrote: »

Still just catch phrases that are only sometimes true. Muscles can be toned outside a gym. Weight loss can happen even if you never enter a kitchen.
  • Need2Exerc1se

Still just catch phrases that are only sometimes true. Muscles can be toned outside a gym. Weight loss can happen even if you never enter a kitchen.

Yeah sometimes someone might toss a sandwich to you sitting in the living room lol ;)

Or you may live in a dorm and not have a kitchen, or eat all your meals out, or have a family member who prepares all your food.

Weight loss comes from moving enough to offset what you put in your pie hole. There are 2 sides to the equation and both are important.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member

I understand this sentiment, but it just doesn't work well for me. Obviously I could lose weight by just controlling my eating. But for me, exercise and diet are intertwined. For me, if one falls off, the other is right behind it. Happens every single time. And I find it much easier to maintain a deficit with exercise.
  • MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    Because I am old, I am losing weight slowly by diet alone. I have a 20 years younger friend, who did not adjust her already healthy diet, joined a gym and lost a stone (14lbs) in a year.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    If your diet isn't controlled, exercise isn't going to do most people much good..

On the other hand, eating a pint of ice cream every day and going for a long walk afterwards is going to be better and do more for anyone than eating a pint of iced cream and then watching TV. Exercise always helps. Exercise may not be a complete solution but it helps.
  • davidylin
    davidylin Posts: 228 Member
    edited October 2017
    One thing I've heard that resonates with me personally is that health is 60% sleep, 30% diet, 10% exercise. Philosophically (not scientifically) I have to ask: what is the point of a 'healthy' weight if you don't healthy-exercise? (Is it health if it's not the whole picture?) Also, what is the point of exercise if you don't get to a healthy weight?

The personal advice I give to others (that is scientific) is that you really need to go to sleep and get up at the same times of the day and make sure that you get enough quality sleep - that's the most important thing. After that, you have to make sure you have an appropriate and not-unhealthy diet (you can lose weight eating nothing but cheeseburgers portioned for calories, but then you'll get the scurvy). Once you've nailed all of that down, you should really start exercising. And the rules here are taper, taper, taper - ease into routines, start with a baseline you are comfortable with then add reps/time/weight/effort to step up your exercise game over time.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    @YepItsKriss Think of it as bumping of an oldie but goodie. Plenty of new users will get some education from this.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    The sense in which to understand the "exercise vs diet" debate is to understand that "Diet" is what you habitually eat, both in quality and quantity, while "Exercise" is what you do, whether for compensating for diet or pursuing other goals. Exercise is what you stop doing while injured. Exercise is what you forget to do, slack off doing, or do ineffectively. Your diet is a long-term thing that doesn't actually stop. Your exercise is a short-term thing which can stop and be greatly variable.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    There's typically a lot more room to adjust CI, vs adjusting CO (especially if you're not at a spectacular fitness & endurance level).

I strongly disagree. It is so much easier for me to get off my couch and go for walk or ride and earn 300 - 600 calories than to restrict myself to 1200-1400 calories on a long term basis.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    I don't care how old a thread is, if there's an opportunity to talk I'll take it. lpl
  • Need2Exerc1se
    bagge72 wrote: »
    In the end It's 100% diet. Exercise just adds to the amount of calories you burn in a day, but what you eat is going to decide what the deficit is. If you burn more and eat more, you're in the same boat.

LOL Its 100% CI. CO doesn't count?