Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

changing the time each day resets

angerzagiftangerzagift Posts: 1Member Member Posts: 1Member Member
i work an off shift my day usually starts with first meal at 3pm,last snack around 4am. now the program splits my day into 2 and its a pain to keep track of.would like the ability to keep track of hours from a start time i can change.

Replies

• CyberToneCyberTone Posts: 7,510Member Member Posts: 7,510Member Member
    The only option right now is to change your time zone in settings; instead of US Central Time, you could change your time zone to match Hawaii - and maybe dream about living on the beach! :smiley:
    From the MFP Help pages...
    1 Community Answers
    Michael MyFitnessPal Agent Apr 14, 2015 10:21AM PDT

Hello,

You currently cannot choose the exact start time of your day. However, it may be helpful to change your time zone to one that is more suitable to your schedule.

To change your Time Zone:

On the Web

Click “My Home” then “Settings” then “Change time zone”.​​​​

In our iPhone and iPad apps

On the “Settings” screen tap “Profile” then scroll down to “Time Zone”

In our Android app

On the “Settings” screen tap “Profile” then “Location”

In our other mobile apps

On the “More” screen tap “Edit Profile” then scroll down to “Time Zone”

We hope this helps. Please let us know if you have any other problems or questions.

Kind Regards,
    Michael
    MyFitnessPal Staff
    Reference:
    myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/questions/11631208-time-of-the-day
  • jclongy1jclongy1 Posts: 1Member Member Posts: 1Member Member
    Is this a final answer? I work night shift and would like to have MFP track days starting and ending at noon on the days that I work. I also work a rotation of three weeks, followed by three weeks off. Is MFP working on a fix for this? Adding that option would help people everywhere. I shouldn't have to change my timezone to track my specific hours. I have heard Fitbit is working on something to make this a possibility.
  • BarbieASBarbieAS Posts: 1,444Member, Premium Member Posts: 1,444Member, Premium Member
    jclongy1 wrote: »
    Is this a final answer? I work night shift and would like to have MFP track days starting and ending at noon on the days that I work. I also work a rotation of three weeks, followed by three weeks off. Is MFP working on a fix for this? Adding that option would help people everywhere. I shouldn't have to change my timezone to track my specific hours. I have heard Fitbit is working on something to make this a possibility.

Can't you just...pick an approach and log your food that way consistently? Just decide in your brain that your day always starts at noon or whatever, and so log anything you ate from midnight to noon on today's calendar day on yesterday's diary day, and repeat every day. Voila. Then, when you have several weeks off, if you want to change back to a calendar day you can, or you can keep logging as you already are - yes, if you changed back, you'd have an odd 12 hours to deal with, but you'd have that anyway if MFP introduced some kind of function for this.

You can even change your meal names to make it super clear - entering time frame might work best for you, for example:
    Meal 1: 12pm - 4pm (Today)
    Meal 2: 4pm - 8pm (Today)
    Meal 3: 8pm - 12am (Today)
    Meal 4: 12am - 4am (Tomorrow)
    Meal 5: 4am - 8am (Tomorrow)
    Meal 6: 8am - 12pm (Tomorrow)

Or whatever time periods work for your schedule.
  • fozzy711fozzy711 Posts: 16Member, Premium Member Posts: 16Member, Premium Member
    a 'my day starts at' setting is not hard to implement speaking from a software support tech role for a software company
  • alikondaalikonda Posts: 2,541Member, Premium Member Posts: 2,541Member, Premium Member
    CyberTone wrote: »
    fozzy711 wrote: »
    a 'my day starts at' setting is not hard to implement speaking from a software support tech role for a software company

I would suppose the major stumbling block to having a simple setting would be the requirement that the MFP software interface with multiple third-party activity trackers that depend on the same local start time for logging exercises.

In addition, all-day activity trackers that sync also depend on having all other applications that sync health and exercise data be set to the same time zone.

Some things that may look simple on the surface may not be as easy to implement when all constraints are known and properly analyzed.

I love you, @CyberTone :heart: It's one of my pet peeves when someone says "It's not hard to..." without knowing anything about the potential tech mess under the hood :wink:
  • CyberToneCyberTone Posts: 7,510Member Member Posts: 7,510Member Member
    alikonda wrote: »
    CyberTone wrote: »
    fozzy711 wrote: »

I would suppose the major stumbling block to having a simple setting would be the requirement that the MFP software interface with multiple third-party activity trackers that depend on the same local start time for logging exercises.

In addition, all-day activity trackers that sync also depend on having all other applications that sync health and exercise data be set to the same time zone.

Some things that may look simple on the surface may not be as easy to implement when all constraints are known and properly analyzed.

I love you, @CyberTone :heart: It's one of my pet peeves when someone says "It's not hard to..." without knowing anything about the potential tech mess under the hood :wink:

Right back at you. :) I was just wondering if you were still around.
  • JohannVIIJohannVII Posts: 11Member Member Posts: 11Member Member
    Nope, sorry CyberTone, none of the potential problems you raise are actually problems; fozzy711 is correct. The only thing impacted is how MFP is grouping recorded data of any type for presentation to the user. The actual records don't care what day it is - they each have their own independent timestamps, irrespective of the source, which *should* include Zulu offset, though they might not be implemented that way - and any issues with inconsistent local timestamps due to different time zone settings are already present anyway. In fact, the suggested 'fix' of altering the MFP time zone introduces some of those exact problems you're worried about, by making MFP operate on a different time zone than other apps/trackers. We're literally only talking about how MFP buckets food and exercise logs (that all have their own independent timstamps) for display to the user - it's a really, really easy feature to include that should be implemented, becasue it would AVOID problems that are present now.
  • heybalesheybales Posts: 16,973Member Member Posts: 16,973Member Member
    So like the setting "Week starts on ...." Sun or Mon type option that many types have to examine the weekly info.

"Your midnight starts at ... " and then pick your hour. You wake up however many hours later.

Because the trackers are involved - MFP would need to know what "day" to sync the settings to depending on when they came in, just like normal - and then the activity trackers would need to match on what time they zero out and start a new "day".

Just as MFP would to do it's daily estimates when trackers are involved.
  • AndyVanBassAndyVanBass Posts: 2Member Member Posts: 2Member Member
    I am also interested in this since I work late & therefore wake up late. I often log food hours later and forget to log on the previous day when it's after midnight. A few thoughts on UI (user interface) that would make it easier on all of us w/ weird schedules:

- At the top of the Diary page, it says "Today", tap left "Tomorrow", 2+ days shows the day/date "Thu, Jun 28". If this said "Today Sat Jun 30", that would help remind me when I log food after midnight to log it on the previous day.

- A prompt between 12:00 midnight & 5:00 am would also help me log on the day I intend to. "Are you logging this for Today Sat Jun 30 or Yesterday Fri Jun 29?".
    edited July 2018
  • stephkg84stephkg84 Posts: 3Member, Premium Member Posts: 3Member, Premium Member
    I ran across this on a Google search but what I have found works is that to treat your log the same way you do your day. So I typically like to be asleep by 6 am and awake by 2 PM. With work typically 8 PM- 4AM. so for example everything I ate from the time I woke up at 1 today until and including after midnight. Not sure about the rest of you but to keep my days somewhat straight it isn't the next day until after I wake up. Just my thoughts.