Overweight gym staff

Replies

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    karyabc wrote: »
    karyabc wrote: »
    How about taking advice from an alcoholic on how to quit drinking because he or she quit drinking once or twice for a few months, even though they now continue doing so? Is that being judgmental?

Well I do take advise from my hairdresser who doesn't have like the best hair at all
    The girl who does my nails, she doesn't have the prettiest nails but damn she does a georgeus job
    I follow/like fashion advise from michael kors, you know the guy who only wears black jeans/t shirts
    My aunt; she is therapist and her patients love her, do you think all therapist have this perfect and balanced life?
    Life happens to everyone , if I would choose to live my life with the whole you don't play the part good enough, I would be missing pretty amazing people in my life.
    but hey that is just my personal experience.

What exactly does "life happens" mean? I see that written here so many times as an excuse as to why they go back to getting overweight. Life happens ALWAYS - otherwise you are dead. While you are alive, you can control stuff like gaining or losing weight, helping others, or planting gardens and giving the fruit of your labors to the poor. Saying "life happens" to justify gaining weight is such a weak excuse.

Who are those 'they' that you are talking about? what excuse and from who, I dont even know what and where are you coming from, when I said life happens means that we all go through ups and down that just what life is , very interesting that was all the got your atention from my post.. You keep going and living life with your perfect radar and I will keep giving a shot to those lazy people with weak excuses that I guess you are refering

They are the multitudes of people who say stuff like, "I lost 85 pounds but then life happened and I gained back 105 pounds." If you read the forums often, you will see that the term "life happens" is mentioned frequently as a reason as to why people gain back part, the same, or more weight back. I don't have a perfect radar. I gained nearly 60 pounds but I don't blame it to "life happens" but to "I decided to lose control over what I was eating". Thanks for your spin, though.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member

They are the multitudes of people who say stuff like, "I lost 85 pounds but then life happened and I gained back 105 pounds." If you read the forums often, you will see that the term "life happens" is mentioned frequently as a reason as to why people gain back part, the same, or more weight back. I don't have a perfect radar. I gained nearly 60 pounds but I don't blame it to "life happens" but to "I decided to lose control over what I was eating". Thanks for your spin, though.

Perfectly acceptable phrase imo. Life does happen but it cna mean several things, they stop logging and get on enjoying things thereby forgetting about their calorie control, but what happens whne people experience really difficult times such as someone dies, they o through a divorce etc. I hardly think they are bothered about eating more if it helps them survive, we ant all be hard nosed about things, there are more importnat things than food consumption.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I haven't read the 300 something replies. But if I was presented with an overweight trainer and a fit, ideal weight one, I would choose the latter. Because he obviously practices what he preaches..
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I hear football defencemen can be pretty big guys. They are also very strong.

A side benefit living in a city with more jobs than workers is that visual minorities are more likely to be hired in to visible positions like "fitness instructor". I include in this list the heavy, the awkward, the mature, and the unbeautiful. One of my Zumba leaders is plump with uneven teeth. She always shows up with her game face though, ready to go.

My personal instructor is an RN and though very fit, is not the slimmest employee in the place. Her advice and knowledge is top notch.

Three cheers for all leaders who charge past our first impressions to prove their competence.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    I haven't read the 300 something replies. But if I was presented with an overweight trainer and a fit, ideal weight one, I would choose the latter. Because he obviously practices what he preaches..
    Just because a person looks a certain way, that doesn't necessarily mean that said person practices what he or she preaches. It also doesn't address whether or not said person is qualified, has good references, gives sound advice, is affable and will be of help to you.

With that in mind, do you still think going by looks alone is wise?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Just because a person looks a certain way, that doesn't necessarily mean that said person practices what he or she preaches. It also doesn't address whether or not said person is qualified, has good references, gives sound advice, is affable and will be of help to you.

Yes I do.

If someone is looking for an "ab workout", who are they going to choose to train them. .. The ripped trainer with a 6 pack or the muffin top trainer?
    In this case, personally I do judge a book by it's cover. As wrong or un pc as it may be..
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    bmele0 wrote: »
    People probably judge me when they look at me- probably think they know what I eat and think I don't exercise.

When they find out I've lost 114 lbs, then their all like- "omg, how did you do it? What's your secret?" *eye roll*

No, it wouldn't bother me to see bigger people, elderly people, disabled people, etc at the gym teaching others. Any person can be an expert on something and may not be living that example at the time. I would do my own research into things as well, but I don't automatically discount someone's advice based on appearance. That's irrational.

This sounds pretty familiar.

BEING fit and LOOKING fit don't necessarily have much to do with each other...especially for those of us who are older, have serious health problems/disabilities, etc.

Most people who work in gyms don't even hold Bachelor's degrees. I wouldn't ever rely on or pay for their "expertise." If I need real help, I will see a physical therapist or a physician.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    People probably judge me when they look at me- probably think they know what I eat and think I don't exercise.

When they find out I've lost 114 lbs, then their all like- "omg, how did you do it? What's your secret?" *eye roll*

No, it wouldn't bother me to see bigger people, elderly people, disabled people, etc at the gym teaching others. Any person can be an expert on something and may not be living that example at the time. I would do my own research into things as well, but I don't automatically discount someone's advice based on appearance. That's irrational.

BEING fit and LOOKING fit don't necessarily have much to do with each other...especially for those of us who are older, have serious health problems/disabilities, etc.

Most people who work in gyms don't even hold Bachelor's degrees. I wouldn't ever rely on or pay for their "expertise." If I need real help, I will see a physical therapist or a physician.

If I need real help as to how to use gym equipment, achieve perfect form on lifts, achieve mini goals like pull ups them I would consult a professional trainer, who has experience, good references and relevant training and walks the walk every day over a doctor who has a wide general medical knowledge

I think these are two different topics ..a doctor is not qualified to give the type of advice you go to a trainer for. People who staff commercial gyms probably aren't either

If my trainer was unable to motivate himself to apply his recommendations to his own body I would see that as a sign that he would be unable to motivate me as well
  • jms5137
    jms5137 Posts: 26 Member
    I didn't really notice whether or not the trainers at my gym were overweight or not, but I do remember seeing trainers let their clients slack off. It was at LA Fitness and I was considering getting a personal trainer, and I just felt that the trainers weren't what I was looking for, especially for the money. I need someone that will push me and not accept me slacking off. I expect a certain intensity level from a personal trainer, but that's my personal preference.
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member

Just because you have a piece of paper saying you are qualified to do something doesn't mean you are any good at it. I know many, many people who have Bachelors in different areas, who are very much out-smarted by people who have no qualification in said area. Plus, Bachelor's don't have a time limit on them-you could get it at 21 years old, and not do anything with that knowledge and have lost most of it by 35.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I hear football defencemen can be pretty big guys. They are also very strong.

You can tell the difference between a 6'2" 300 pound football player and a 6'2" 300 pound couch potato.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member

The above are medical experts trained to address physical issues from a therapeutic, medicinal perspective.
    And they're expensive :*

A Personal Trainer helps with the following; consider:
    • Fitness Goals
    • Exercise Plan
    • Nutrition Guide
    • Training Advice
    • Motivation
    Professional personal trainers have great value - especially when they have demonstrated the principles of success in their own lives. Success is as contagious as failure. That's why being fit in the fitness business is also important.
  • FireYankee
    FireYankee Posts: 45 Member

Yes I do.

If someone is looking for an "ab workout", who are they going to choose to train them. .. The ripped trainer with a 6 pack or the muffin top trainer?
    In this case, personally I do judge a book by it's cover. As wrong or un pc as it may be..

BRAVO!!!

So refreshing to hear someone that doesn't look like Pinnacle_IAO or me say this. At least you won't get the "chauvinist alpha male pig" backlash. HA!
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member

Yes I do.

But isn't that just projecting what YOU want for YOUR body on theirs - irrespective of whether that's a look they like for themselves, or can physically maintain/give enough time to for themselves year in year out? Or do you just need someone you can feel inferior to to keep you motivated to aspire to their build?

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited August 2015

Yes I do.

But isn't that just projecting what YOU want for YOUR body on theirs - irrespective of whether that's a look they like for themselves, or can physically maintain/give enough time to for themselves year in year out? Or do you just need someone you can feel inferior to to keep you motivated to aspire to their build?

I have never aspired to my trainers build...but the fact he is clearly in shape and fit is testament to his knowledge and application and I would expect nothing less from someone who is motivating me to push myself harder than I feel is possible to achieve goals I never thought I would

He is a living embodiment of his own knowledge...why would I trust him if he had a pot belly and double chin? Then it would be just some random fat dude shouting at me :smile:
  • ciacyrus29
    ciacyrus29 Posts: 109 Member
    Where I go I see staff that are physically fit but some who aren't. I've often wondered about it but it they can make fitness fun, give you good advice and encourage you to eat right - then who cares what they look like. Some people don't lose weight the way others do. Look at yourself, did you lose the same way as anyone else here or that you know? No.
    I knew two men, one was a bouncer and the other was a weight lifter. The weight lifter was always telling his clients about bulking up but didn't pay attention to the client he had. He was a sweet man, a big man but sweet. When I first saw him, I said I wanted him as my trainer but after hearing him - I was glad I did get him. I got the bouncer. I thought the bouncer was just a big guy no definition - how could he be a good trainer, but he knew his stuff plus he made me laugh. Although I'm not at that gym anymore, I still keep in touch with him. He is a good resource and I enjoy talking to him. He still makes me laugh.
    Too often we judge people based on the way they look and not on who they are or what they know. If you feel the trainers at your gym aren't giving out great advice, then don't take it. Get into shape and become a trainer yourself if you feel you know better or more.
    I hope you get the body your searching for but just remember, what you see in the mirror may not be what everyone else sees. Don't get so wrapped up in appearance that you forget to see the person.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    if i would ever shell out for a personal trainer

Yes I do.

Personal trainers are not cheap especially a good one. The day I pay for one it would be someone who looks physically fit, and can do what they are expecting me to do and more. Unfortunately thats just the way it is, not projecting, nothing to do with feeling inferior to anyone. Its just trying to get yourself value for money. How am i going to listen to a personal trainer talking about fitness and health when possibly they are not practicing what they preach. And yes i know all sorts could have happened in their personal life that made them then put on weight but still i am not having it.

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited August 2015
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Could not read all the replies...cause well...8 pages. I have started this exact thread before on these forums as my gym has a few large trainers and a few obese trainers.

To me, if you are a trainer, your body is your billboard. Your advertisement. If you can't put into effect the things you are going to have me do, then you aren't a trainer I want. Are there outlying circumstances? Sure, but that is a general thought I have.

Pretty much that.

Doesn't mean I won't be friends with him/her, I won't judge him/her as a person, etc. But I probably won't be hiring him/her professionally.

I also wouldn't hire an accountant who couldn't keep current on his/her own tax filings, a contractor whose house is caving in, nor a vocal coach who can't sing.

I guess I'll go stand over here in the judgey-judgey corner.
  • Therealobi1
    p.s in all the gyms i have been to i have never seen overweight staff .
  • Therealobi1
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Could not read all the replies...cause well...8 pages. I have started this exact thread before on these forums as my gym has a few large trainers and a few obese trainers.

To me, if you are a trainer, your body is your billboard. Your advertisement. If you can't put into effect the things you are going to have me do, then you aren't a trainer I want. Are there outlying circumstances? Sure, but that is a general thought I have.

Pretty much that.

Doesn't mean I won't be friends with him/her, I won't judge him/her as a person, etc. But I probably won't be hiring him/her professionally.

I also wouldn't hire an accountant who couldn't keep current on his/her own tax filings, a contractor whose house is caving in, nor a vocal coach who can't sing.

I guess I'll go stand over here in the judgey-judgey corner.

i will stand there with you. lol